iluvkitty
ulorp

It is better to work in a cat sanctuary than a dog sanctuary. Do you agree?

ulorp
Started: 2/15/2015 Category: Funny

iluvkitty

Pro

Cats are better than dogs. It would be nice to rescue cats and stay with them. Cats are so affectionate. I feel so sad that people abandon cats. If I could rescue some, it would make my day! I could make sure the cat gets a nice new start. I would not want to work in a dog sanctuary because they can be dangerous. Dogs are also unhygienic. I love cats way more! Cats are so cute- especially kittens. I love making bonds with cats. I love them and they love me! It is better to work in a cat sanctuary!
ulorp

Con

Key Terms:

better: greater in excellence or higher in quality.

cat: a small domesticated carnivorous mammal with soft fur, a short snout, and retractile claws. It is widely kept as a pet or for catching mice, and many breeds have been developed.

dangerous: full ofdanger or risk; causing danger; perilous; risky; hazardous; unsafe.

dog: a domesticated carnivorous mammal that typically has a long snout, an acute sense of smell, and a barking, howling, or whining voice. It is widely kept as a pet or for work or field sports.

sanctuary: a place of refuge or safety.

unhygienic: Lacking hygiene, unclean.

In this debate, we will attempt to prove that it is not better to work in a cat sanctuary than a dog sanctuary. First we will demonstrate that pro’s argument does not effectively establish that it is better to work in a cat sanctuary. Next we will examine the merits of working in a dog sanctuary over a cat sanctuary.

The affirmative fails to establish any solid basis for the argument that it is better to work in a cat sanctuary than a dog sanctuary. The basis of their argument is that cats are better than dogs which is informed by a series of generalizations about cats and dogs. These generalizations that the affirmative uses as the basis of their argument is a logical fallacy known as the fallacy of defective induction. This fallacy is a conclusion that has been made on the basis of weak premises. The affirmative relies on unsubstantiated claims to support their argument, attempting to prove their case using matters of personal preference.

Pro has stated that cats are better than dogs (and therefore it is better to work in a cat sanctuary than a dog sanctuary) because they “love making bonds with cats” and they “love [cats] and [cats] love me,” among other things. These claims fail to establish that cats are universally better than dogs and that it would be better to work in a cat sanctuary than a dog sanctuary because they are based in Pro’s own personal preference. Because pro does not provide substantial proof outside of personal preference toward cats and dogs and does not provide proof that this personal preference is widely supported, their argument is weak and does not establish that it is universally better, for every person, to work in a cat sanctuary than a dog sanctuary.

Pro’s attempts to prove that working in a dog sanctuary would be inferior to working in a cat sanctuary are unsuccessful. Pro states that dogs “can be dangerous” and “are also unhygienic.” These claims, however, are based in generalizations and not solid proof. In reality, cat bites are far more dangerous than dog bites and are more likely to land the bite victim in the hospital. Because cats have sharp teeth, their bites can send bacteria deep into the skin, causing bad infections.(1)

Pro claims in their argument that dogs are unhygienic, but cats actually are more unhygienic. One of the dangers that arise from the unhygienic nature of cats is an increased risk of contracting Toxoplasma gondii, or T. gondii a parasite that is spread through cat feces.(2) Cats go to the bathroom inside whereas dogs go outside, so there is an increased risk of coming into contact with parasite-ridden feces while working in a cat sanctuary as opposed to working in a dog sanctuary. Therefore, not only are dog bites less dangerous, working in a dog sanctuary will not put you in constant contact with feces with parasites.

In conclusion, it is not better to work in a cat sanctuary than a dog sanctuary. This is due to the unhygienic nature of cats and the dangers that come out of working with cats. Dogs are less dangerous animals; therefore it would be much better to work in a dog sanctuary than a cat sanctuary.

(1):http://www.consumeraffairs.com...

(2):http://theweek.com...

iluvkitty

Pro

iluvkitty forfeited this round.
ulorp

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round. I will allow him to to respond in the next round.

iluvkitty

Pro

iluvkitty forfeited this round.
ulorp

Con

My opponent has forfeited this debate. Please vote for me.
Posted by ulorp 2 years ago
ulorp
Russia_The_Almighty didn't accept the debate. I did.
Posted by iluvkitty 2 years ago
iluvkitty
It is not aimed at one country ie. russia. Why did you accept this debate then?
Posted by Russia_The_almighty 2 years ago
Russia_The_almighty
In Soviet Russia, dog and cat sanctuaries are nonexistent. I found that out.
Russia_The_almighty
If this debate was only "Cats are better than Dogs" I'd accept it. For sanctuary wise I'd wouldn't really care which one I worked in.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
iluvkittyulorpTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
iluvkittyulorpTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
iluvkittyulorpTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture