general52
arocsrtep

It is incorrect and harmful to call the United States a Democracy

general52

Pro

1st round will be acceptance. Let this be a good debate.

This is an important debate because the u.s is often referred to as a democracy.
arocsrtep

Con

I accept your challenge. Though I seriously hope you plan on clarifying your argument.
general52

Pro

Contention 1: It is incorrect to call the U.S a Democracy becuase we are a Republic

It is incorrect to call the united states a Democracy, because we aren't one. The word Democracy doesn't appear in the Decleration of Independence, U.S Constitution, or any of the Constitutions of the 50 states. A Democracy is defined as government by the people; especially: rule of the majority. A Republic is defined as a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law.

In fact the Constitution’s Article IV, Section 4, declares “The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government.” In the United states we as citizens don't have a direct vote on the executive branch, the bureaucracy's (except for sherrif's), or the judicial branch. We are represented by an electoral college which is what ultimatley decides who becomes president we are represented, we have a direct vote for our representatives but not the laws they vote on.

Here's three quotes from some of our founding fathers where they specificly mention Republican government. I would also like to point out in the pledge of allegience we don't say "to democracy for which it stands". We say "to the republic for which it stands"

"Against the insidious wiles of foreign influence, (I conjure you to believe me fellow citizens) the jealousy of a free people ought to be constantly awake; since history and experience prove that foreign influence is one of the most baneful foes of Republican Government."

-George Washington, Farewell Address, September 19, 1796

"Although a republican government is slow to move, yet when once in motion, its momentum becomes irresistible."

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Francis C. Gray, 1815

"I trust that the proposed Constitution afford a genuine specimen of representative government and republican government; and that it will answer, in an eminent degree, all the beneficial purposes of society."

-Alexander Hamilton, speech to the New York Ratifying Convention, June, 1788

Contention 2: It is harmful to call the U.S a Democracy

To call a country a form of government that it isn't (a democracy) and then say it doesn't measure up to what it's called puts our nation at risk into being changed or re-defined so that it fits that form of government. However as showed in contention one we aren't a Democracy so we don't look like one, we are a republic.

A Democracy has never been a stable form of government. Our system is setup to protect minority's, in a pure democracy a 51% over a 49% could give the 51% the ability to do anything they want to the 49%. In ancient greece Democracy always led to anarchy and then eventually an Oligarchy. If we listen to words of the founders we will see that they understood this problem with Democracy.

James Madison Federalist paper 10 "Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence in contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security of the rights of property and have in general but in short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths"

Alexander Hamilton " We are a Republican government real liberty is never found in despotism or the extremes of democracy"

Samuel Adams "Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders it self."

Democracy always led to anarchy, monarchy and then an Oligarchy

“The adoption of Democracy as a form of Government by all European nations is fatal to good Government, to liberty, to law and order, to respect for authority, and to religion, and must eventually produce a state of chaos from which a new world tyranny will arise.”

Duke of Northumberland 1931

I hope thats clear enough.

arocsrtep

Con

arocsrtep forfeited this round.
general52

Pro

did u forget? U can pick it back up if u want, or are you wanting to stop the debate?
arocsrtep

Con

arocsrtep forfeited this round.
arocsrtep

Con

arocsrtep forfeited this round.
general52

Pro

general52 forfeited this round.
arocsrtep

Con

arocsrtep forfeited this round.
Posted by general52 5 years ago
general52
I do want to say I could of made my second contention a conspiracy theory about propaganda but I couldn't find a certain book so I had to make it more general. However the conspiracy theory one about propaganda would of been more entertaining even if potentially less stable.

I said this out of the debate so it can't be used against me lol.
Posted by general52 5 years ago
general52
Should be? It is.

As for the question, that's what the debate is about.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 5 years ago
Cody_Franklin
This is probably a stupid semantic debate over how the US should be a republic. If he's arguing something else completely (e.g. corporatist state) or something, he should present his thesis in R1 instad of pussying out like he's currently doing. :P
Posted by believeit 5 years ago
believeit
if not a democracy, what would you call it?