MassiveDump
nikidavis

It is more desirable to vote for me than to vote for my opponent

MassiveDump

MassiveDump

Pro

The debate is simple: I have to prove that it's more desirable to vote for me than my opponent, and my opponent has to do vice versa. The first round is for acceptance.
nikidavis

Con

I accept. So, how will we be proving who is more desirable. Than the other.
MassiveDump

Pro

First off, let's establish that I'm nice enough to not burden my opponent with having to present an argument this round, as I am letting this round be counted as a tie.

...Which is my way of saying I got busy.

Please do not vote based on this round. I ask that my opponent not present any arguments until later on, and I promise that Spring Break will give me enough time to keep this awesomeness going.
nikidavis

Con

Ok you were busy,I understand. So, I'm guessing I should just wait till next round to post any Arguments. Ok
Ok bye.

-meow
MassiveDump

Pro

Now that we've gotten that out of the way...

Why I Am More Desirable to Vote For Than My Opponent

1. I'm empirically a better debater.

It's more likely that I am warranted to win this debate namely because I'm good. Not to toot my own horn, but it's solid fact that I've been warranted to win ninety-five percent of the debate's I've participated in.

Currently, my Elo is 4,658--more than twice the average Elo---and I am on the front page of the Debate.org leaderboard[1]. On top of this, my win-loss record is 60-3-3, my three losses only being from unstructured or joke debates, such as-
A) a haiku battle, and
B) a debate where I defended the position that my opponent would win the debate anyway.

Whereas my opponent has failed to participate in a debate thus far, leaving her Elo at an intimidating zero.

2. I'm an overall more desirable user.

This one is admittedly a bit difficult to prove. What makes a user "desirable," anyway? This question can be best answered on Debate.org by measuring commitment to the site and relations to other users. The only fair way for the voters to decide upon those factors is to be presented with basic statistics:

Forum Posts:
Pro: 3200
Con: 0

Duration of Membership:
Pro: One year.
Con: Six days.

Friends:
Pro: 198
Con: 2

The numbers speak for themselves. My commitment to the site has already proven exceptional, while my opponent's is yet to be proven.

For these two reasons, and more which I will present later, it is more desirable to vote for Pro than to vote for my opponent.

Source

[1] http://www.debate.org...;
nikidavis

Con

1. Better at debating
While I do agree that you have a very high elo. I will say that you are a good debater, but this does not make my ability any worse. This is my first debate, but I am not a nunexpeirienced debater. you with have to trust me on this next point. I am currently on my schools debate team. I have won a round 8 of the 10 debates so far and one of the best debaters on my team. I have read around 70 or more debates on here in the last few days.

2. More desirable user.
This is simply an opinion. To some you may be a more desirable user but to others you are not. While it is true that you have posted on forums many many times. This does not mean I simply do not care, but it so happens that I have looked through al the education, society, and arts forums.

Sadly I have only found out about website recently, so my numbers are very low.

3. Name

This is just an observation but you have a name in which certain people may dislike.
MassiveDump

Pro

1. Ability

"While I do agree that you have a very high elo. I will say that you are a good debater, but this does not make my ability any worse."

This view of my contention is premature. I don't doubt that my opponent is a competent debater, and I'm in no way arguing that she is bad simply because she has no debates. My contention here relies strictly on empirical evidence, and since there is no evidence for my opponent's debating abilities, looking at the evidence we do have, it's more likely that I will show stronger debating skills in this round.

"you with have to trust me on this next point. I am currently on my schools debate team. I have won a round 8 of the 10 debates so far and one of the best debaters on my team. I have read around 70 or more debates on here in the last few days."

You have to trust me on this next rebuttal. I am also currently a debater at my school. I placed thirteenth in the nation in Public Forum debate and sixth place in Lincoln-Douglas debate (also first place in Humorous Interp, but that doesn't really pretain to debating ability).

I've slain sixty-three dragons, demolished four entire kingdoms, and killed a black belt with a pea shooter and a bag of dog food. Not only that, but a cult shrine has been built to me in San Francisco where over seven hundred thousand people come to worship me every day.

I killed Tupac, built the pyramids, brought an end to the age of the dinosaurs, and can ride my bike with no handlebars.

Some of what I said is true, but this is the internet. Who actually knows who did what without proper citations? How do we know the debating ability of my opponent's region compared to mine? Without present criteria for the voters to judge on, there is no way to know who is really the better debater. The only criteria present is Elo, and that shifts in my favor.

If I really wanted to argue who had better debating skills, I'd go so far as to say that my contentions are well-typed and efforted, whereas my opponent's sole additional contention consisted of one sentence. You voters don't even have to look at the Elo, you just have to read this debate to see who has the strongest ability.

2. Experience and Community

"This is simply an opinion."

Well, that's just your opinion, silly.

Just kidding. But also, it's not just an opinion. Numbers equal experience, and experience is more desirable. The argument is as sound and factual as it gets.

"Sadly I have only found out about website recently, so my numbers are very low."

The situation my opponent is in is completely understandable. However, this only strengthens the desirability to vote for me over my her. My stronger weight in experience, interactions, and ties to other users inherently tend to cause voters to think, "Hey! This debate is by MassiveDump! Let's go see how he managed to win this time!"

Yes, it's unfortunate, and it's certainly not my opponent's fault, but poor circumstances don't change the fact that when voters click on this debate, they tend to have a slight bias to vote for an experienced user over one who has joined only days ago. It's the way things are, and as horrible as it is, it makes it more desirable to vote for me over my opponent.

3. Appearance

"This is just an observation but you have a name in which certain people may dislike."

A certain demographic might not find my username appealing, that much can be understood, but a larger portion of the community would surely beg to differ.

Let's go back to the leaderboard for a moment:
http://www.debate.org...;

Having a silly username has shown no effect on who votes for which debater. The front page consists of people with names like "JustCallMeTarzan," "Grape," and as much as it makes me wince, even "STALIN."

There is, however, a much more deciding factor when it comes to appearance: the profile picture. What you'll notice from the leaderboard is that none to nearly none of the users who make it to the DDO Elite use pictures from the default collection of photos. Rather, they have uploaded an image of their own, be it a historical figure, an anime character, or even a picture of theirself.

The reason for this is that people who have a default profile picture tend to carry a bad rap. when someone goes to look at a debate, a default picture screams out, "I'm not taking this debate seriously," and "please vote for my opponent."

Once again, this is unfortunate, but no less true. It's more desirable to vote for a user who has a unique profile picture over one with a generic, run-of-the-mill avatar.

TL;DR

Due to stronger evidence of higher debating skills both empirically and in this round, due to solid numbers that show experience and appealing conections to the community, and due to a more appealing appearance at first glance to voters, it is by far more desirable to vote Pro over Con in this situation, and a Pro vote is fully warranted.
nikidavis

Con

Sadly, I actually have to agree with you.
While I do not find you appealing simply your username and profile picture. I have to say that I am also not appealing to others because of my statistics. I feel bad for doing this to you. Please vote pro
MassiveDump

Pro

Thanks to my opponent for participating in this debate. Please vote Pro.
nikidavis

Con

Yes vote pro, by.

-meow
Posted by braycup 3 years ago
braycup
Is this a joke +1
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 3 years ago
Actionsspeak
MassiveDumpnikidavisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by Defro 3 years ago
Defro
MassiveDumpnikidavisTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to Con for an honorable concession, which automatically gives Pro points for arguments. Spelling and grammar also goes to Pro due to the fact that Con made quite a few noticeable spelling/grammar errors. Sources go to Pro because Con's provided sources are not reliable, especially since "we have to trust her on this".