Illegalcombatant
badger

It is more plausible that more than one universe exists

Illegalcombatant

Illegalcombatant

Pro

!!! Round 1 is for acceptance only, no arguments to be presented in round 1. !!!

Pro will seek to affirm that more than one universe existing is more plausible than not more than one universe exists.

NO VIDEO LINKS !!!

PROBLEMS ?

If you have any problem with the debate please post in the comments section first so we can try to come to an agreement before starting.

Round 4

Round 4 is the last round, no new material or arguments are to be presented in round 4. Only rebuttals, counter arguments of the previous arguments, and summaries.

Definitions:

Its seems its hard to get an exact definition for "universe" that we can use in this debate. I can't allow the definition of universe is the totality of all that exists because then Con can win on a semantic point. There can be only one totality of everything that exists ergo there is only one universe.

As such I will have to appeal to the common understanding of what comes to mind when some one thinks of a "universe", especially when thinking about the "universe" we live in.

badger

Con

Fire away!
Illegalcombatant

Pro

I thank the badger for accepting this debate.

Its possible that another universe distinct from ours exists

We know that a universe is possible since we reside in one, and we have no reason to believe that its impossible that another universe can't exist.

A personal cause of our universe can create another universe

One of the most popular claims of the cause of our universe is that it is a personal cause, usually described as "God". Now clearly any personal cause that is capable of creating our universe is capable of creating another universe and even another after that, and even another after that and so on.

A non personal cause/s of our universe can create another universe

But what if the cause of our universe is non personal ? what reason would we have for believing that a non personal cause/s of our universe created our universe first and none other than that ? Any non personal cause of our universe is clearly capable of also creating other universes.

The universe didn't have a cause

But what if the universe didn't have any cause ? If our universe began to exist without a cause, that is to say it came from nothing, then its possible that other univeres came into being from nothing too.

Sheer possibilites

We know there is at least one universe since we reside in it so too speak, so we have two options either.......

1) One universe exists (The one we live in)
2) More than one universe exists

If there were 2 universes then that would come under the 2nd option, if there were 3 universes that would come under the second option, if there were 4 universes that would come under the 2nd option, and so on and on approaching infinity.

The 2nd option has alot more possibilities than the first, thus its more plausible that more than one universe exists.

I look forward to Pros reply.

badger

Con

My opponent's argument completely boils down to:

1. There could be more universes than the one we reside in?
2. There could be infinitely more universes?!

Therefore, it is more plausible that there are more universes.

We'll take our "universe" to mean, say, the big bang and what it made for the purposes of the debate, fairly, right? just this that we can see, the ammm universe...more or less? in contrast to other universes which could be completely different that we can't see? It's a God argument! My opponent proposes possibilities of the imagination in their infinite number to make it necessary that more than one of them exists. Why not just this and all that we can see? Why not just one universe and that's it? What makes anything my opponent imagines "more plausible" than anything else, more plausible than that this might just be it? this universe alone? Because you can imagine more does not mean it must exist. I can imagine myself having more weed right now... I could have 6 or 7 ounces, 50 kilos, 14 small children full... but I've what I have here in front of me that I can see... and it's depleting quickly. I could imagine it not doing that...

Cheers!
Illegalcombatant

Pro

I thank Badger for their reply, I would like to get stuck straight into their objections.

Cons Objections

Con says..."My opponent proposes possibilities of the imagination in their infinite number to make it necessary that more than one of them exists"

This is straw-manning my argument, I am certainly not arguing that just because its possible that more then one universe exists and/or its possible an infinite amount of universes exist then it follows that more than one must exist necessarily.

Con says..."Why not just this and all that we can see? Why not just one universe and that's it?"

Con will be happy to know that I acknowledged that its possible that our universe is the only one, I am just considering the two possibilities that either our universe is the only one, or it isn't and making the case that after considering these two options its more plausible that our universe is not the only one.

The possibility of the other universes

I think Con does agree that its possible that other universes can exist. I see no argument that attempts to show its impossible for other universes to exist. I think this premise is safe.

There is no reason to believe that our universe must be the only one

Con doesn't present any argument why our universe must be the only one that exists, so once again its possible that other universes exist remains unrefuted.

Sheer possibilities

Remember there are only two possible answers here either........

1) One universe exists = 1 universe exists
2) More than one universe exists = Anywhere between 2.............infinity.

I maintain that option 2 more likely true than false, thus its more plausible that more than one universe exists.

I look forward to Cons reply.

badger

Con

My friend! ...i want no arguments with you! I concede to your sexiness...
Illegalcombatant

Pro

Well that was unexpected, ummmm...........vote Pro.
badger

Con

My apologies!
Posted by toolpot462 4 years ago
toolpot462
If you have two universes, each is immediately considered a single universe. There can be no multiple universes, as the universe is all-encompassing.
Posted by Rockylightning 5 years ago
Rockylightning
fail.
Posted by Illegalcombatant 5 years ago
Illegalcombatant
@Carlo I don't think I am arguing from ignorance, I am not saying because X has not been proven therefore Non X.

As you said, I make the jump from the possibility that another universe that's its more plausible that more than one (our) universe exists.

And considering me and badger are currently debating, id rather not also debate you in the comments section.
Posted by CarlosMarti123 5 years ago
CarlosMarti123
For those who TL;DR Possibility does not entail plausibility.
Posted by CarlosMarti123 5 years ago
CarlosMarti123
1. "we have NO reason to believe that its IMPOSSIBLE (emphasis added) that another universe can't exist."

2. "Now clearly any personal cause that is CAPABLE (emphasis added) of creating our universe is CAPABLE (emphasis added) of creating another universe and even another after that."

3. "Any non personal cause of our universe is clearly CAPABLE (emphasis added) of also creating other universes."

illegalcombatant, I do not necessarily disagree with your case, but you seem to be arguing from ignorance in all 3 examples. In other words, you seem to be saying that since there is no evidence against P, therefore not-P [1]. Now, that would be fine if the resolution was whether it is POSSIBLE that other universes can exist, but the resolution is about whether it is plausible. You seem to be jumping from "It is possible other universes exist," to "It is plausible other universes exist."

[1] http://fallacyfiles.org...
Posted by Illegalcombatant 5 years ago
Illegalcombatant
I should of said I look forward to Cons reply, haha.
Posted by caveat 5 years ago
caveat
This'll be interesting.
Posted by Illegalcombatant 5 years ago
Illegalcombatant
Then come up with a definition
Posted by caveat 5 years ago
caveat

This "definition", if we can even call it that, provides absolutely no foothold for arguments and I can't see anybody accepting this until a more tangible definition of "universe" is put forth.
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
IllegalcombatantbadgerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Have to vote for the sexiness.
Vote Placed by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
IllegalcombatantbadgerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pros sexiness was too much for con.
Vote Placed by Kethen 5 years ago
Kethen
IllegalcombatantbadgerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious