Cute_Pirate
Emilrose

It is better to be a pirate than a non-pirate (Resolved)

Emilrose

Cute_Pirate

Pro

Con will be argue that it ain't preferable t' be a pirate, 'n that th' preferred form o' existence be simply that o' bein' a normal human bein'.

Definitions:

1.) Better

a.) more worthy than another

b.) more desirable

2.) Pirate

a.) a sea sailin' human who lives on a galleon 'n loots thin's 'n likes loot.

b.) in popular folklore, a pirate who sails and steals.

Note: Pirates are criminal

Debate Structure:

-First round acceptance, second round opening arguments, third round rebuttals and closing arguments.

Debate rules:

-No forfeits.

-No claiming that pirates are not real, if you do, you lose by default.

-Trolls will be forced to walk the plank.

ARRRGHHH me arties......No...help!.... my FVCKING ARTERIES ARE CLOGGED.....by all this EXCITMENT! WOOOHOOO!

******************************************************************************
Emilrose

Con

I accept!
Cute_Pirate

Pro

WONDERFUL!

Opining argument be as follows.

Pirates have a few good qualities. First of all pirate are bound to no laws they are truly free people living by their own accord and by their own rules.

Picture a large elegant ship with an paradise island back drop and crystal clear oceanic water. As a pirate that is your scenery instead of concrete jungles and over weight sweaty people everywhere.

Pirates have large cannons. Bitches. love. cannons.

Pirates take whatever they want. They steal and kill posh pompous pvssies and take all their money. How WONDERFUL is that? Who doesn't love free monies.

You can kidnap people. Then you can enact your wildest sexual desires on your kidnapped victims. SO on and So forth. More lube is needed. You get the idea.

These are some reasons why being a pirate beats being your average person. I am inclined to go into statistical detail regarding the rate of depression within normal people, but I don't think that's needed yet.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR ARGUMENT! MAY THE FORCE BE WITH ME. WHAT?
Emilrose

Con

Thank you Pro.

Why Pirates are Bad

Well, this is not the first pirate-oriented debate I've had (1.) http://www.debate.org..., so I have extensive knowledge on this topic. I am also from a country in which piracy, at a certain time, was indeed prominent-so, prospective voters should think of me somewhat of a pirate connoisseur.

To address why pirates are bad; the reasons, of which there are many, should be obvious. To emphasize and clarify the primary reasons, I will categorize them hyphen-by-hyphen:

-Pirates steal. And, stealing is illegal. (2.) https://www.hg.org..., and (3.) http://criminal.findlaw.com...

-Pirates are unattractive. It's well-known that pirates have extremely bad hygiene and grooming habits, therefore, they are objectively unattractive.

-Pirates kill people. Once again, there are serious legal implications to killing people, including receiving life-sentences in jail *and* even the death penalty.

This is what U.S law states about intentionally killing other humans:

'Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought. Every murder perpetrated by poison, lying in wait, or any other kind of willful, deliberate, malicious, and premeditated killing; or committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, any arson, escape, murder, kidnapping, treason, espionage, sabotage, aggravated sexual abuse or sexual abuse, child abuse, burglary, or robbery; or perpetrated as part of a pattern or practice of assault or torture against a child or children; or perpetrated from a premeditated design unlawfully and maliciously to effect the death of any human being other than him who is killed, is murder in the first degree.'

Considering that pirates usually kill in an attempt to burgle or rob an individual, they are committing murder in the first degree when/if they kill that individual. I would also note that pirate killings are generally brutal and gruesome, so the courts would likely place great leverage on this alone.

(4.) https://www.law.cornell.edu...

