Mikeee
Maikuru

It is impossible to bring back someone who has died back to the present (In a living state).

Maikuru

Mikeee

Pro

Pro will have to demonstrate why it is impossible to bring someone back from the dead to the present state in a healthy living state (as healthy as they where when they where living)
Con will have to demonstrate that it is possible to bring someone back from the dead and that it will not cause any damage

Not a religious debate
Maikuru

Con

I would like to thank Mikeee for proposing this topic for debate. I find it interesting and look forward to an informative and entertaining exchange.

My opponent's terms, "living" and "dead," are two of the most disputed terms in the English language. The commonplace definition of one depends upon the definition of the other [1][2], there is little consensus on what terminology is appropriate in what circumstances, and there are many commonly accepted forms of life and death [3]. That being said, this debate is a relatively straightforward one. After all, it is not only possible to bring humans back from the dead, it is commonplace.

Contention: It Happens Every Day

To the medical community, death is most often defined as a process involving the cessation of cardiovascular activity, respiratory activity, and a lack of brain activity [4][5]. For many minutes into this process, despite being clinically dead [6], an individual can still be harmlessly revived. Defibrillators, which produce a low-level electrical current through the heart, and other emergency cardiac measures are used daily to return normal functioning to a dead patient's body and bring them back to a healthy, unharmed living state [7]. Some surgeries go so far as to actually induce such a death state in patients for short periods of time [6, see: Controlled Clinical Death]. Indeed, modern medicine is an amazing thing!

Pro's initial claim that it is impossible to bring someone back who has died is proven false by basic scientific fact. While the terminology in question may be an historical grey area, clinical death is both recognized medically worldwide as the end of life and wholly reversible with today's technology. The resolution is negated.

References

1. http://www.merriam-webster.com...
2. http://www.merriam-webster.com...
3. http://library.thinkquest.org...
4. http://www.horizonresearch.org...
5. http://dying.about.com...
6. http://en.wikipedia.org...
7. http://emedicine.medscape.com...
Mikeee

Pro

Mikeee forfeited this round.
Maikuru

Con

Extend my arguments.
Mikeee

Pro

Mikeee forfeited this round.
Maikuru

Con

Extend my arguments.
Mikeee

Pro

Mikeee forfeited this round.
Maikuru

Con

Maikuru forfeited this round.
Posted by Mikeee 5 years ago
Mikeee
Unexpected things as in, things more important than this, but I'm sure you would know kohai ....
Posted by medic0506 5 years ago
medic0506
It is indeed possible to bring someone back from a state of death. We do it all the time on ambulances and in emergency rooms. As a paramedic, with God's help I have revived 11 people who were dead when I found them, or died in my unit. Those people are still alive and suffered no brain damage, or loss of function. I've also been revived three times myself, following heart attacks, and am now back at work as a medic.
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
It should be noted that Defibrillators do not function on those with no heartbeat, despite what hollywood likes to suggest (House MD lied to us again). It is used when the heart is irregular and about to stop altogether. Just saying.

http://www.wisegeek.com...
Posted by kohai 5 years ago
kohai
Unexpected things? I.e. you can't win this debate!
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Simply make your counter-argument and it will be as though it's a 2 round debate.
Posted by Mikeee 5 years ago
Mikeee
I'm sorry for not debating this with you, I've gotten busy with unexpected things I had to take care of. If you still want to debate this you can re-open the debate and I will except it, If not that's okay too. I will not be posting anything for the last round.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Ryan, I really wish you had not said that.
Posted by ryan_thomas 5 years ago
ryan_thomas
They can shock the heart untill it starts beating again.
Posted by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Is this a joke-debate? How can anyone seriously prove that it is possible to bring someone back from the dead?
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 5 years ago
Man-is-good
MikeeeMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Mikee forfeited more and trapped himself with his use of vague terms such as "living" or "dead", the latter of which, in a medical context, can be defined as the lack of cardiovascular or even respiratory activity. Unfortunately for Pro, such lack of activity can be staunched by certain medical practices, as basic as Defibrillators. Even clinical "deaths" might apply as well....
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
MikeeeMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Due to the forfeits. Maikuru also had some very good and convincing arguments.
Vote Placed by kohai 5 years ago
kohai
MikeeeMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit. The unexpected things was the fact that he could not win!
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
MikeeeMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Same as below two votes. Con did use sources and made the only arguments. Pro loses conduct for forfeit and SG for SG mistakes.
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
MikeeeMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit. Also, Pro didn't use periods.