The Instigator
Fanath
Con (against)
Winning
14 Points
The Contender
Lt.Harris
Pro (for)
Losing
0 Points

It is a choice to be gay or straight.

Do you like this debate?NoYes+0
Add this debate to Google Add this debate to Delicious Add this debate to FaceBook Add this debate to Digg  
Post Voting Period
The voting period for this debate has ended.
after 2 votes the winner is...
Fanath
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 5/14/2014 Category: People
Updated: 3 years ago Status: Post Voting Period
Viewed: 680 times Debate No: 54693
Debate Rounds (4)
Comments (7)
Votes (2)

 

Fanath

Con

Pro made this claim in a poll. This is a chance for him to prove his claim.

Gay- A homosexual, attracted to those of the same sex.

Straight- Attracted to those of the opposite sex.

Let's not be stupid and play schematics such as "It's a choice to love your dad, and he may be the same sex as you" for an easy win... I think it's pretty clear what I mean by gay.

First round is for acceptance only. No new arguments in the final round, no plagiarism, and no voting purely based on whoever you agree with. Basically don't be stupid.

Let's start.
Lt.Harris

Pro

I accept. For one, I don't have to prove anything. All I have to show is a single case where this is not true and you, by default have lost.
Debate Round No. 1
Fanath

Con

Nope. The BOP is on whoever makes the positive claim, regardless of whoever makes the first one. I'm arguing that sexual preference is based on genetics and the environment we're raised in, and you're asserting that it's by choice. If anything, the opposite of why you've said it true- If I can prove that it's genetic based in a situation then it would tell how the resolution's false, and you would lose as you're playing Pro.

Arguments:

A study showed that:

"evidence for two sets [of genes] that affect whether a man is gay or straight. But it is not completely determinative; there are certainly other environmental factors involved"[1]

It also declares the mechanics behind the study:

"A study of gay men in the US has found fresh evidence that male sexual orientation is influenced by genes. Scientists tested the DNA of 400 gay men and found that genes on at least two chromosomes affected whether a man was gay or straight"

It isn't what completely determines though. Genes only account for 40% of sexual preference. There is literally no evidence supporting the claim that it's a choice, so the other part is how you're raised.

Thanks.

[1] http://www.theguardian.com...

[2] http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
Lt.Harris

Pro

You admitted that sexual preference was only 40% based on genes and that how you are raised accounts for the other 60%. However, this argument can go in my way. Just because you are raised in a certain way doesn't mean that you believe a certain thing. You can be raised by straight parents and decide that you are gay without having a gene. Take my friend's sister for example, I know she was straight for a while as when my friend and I were younger, she would always talk about how great her boyfriend was and she went through two or three boyfriends. However, she then decided that she was going to be gay. Your sources help with your gene based side but people do have the choice. You also mentioned only men, and not once did you mention women.
Debate Round No. 2
Fanath

Con

"You admitted that sexual preference was only 40% based on genes and that how you are raised accounts for the other 60%. However, this argument can go in my way. Just because you are raised in a certain way doesn't mean that you believe a certain thing. You can be raised by straight parents and decide that you are gay without having a gene. Take my friend's sister for example, I know she was straight for a while as when my friend and I were younger, she would always talk about how great her boyfriend was and she went through two or three boyfriends. However, she then decided that she was going to be gay. Your sources help with your gene based side but people do have the choice. You also mentioned only men, and not once did you mention women"

My opponent is appealing to a personal experience instead of using a compelling argument:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

My opponent has not offered enough evidence to prove his claim. Until he does, his BOP is not yet fulfilled and we have literally no reason to vote for him.
Lt.Harris

Pro

Lt.Harris forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 3
Fanath

Con

Fanath forfeited this round.
Lt.Harris

Pro

Lt.Harris forfeited this round.
Debate Round No. 4
7 comments have been posted on this debate. Showing 1 through 7 records.
Posted by Fanath 3 years ago
Fanath
Not all gay guys were molested....
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 3 years ago
LifeMeansGodIsGood
if a boy molests you when you are a child, you will probably grow up confused about your sexual impulses and become sexually deviant in expressing them. You were not born that way, and God can straighten you out if you trust Him.
Posted by Fanath 3 years ago
Fanath
Your evidence?
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 3 years ago
LifeMeansGodIsGood
yuck. how in the world people can think such dirty stuff is normal........
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 3 years ago
LifeMeansGodIsGood
if you want to be a homo, that is your choice. God never made one man bend over for another man for sexual gratificaton. You don't have to bend over if you dont want to......unless you are being raped by a homo who is strong enough to make you bend over.
Posted by duckman 3 years ago
duckman
It's not a choice I can't choose to be gay im just not if I can't choose to be gay a gay person can't choose not to be gay.
Posted by n7 3 years ago
n7
DudeFanath, an environmental factor doesn't necessary mean how you were raised.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

For example, many people become gay from environmental factors in utero if the mother is producing a lot of estrogen, which has affects the baby. This is likely to happen if the mother has already had a lot of children. This means religious families like catholics and Mormons that have lots of children are more likely to have gay children XD.
2 votes have been placed for this debate. Showing 1 through 2 records.
Vote Placed by SNP1 3 years ago
SNP1
FanathLt.Harris
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Con provided scientific studies for his point, Lt. Harris used the anecdotal logical fallacy. Pro also forfeited first.
Vote Placed by n7 3 years ago
n7
FanathLt.Harris
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Con provided scientific studies demonstrating that being gay is due to genetics and environmental factors. Pro never responded to these, instead he presented anecdotal evidence. This is prone to confirmation bias and statistical bias. Con's source was much more reliable. Pro then forfeits. Losing his chances of winning at all.