-Pirates are Unhealthy

It should be obvious that leading the pirate lifestyle is an incredibly poor decision on the basis of ones health alone. Pirates have no spiritual nourishment, education, life-goals, or careers. For example, it's unheard of to encounter a pirate with a PhD, and unheard of to encounter a pirate with a good job. In addition, pirates have no access to real healthcare. Granted, pirates can easily maintain a certain degree of physical fitness through their daily physical activities (although they are lazy in regards to not getting a real job), but what happens when one of the pirates becomes sick? And yes, pirates are humans, therefore they do indeed get sick. Assuming that one became a pirate (as Pro is arguing for), and developed a kidney infection: what would he/she do? How would they gain access to antibiotics, given that one needs to a physicians' prescription for antibiotics? And do not even entertain the idea that he could steal the prescription, because the chances are that he will not even know which type of antibiotic to acquire, especially if he's foolish enough to become a pirate in the first place. And of course, antibiotic experts are a rarity of sorts.

Anyway, upon not treating the infection with the necessary medication, a few weeks later, he is one dead pirate-who probably got consumed by sepsis because his kidney infection poisoned his body.

Now, I ask my fellow peers on this site, where is the logic in being a pirate? Let's just summarise my points:

Piracy entails stealing, and stealing is illegal-therefore, you will go to jail if you steal.

Piracy leads to murder, and murder is illegal-therefore, you will go to jail or receive a death sentence if you murder.

Piracy makes you unattractive, and no sane person wishes to be unattractive.

Piracy creates an unhealthy lifestyle; you will die if you become a pirate, no healthcare= poor health, poor health=death. Pirates are not doctors, so they cannot be trusted to look after themselves.

Cute_Pirate

Pro

Your argument seems to be built around an argument regarding what is and what is not legal. Pirates give no fvcks as to what is legal and what is not. They are criminals.

Stealing: Does it matter to a pirate if stealing is legal? No because as a pirate I'd be making a lot of money, stealing is benefiting me and allowing me to live a free life style, it's hurting whoever is stolen from that's not my problem. No one is arguing that stealing is good in a normal society. Because Pirates are not apart of normal society.

Murder: To say murdering is wrong and then bring up the U.S constitution, is not a good move considering the U.S has been at war 222 OUT OF 239 YEARS. They are very clearly a war nation and do not abide by their own constitution, not when they're murdering as many people in war as they are.

Pirates are unattractive: To say pirates are unattractive is committing a stereo type. Not all pirates are the same. That would be like saying all Chinese know Kung-Fu.
If you suddenly turned into a pirate you wouldn't suddenly become unattractive, that would be a prejudicial logical fallacy on your part.
-Beards are totally IN right now.
-Captain Jack sparrow is an example of how pirates can be attractive.
-I can get real kinky in my pirate outfit. So much so that I can't post pictures on here or I might get banned.

Pirates are unhealthy: Americans are some of the fattest people on Earth! How often do you hear tales of a fat pirate? You don't really because all pirates maintain their physical well being by working hard maintaining their ship.
Some pirates might get scurvy, but that's their own fault for not bringing fruit with them, or even dem multi-vits.

Again, not all pirates were unhealthy. People of that time would have been unhealthy in general and were not even aware of germs.

I thusly conclude my rebuttal and extent a few of my previous arguments that I would like my opponent to tackle.

1) Pirates are free and bound by no laws. Slave to your McDonald's job and obesity inducing life style, isn't true freedom. Pirate-hood is something that would make YOU more healthy and something that would make YOU happier. Sure you'd have to shoot a few people, but such is life.

2) It would be a true adventure and a chance to gain some life experience, interesting stories and in turn, become a more interesting human being.

3) One woman one boat. You're at sea with many hung men who want nothing more than to please and impress you. Would they rape you? Not if you commanded respect and gained favor with the largest and most badass pirate aboard. Your crew would be raping common folk anyway. It would be you who would be raping whoever you and your crew kidnapped.

Stealing is illegal yes, but easy money too.
Murdering is illegal yes, but a necessary deed.
Rape is illegal yes, but certainly fun. (You wouldn't have to rape as a pirate but it would make your time at sea easier)

America at war - http://freakonometrics.hypotheses.org...
Emilrose

Con

Rebuttals:

'Your argument seems to be built around an argument regarding what is and what is not legal. Pirates give no fvcks as to what is legal and what is not. They are criminals.'

Pirates are indeed criminals-but my point is that criminality comes with its repercussions, which pirates, should not be exempt to.

