DouggyFresh
TheOrator

It is generally unfair for women to get angry at men for leaving the toilet seat up

DouggyFresh

DouggyFresh

Pro

Re-posted debate. Did not receive any rebuttals fist time around.

Round 1 Acceptance and definitions
Round 2-3 New arguments and rebuttals
Round 4 Rebuttals and conclusion

Voters, please try and leave personal opinions aside and assign points on the specified categories :) I know it's hard, but try.
TheOrator

Con

haha, this looks pretty fun, I accept :). As the rules state, I'll list some definitions

Unfair: Not just or evenhanded; biased: an unfair call by an umpire.[1]

Generally:
a. As a rule; usually: The child generally has little to say.
b. For the most part: a generally boring speech.[2]

Works Cited:
1.) http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
2.) http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
DouggyFresh

Pro

It is generally unfair for women to get angry at a man when he leaves the toilet seat up.

I'd like to define a few things before I start.

Anger: n. A strong feeling of displeasure or hostility.
"Up position": Both the toilet lid and seat are vertical.
"Down position": The toilet lid is vertical, and the seat is horizontal.
"Closed position": Both the toilet seat and lid are horizontal.
“Using the toilet” or “Use the toilet” and so on: Urination and/or defecation in the toilet.

Premise 1: A toilet seat is generally much more likely to be found in the down or closed position than in the up position.

Premise 2: Women never have to raise the seat of the toilet in order to use it, and men are much more likely to encounter a toilet seat in the position they do not need it in.

Premise 3: Men do not generally get angry at women for leaving a toilet seat or lid down when they go to urinate in the toilet and find it is not already in the required position.

Premise 4: Anger is much more likely to be directed at someone or something if the person experiencing the anger knows that that someone or something is definitely the cause of the event that triggered their anger.

Premise 5: When a woman encounters a toilet seat left in the up position, she (rightfully) places the blame for such an event occurring on a known or unknown man who also uses that toilet.

Premise 6: When a man enters the bathroom to find the toilet seat in a position other than the one he needs it in, based only on the position of the toilet seat (and not on any other factors like only being 2 people in the house, or seeing a woman come out of the bathroom prior to his entering it,) there is no way for him to be sure if it was a woman that used if before him.

Premise 7: Men are at a disadvantage in regards to leaving evidence that they used the bathroom last; the male gender is the only gender associated with a singular position of a toilet seat.

---------------------------------------Explanations---------------------------------------------------------------

Premise 1
Since I could not find any credible sources for this statement, I appeal to pure and simple logic.
Assuming that a woman will never leave the toilet seat in the up position, a woman will either leave the toilet seat in the down or closed position.
Given that males also use the toilet for the purpose of defecation, and assuming that said male will not raise the seat after he has defecated, a male could leave a toilet in any of the three positions.
Since the only scenario in which the toilet seat is left in the up position is when a male uses the toilet for urination AND he does not lower the seat and/or lid after he does this, AND since there is no reason to believe that males generally urinate more often than females do, I surmise that premise 1 must be true.

Premise 2 a
The only configuration a woman needs a toilet to be in for her to use it is the down position. Regardless of her purpose for using the toilet, if the toilet seat is in any of the other 2 positions, she will need to either raise the lid, or lower the seat. Therefore, as far as a woman is concerned, the only position she will ever need the toilet seat to be in before she uses it is the down position.

Premise 2 b
How this supports my argument is in the fact that men are accustomed to the fact that, when preparing to use the toilet, they may need to adjust the position of the toilet seat before they use it. It follows from premise 1 that since the seat is down the majority of the time, men are accustomed to the knowledge that it is likely they will have to adjust the toilet seat before using the toilet.

Premise 3
A man is not going to get angry in a fashion similar to a situation in premise 5, because it is entirely possible that he is the one who left the seat in this position. Additionally, when a man goes to the bathroom and finds the toilet seat down, it is possible he will be using it to defecate, and thus there is much less likely to be anger being associated with a gender.

Premise 4
Anger is much more likely to be directed at someone or something if the person experiencing the anger knows that that someone or something is definitely the cause of the event that triggered their anger. [1][2]

Premise 5
When a woman encounters a toilet seat left in the up position, she (rightfully) places the blame for such an event occurring on a known or unknown man who also uses that toilet, as per premise 7. I’m not saying this happens every time a woman uses a toilet, but if the woman is in a state of mind where she is at an increased likelihood to be irritated or find fault, then finding a toilet seat up is an easy target, since men are the only gender to do that.

Premise 6
This is an important statement. This establishes that the only gender that can be definitively assigned blame for the way a toilet seat is left is males, because the up position is mutually exclusive to the male gender.

Premise 7
Men are at a disadvantage in regards to leaving evidence that they used the bathroom last. A toilet seat being left up is always from a man. There is no position of the toilet seat that is strictly associated with women. Therefore this is a disadvantage.

Women are more likely to find the toilet seat in the position they need it in (premises 1 and 2). Women getting angry at men for the seat being in a position they don’t need it in is unfair, because women suffer from this situation less than the party they are directing their anger at, who do not get angry at them for doing a similar thing (premise 3). Women get angry because they know who did it, which is not in itself a valid reason, and is irrational (premises 4 and 5). Men cannot place blame solely on women for the toilet seat being left in an undesirable position (premises 6 and 7). Therefore, it is generally unfair for women to get angry at a man when he leaves the toilet seat up.

[1]http://www.oprah.com...
[2]http://www.angriesout.com...
TheOrator

Con

Dude, I feel so guilty for this, but ever since I got a mouse virus on my laptop I can't stay online for more than five minutes without being so spammed by right click boxes that I can't do anything. I'm typing this from my phone, but I don't think Is be able to give a valid argument from it. If you're willing, Id be more than willing to challenge you to this debate if and when I get it fixed.

Tldr: I concede due to technical failures. Vote pro
DouggyFresh

Pro

Argh. Defeat through victory. The sincerest kind of defeat.
Scotty, extend... all points.
Lock on....... all phasers. ....... .. .. ..... . ........... Fire.
TheOrator

Con

Damn this mouse virus... i won't be able to debate for quite a while.
Posted by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
Some readers may be unaware of the hazards of leaving the seat up. James Jackson Kilpatrick wrote "In Search of the Savage Bijoona" publicizing the danger of the seat falling unexpectedly from the up position, a "bijoona," with the danger of user injury. http://cphs68.com... It was the mission of the Bijoona Society to report and classify such events. Be aware.
Posted by DouggyFresh 4 years ago
DouggyFresh
Balls. Anyone want to take Con on this debate?
Vote Placed by girg 4 years ago
girg
DouggyFreshTheOratorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con told me to do it.....
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
DouggyFreshTheOratorTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF... HAPPY NOW?!?!
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 4 years ago
Ore_Ele
DouggyFreshTheOratorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con told me to vote Pro, and I always listen to Cons.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
DouggyFreshTheOratorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments were unanswered.