Pfalcon1318
Wylted

It is better to have lived as a Christian (or theist), than have lived as an Atheist (or non-theist)

Wylted

Pfalcon1318

Con

MY POSITION: It is better to have lived as an Atheist than as a Christian.

MY OPPONENT's POSITION: It is better to have lived as a Christian than as an Atheist.

I am doing my best to make this debate impossible to accept. If you wish to debate this topic, please comment.If you wish to select a different theistic viewpoint, please state this in the comments, otherwise i will assume you will be debating in favor of Christianity.

First Round is for Acceptance ONLY. Any arguments will be disregarded by myself and the audience.

Second Round is for Opening Statements. PRO may not bring any rebuttals.

Third Round is for Rebuttals. PRO may not defend his postion.

Fourth Round is for Defense and One Cross-Examination Question.
-This Cross Examination question may be used to glean information from your opponent. The only requirement is that this question may NOT be created fromcircular reasoning, nor may it be a complex question, i.e. Have you stopped beating your wife yet? which implies the person being asked at one time did beat their wife. Any questions with this style of reasoning are not allowed.

Final Round is for Concluding Statements and Answering the CX Question.

Any deviations from this outline will result in a lose of the conduct point. A Forfeiture will result in the lost of the conduct point as well. Two or more Forfeitures will result in the lose of all 7 points, however. Please be aware of this rule.

We will NOT be debating the existence of God. We will ONLY be debating how the respective lives of an Atheist and a Theism differ, and which one would lead to the most happiness, and overall fulfillment. We will NOT presuppose that Atheists have no moral grounding, nor will we presuppose that Theists have moral grounding. You must provide evidence of, and arguments for this.

Plagarism is not allowed. Nor are you allowed to copy and paste an argument, and then utilize a citation to give credit to the person that originally stated that argument. All arguments must be your own.

Quoting a religious texts is allowed. Please cite the scripture and the testament wherein it lies (Old or New), then interpret the scripture, and subsequently explain WHY it relates to happiness and fullfillment.

Utilizing other philosphies of life is allowed.

As we are namely comparing and contrasting, each debater MUST show how (Theism or Atheism/Non-theism) is better than the opposing viewpoint. I will be select the Philosophy of freethought. From this point forward, "Freethinker" will need to replace "Atheist"

Freethought is a process by which one arrives at their beliefs and opinions. Freethinkers do not rely upon tradition, dogma, or the opinions of the authorities in order to reach their beliefs and opinions. Reason, logic, science, empiricism, and evidence are key to freethought. While Freethought does not always imply atheism, freethinking's general components tend to lead to such a belief system.

http://www.freewebs.com...; source for the above information. It is difficult to find an online explanation of Freethought, but this is the most commonly agreed upon explanation.

The Burden of Proof will be shared. You must provide arguments, evidence, and support to display how your philosophy is more likely to result in happiness and overall fulfillment, AND give reasons why this is not the case for the opposing philosophy.

Good luck to you. I hope this will be a challenging and enlightening debate for both of us.
Wylted

Pro

Pfalcon1318

Con

I will have to pass this round. I apologize to the audience and my opponent.

Wylted

Pro

To insure a fair debate, I will wait until next round to make an argument and postpone rebuttals until round 4. If my opponent is short on time, then I welcome him to just use as many premises as he has time for. I will match the number of premises he uses, if he uses 3 or less.
Pfalcon1318

Con

Pfalcon1318 forfeited this round.
Wylted

Pro

My opponent has, sent me a pm, letting me know he forfeits this entire debate.
Pfalcon1318

Con

Pfalcon1318 forfeited this round.
Wylted

Pro

My opponent forfeits.
Pfalcon1318

Con

Pfalcon1318 forfeited this round.
Wylted

Pro

Opponent forfeits.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 3 years ago
Pfalcon1318
Just came back from the hospital. i will not be able to construct my argument within the next 4 hrs. i apologize for the inconvenience.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Ok
Posted by Pfalcon1318 3 years ago
Pfalcon1318
you're welcome. please be aware of the outlining for the rounds of this debate.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
Posted by Pfalcon1318 3 years ago
Pfalcon1318
they are. I'll edit the debate.
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
The time constraints are just now because I'm busy. If the rounds are 72 hours I'm fine.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 3 years ago
Pfalcon1318
I am not sure i understand what you mean, @Wylted. You said "I don't have time now to respond to everything you say, though.", but insist you would like to debate. Can you please explain? I don't to begin a debate but then have one of us forfeit due to time constrains,
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
I can give you a challenge and work with any presuppositions you want. I trust you to be fair. I don't have time now to respond to everything you say, though.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 3 years ago
Pfalcon1318
One thing that i did not notice when i laid the outline for this debate was that there is a middle ground, where there is no "better". I am not sure how that will play out, but it should be interesting.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 3 years ago
Pfalcon1318
I shall edit-in whoever requests first. If you would like to debate you may say. The normal operation of the system is first come first served. I just wanted to make sure that whoever chose to debate me is willing to make this as intellectually challenging as best.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
Pfalcon1318WyltedTied
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
Pfalcon1318WyltedTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for the forfeits. It seems Con forfeited the whole debate, so though there were no arguments from anyone, I'm awarding arguments to Pro.