'Stealing: Does it matter to a pirate if stealing is legal? No because as a pirate I'd be making a lot of money, stealing is benefiting me and allowing me to live a free life style, it's hurting whoever is stolen from that's not my problem. No one is arguing that stealing is good in a normal society. Because Pirates are not apart of normal society.'

It certainly does the matter to the individuals whom the pirates are stealing from; and, more to the point, to the law. If caught, which is always a possibility, that pirate could receive severe punishment in the form of living his life behind a cell. I acknowledge that pirates don't integrate themselves into society; but, when they kidnap a person and/or hold them for ransom (which modern-day pirates often do), in addition to stealing the possessions they had with them, there is reasonable possibility they will get identified/caught by legal authorities.

'Murder: To say murdering is wrong and then bring up the U.S constitution, is not a good move considering the U.S has been at war 222 OUT OF 239 YEARS. They are very clearly a war nation and do not abide by their own constitution, not when they're murdering as many people in war as they are.'

Firstly, I never commented on the morality of murder-as this is a complex area at best. I merely stated that murder committed by individuals is illegal and thus punishable. Whether the U.S kills people illegitimately is irrelevant, as we are referring to general citizenry/persons and not nation states.

'Pirates are unattractive: To say pirates are unattractive is committing a stereo type. Not all pirates are the same. That would be like saying all Chinese know Kung-Fu.'

'If you suddenly turned into a pirate you wouldn't suddenly become unattractive, that would be a prejudicial logical fallacy on your part.'

Incorrect. Piracy makes you unattractive by default.

'-Beards are totally IN right now.'

They are not. Only stubble is attractive on a man, not fully-developed beards.

'-Captain Jack sparrow is an example of how pirates can be attractive.'

Captain Jack Sparrow is a fictional character, and an unattractive one at that. He's a lewd drunkard who wears eyeliner and never washes or combs his hair, and that's just the actor who plays him.

'-I can get real kinky in my pirate outfit. So much so that I can't post pictures on here or I might get banned.'

Nobody needs to know how 'kinky' you can get in your pirate outfit. This is a debate website, please show some respect and stop degrading the place. People who make sexual remarks like that on a site for debating should be banned without question.

'Pirates are unhealthy: Americans are some of the fattest people on Earth! How often do you hear tales of a fat pirate? You don't really because all pirates maintain their physical well being by working hard maintaining their ship.'

'Some pirates might get scurvy, but that's their own fault for not bringing fruit with them, or even dem multi-vits.'

I will agree that Americans are very fat and unhealthy, but just because most pirates present as slim: it does not mean they are in complete good-health. Even if they bring fruit or multivitamins, these supplies will require replenishment as soon as the pirate consumes them all. Unless he is planning to rob a supermarket or chemist, where will he get such commodities from? So, the chances of a pirate developing scurvy are very high.

'1) Pirates are free and bound by no laws. Slave to your McDonald's job and obesity inducing life style, isn't true freedom. Pirate-hood is something that would make YOU more healthy and something that would make YOU happier. Sure you'd have to shoot a few people, but such is life.'

As I have already made clear: piracy does not make you more healthy or indeed more happier. Many SS officers had to shoot people, but there is no sufficient evidence that it actually made them happier; especially considering some of the alcohol consumed. One could even get the impression that they were trying to numb their feelings.

'2) It would be a true adventure and a chance to gain some life experience, interesting stories and in turn, become a more interesting human being.'

One can gain life experience by dating an Asian with two fingers and one eye; life experience is in itself totally subjective, so is the concept of an 'interesting human being', I.e, what you may find interesting, I may not. But, I emphasize, it doesn't mean that either of us are wrong.

'3) One woman one boat. You're at sea with many hung men who want nothing more than to please and impress you. Would they rape you? Not if you commanded respect and gained favor with the largest and most badass pirate aboard. Your crew would be raping common folk anyway. It would be you who would be raping whoever you and your crew kidnapped.'

I'm somewhat disappointed that Pro has to use this as a contention. He (and I do believe that Pro is a he) believes that just because I'm a slutty woman, I want to be at sea with a group of hung pirates.

