Gaz_J03
allday

It is consequentially ethical how Facebook treat user privacy?

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Gaz_J03

Pro

What are people's opinions on Facebook's treatment of user's privacy? Is it ethical (from a consequentialist point of view)?

I figured people will be more inclined to think it's unethical so I've taken the opposing arguement....

I agree that their constant privacy chances are too often, it's wrong that you have to opt-out, not opt-in, to sharing when many of these policy changes take place and that, despite their claims, real control has been taken away from the user despite there being a greater number of complex options to control privacy.

However, Facebook is a business. They have staff, infrastructure and numerous other costs. In addition they have taken some major investment over the years, much beyond what is justified by their turnover and at some point these investors will want a return. You don't pay to use Facebook so surely it's inevitable they will constantly keep trying to figure out to maximise return from their customers?

I often hear people complain they are not happy yet they continue to use the service. I can only assume therefore that they see more benefit from the service than they feel it costs in privacy. For this reason I think it is ethical as, by using its customer's data in this way it can secure its future, not have to charge users and also satisfy its shareholders. Ok, there is a cost, but is this not outweighed by the benefits? If people disagree they can freely quit whenever they want and find an alternative service or solution anyway. So surely this in itself should prevent Facebook tipping the balance too far in their favour?
allday

Con

I for one, will say that I am somewhat bothered by the fact that the privacy changes on Facebook.

However, if one is a responsible consumer, they would periodically check the settings for revealing settings. As long as the settings get checked, and then adjusted, all should be well. Facebook may be at fault for not telling everyone when they change things, but we are also at fault for not expecting such exposures to our information.

As long as one is self aware, privacy is all around safe.
Gaz_J03

Pro

As I'm new, I'm not sure what the proper practice is here, but you've agreed with me, not argued against me! I'm "pro" it being ethical. Whereas I was looking for somebody to come along and take the counter-argument to this and say it's NOT ethical...

If I switch now it's going to get confusing, even though I don't actually agree with what you have said. :).
allday

Con

sorry, i took it as you thought that facebook was in the wrong.

your opening argument was pretty vague.
Gaz_J03

Pro

I'm not sure what you mistook? There is the argument title and next to it is my user name with "Pro" in bold. You have "Con" next to yours.

Second line: "I figured people will be more inclined to think it's unethical so I've taken the opposing argument...."

Also "For this reason I think it is ethical...."

I have made points regarding the negative side but that is in the nature of the consequentialist argument. It's not just that something is right or wrong in itself.

I understand people make mistakes, but please don't try and blame the argument put forward when in fact you didn't read it or understand it properly. I actually can see both sides of the argument and that's why I thought it would make a good debate.

Unfortunately I don't think I can delete your posts or close this now. I have reposted for anybody wishing to take up this debate.
allday

Con

allday forfeited this round.
Gaz_J03

Pro

Gaz_J03 forfeited this round.
allday

Con

allday forfeited this round.
Gaz_J03

Pro

Gaz_J03 forfeited this round.
allday

Con

allday forfeited this round.
Posted by lucyalice1989 6 years ago
lucyalice1989
Facebook encourages unethical drama, it has so many applications including its main one being a questionare on personal subjects concerning friends! it has very hurtfull questions. facebook is pulling people in to make them believe "other people's opinions are what matters most".
Posted by baggins 6 years ago
baggins
Thanks for clarification.
Posted by Gaz_J03 6 years ago
Gaz_J03
Sorry, I mean ethical from a consequentialist point of view rather than saying something is either morally right or wrong on as an action in itself. E.g. absolutist point of view might be that killing is wrong. However, the consequentialist would look at the outcome and therefore decide, perhaps, killing to protect your family is morally right. i.e. the means justify the ends.
Posted by baggins 6 years ago
baggins
What is the meaning of 'consequentially ethical'?
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Gaz_J03alldayTied
Reasons for voting decision: FAIL DEBATE, as both sides dropped out... (checking the voting period debates, from Least To Most votes. By giving this one, it won't be prioritized in the system anymore.)