shakuntala
alexmiller887

It is great that the National Library of Australia has selected colin leslie dean for preservation

Started: 6/14/2014 Category: Arts

shakuntala

Pro

The National Library of Australia has selected colin leslie dean via Gamahucher Press for preservation
http://pandora.nla.gov.au...

I think this is great that colin leslie dean work -Gamahucher press published- is preserved -because -for free download- which I think is a great thing

If you dont go to the link and see the book-for free- then there is no point to debate
alexmiller887

Con

You'd better give some VERY good reasons, shakuntala.
If the only reason is because you are him, then there is no point.
shakuntala

Pro

"con says

If the only reason is because you are him, then there is no point."

I will take your word that you have gone to the site-do you give your word?

as to your argument
1)
as I said in the first round
colin leslie dean being preserved is a great thing -because his work will be free -for download for ever
2)
how many poets give all their works away for free and if some do this great but I bet colin leslie dean is only one of a few

3) if you go to http://pandora.nla.gov.au...
you will see that colin leslie deans work is considered by the National Library of Austral to be of cultural value

note the guidelines says
"In the case of online publications, content is the pre-eminent factor determining selection"
"recognised authority and constitute a contribution to international knowledge"
be on a subject of ..., cultural, religious, scientific or economic significance and relevance to Australia "

"4.1 Australian content

4.1.1 To be selected for national preservation, a significant proportion of a work should

be about Australia (7); or
be on a subject of social, political, cultural, religious, scientific or economic significance and relevance to Australia and be written by an Australian author; or

be written by an Australian (8) of recognised authority and constitute a contribution to international knowledge.

4.1.2 It may be located on either an Australian or an overseas server. Australian authorship or editorship alone is insufficient grounds for national preservation. In the case of online publications, content is the pre-eminent factor determining selection
alexmiller887

Con

ARRGH!
Shakuntala, has it ever occurred to you that people would trust you more if you stopped referring to colin leslie dean in the third person?
As I said, even though the library thinks that you are of cultural value, or whatever it is, then that does not necessarily mean that it is 'great that the National Library of Australia has selected colin leslie dean' . That is not a bad piece of evidence- but it does not support your resolution.
shakuntala

Pro

con says
"it is, then that does not necessarily mean that it is 'great that the National Library of Australia has selected colin leslie dean"

as I said it is great because his work is free for download for ever
and
not many poets give their work away for free

and as pointed out in the library godliness

it is great that colin leslie deans work has been recognized as being of cultural value

you did not tell us if you have visited the library site with deans work
alexmiller887

Con

'If you dont go to the link and see the book-for free- then there is no point to debate'
Wow. So you are actually assuming that I did not read it? Yes, I read it.
'as I said it is great because his work is free for download for ever'
So, it is 'great that the National Library of Australia has selected colin leslie dean for preservation' because 'as I said it is great because his work is free for download for ever'
I fail to see your reasoning. Thanks for the easy win, BTW.
shakuntala

Pro

I have backed up my claim by citing the National Library of Australia guidelines -which show they regard colin nleslie dean work as being of cultural value-which Is great

I gave 3 reason why I think it is great
"as I said it is great because his work is free for download for ever
and

it is great that colin leslie deans work has been recognized as being of cultural value"

con has given no arguments only assertions
thus I should win
alexmiller887

Con

Ohhkay.
So, according to you, if I have understood you right, you are actually saying that simply because it has happened , it is a good thing.
'Not many poets...'
Well, yes, but think about it. The greatest poets do actually give their work away for free, thanks to the internet.
Suddenly you no longer are the only one!
'it is great that colin leslie deans work has been recognized as being of cultural value"'
And why would that be? You have no basis on which to say this, because I have just proven you wrong.
Now to my point, which is simply that;
If you have been selected, it does not neccesarily mean that it is 'great'.
Now great, according to the dictionary means
4.
wonderful; first-rate; very good: We had a great time. That's great!
Now, because they selected does not mean that a) It is of cultural value which you have been assuming all along and b) that it is a good thing.
Thank you for reading, vote good poetry and taste, vote con.

Posted by alexmiller887 2 years ago
alexmiller887
Thanks, oculus.
Posted by oculus_de_logica 2 years ago
oculus_de_logica
Alex... you're loosing against Shakuntala. I can't believe I just said that but he is somehow making a better case than you on the sole ground that he is actually making a case. you've so far only made assertions and offered no counter evidence.
Posted by alexmiller887 2 years ago
alexmiller887
Bworp!Bworp!Bworp!Bworp!
Bad poetry approaching ,Captain.
What will we do?
Posted by Oromagi 2 years ago
Oromagi
Vogon Alert!