'Stealing is illegal yes, but easy money too.'

One could always become a politician, lawyer or a banker and try legal extortion.

'Murdering is illegal yes, but a necessary deed.'

In some instances it may be necessary, but the law would not consider it so for stealing, and as a modern-day pirate in (likely) a western country, you really would be quite vulnerable.

'Rape is illegal yes, but certainly fun. (You wouldn't have to rape as a pirate but it would make your time at sea easier)'

Indeed, but I can't rape someone if I don't have anything to rape them with, it would require a hardened penis on the man's part (in order for me to forcibly place my vagina on it and then insert it inside me...and how would I do against his wishes?) This is ridiculous.

Vote Con!
Posted by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 7 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Posted by whiteflame 7 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: zmikecuber// Mod action: Removed<

4 points to Con (S&G, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Pro's pirate talk was annoying. So S/G to Con. Pro's arguments rested upon the thrill of piracy mostly. However, Con pointed out that many of these "thrills" (assuming you take pleasure in rape and pillaging, which most people likely don't), come with societal repercussions and usually very harsh punishments. Con's arguments could have been slightly stronger here, had she actually indicated say how many pirates have been hung, etc. However the arguments do suffice. Pro counters this by saying something like "Arr! Pirates don't care about laws!" but that really misses the whole point of Con's argument. Con doesn't actually argue regarding any sort of morality, other than a very self-centered one. Pro claims that it's good to be a pirate from a selfish point of view, and Con refutes this by showing that it's bad to be a pirate from a selfish point of view. Con's arguments are more compelling because even if Pro's arguments are true, Con's are still true and you still end up a dead pirate

[*Reason for removal*] The voter"s annoyance with the way that Pro wrote some of his arguments is not sufficient reason to award S&G. It must be clear that the way it was written impeded understanding of his argument.
************************************************************************
Posted by Masterful 7 months ago
Masterful
I don't like how Mike gave a point for grammar, as it was legible. It was also themed imo.
Posted by Masterful 7 months ago
Masterful
-ROUND 1-

R1 Sets the rules and defines pirate, but we're not informed whether the pirate is a modern Somali pirate, or a historical pirate. Big difference.

-ROUND 2-
Pro sets the scene and tells us that pirate acquire easy money and sex.

Con uses a law based argument to refute the above points. Con points out pirate steal and kill people.
Con points out that pirates are ugly and unhealthy.

-ROUND 3-

Pro states that pirates give no fucks about law, so it doesn't matter to them. While true, I believe such mentality leads to an early grave.
Pro states that pirates can just take multi-vit.
Points out con's stereotyping of pirates, but isn't that what this is all about? lol
extends 3 arguments.

Con tells us that committing these crimes will force the law to take action, you may end up dead for pillaging.
Con argues that pirates are not attractive, but this is subjective.

Ultimately, I find that the most convincing reasons to become a pirate is to escape life and take to a new one, raping and murdering Sounds okay, but I don't need to become a pirate to rape and murder, I do that anyway.

Base on that key point. I will not become a pirate.
Posted by Emilrose 8 months ago
Emilrose
I never used the term 'dude', as that's an awful word. But if you insist on your womanhood then I shall take you word for it ;)
Posted by Cute_Pirate 8 months ago
Cute_Pirate
The only reason you are calling me a dude is because you are intimidated by my sexy body. Look at my titties. They juicy.

Besides I did not know u were a slut so when I wrote the hung pirate part, I was not suggesting that would be fitting for you, just women in general.
Believe me this debate was not aimed at yourself.
Posted by Cute_Pirate 8 months ago
Cute_Pirate
As a woman I could rape a man or even another woman.
Posted by Idprefertoremainanonymous 8 months ago
Idprefertoremainanonymous
I believe Emilrose also forgot that spending long periods of time on a ship surrounded by men tends to lead to homosexuality. So being a pirate could make you like a trap.
Posted by Emilrose 8 months ago
Emilrose
dirty pirate
Vote Placed by Masterful 7 months ago
Masterful
Cute_PirateEmilroseTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD IN COMMENTS