ManofFewWords
Ozzyhead

It is logically impossible to not be a nerd by the age of 30 unless you are mentally retarded.

ManofFewWords

Pro

First round is acceptance.

Nerd: A single-minded expert in a particular technical field.
Ozzyhead

Con

Being an expert in a technical field implies fields of science or liberal arts. Define expert to make this easier to understand. I can point out how your claim is wrong with better definitions. An expert in my understanding is someone who has mastered a skill or a craft, if you disagree, then say so and I will use your definition (with in reason) from here on out. But, there are many musicians who have not mastered their instrument or part, baseball players as well, professional wrestlers, actors, teachers, drivers, authors, and engineers who do not have a full grasp on a field by the time they are thirty. Some may just be getting in to a new career field at the age of thirty, meaning it will take time to reach expert levels.
ManofFewWords

Pro

I think you will find that it is less about how I define expert and more about how I define technical field.

Technical: requiring special knowledge to be understood.
Field:
A particular branch of study or sphere of activity or interest.

A benefits scrounger is an expert at what they do (especially if they were one from age 18 all the way through to 30). Very few could live such a 'disgustingly' humble life and shamelessly tell all their friends and family that they've been unemployed for so long. It is also likely that they are uncannily adept at manipulating the welfare officers to believe their story over and over again, requiring sever expertise at being both patient and a brilliant actor.

It is less about what job one has and more about whatever aspect of their life they value most (which could be their job). Sure, you definitely do get the stereotypical lab geek, computer geek or history boffin from time to time but I am talking about every single 30 year old, in today's society, that is not mentally retarded.

So... Yeah...
Ozzyhead

Con

What makes someone mentally retarded? Is it their IQ levels? Because many people who have high IQ's do not always succeed, and not everyone with low IQ's fail, so obviously IQ level can not be the answer in at least my opponent's eyes, or at least it can't be the only factor. So, then what's mentally retarded? 'People may not be experts in fields that they enjoy to partake in. Let's look at musicians. Many are over the age of 30, and do not know everything about it, as there is an endless amount of things to learn in music.
Let's look at chefs, now. Again, many over the age of 30 that have been participating in the hobby for many, many years, and still have much to learn.
So far, we have two people who are not guaranteed experts in their fields, and yet we cannot conclude that they are retarded.
There are also people in fields, that are over the age of 30, that believe they are experts in such fields, but learn that some of the things they believe are wrong. People do not have to be experts in anything in order to be considered not retarded. Not everyone is my opponent's definition of nerd and everyone that is not aren't automatically considered retarded
ManofFewWords

Pro

ManofFewWords forfeited this round.
Ozzyhead

Con

My opponent will not be able to complete this debate.
ManofFewWords

Pro

ManofFewWords forfeited this round.
Ozzyhead

Con

Refer to last round
ManofFewWords

Pro

ManofFewWords forfeited this round.
Ozzyhead

Con

A real shame
Posted by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
Ozzyhead
My opponent's account has been closed and he will not be able to complete this debate
Posted by ManofFewWords 2 years ago
ManofFewWords
It is okay I didn't take it as that.
Posted by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
Ozzyhead
My first round argument was to set the tone. Do not take it as an argument
Posted by ManofFewWords 2 years ago
ManofFewWords
You are a nerd.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
I disagree. I don't think I'm retarded at all.