apb4y
blackkid

It is silly to filter swear words whilst allowing words like "rape", "penis" and "ejaculation".

apb4y

Pro

The three words I listed in the title could potentially cause more offense than calling somebody a cvnt, yet they're still allowed. It's not like swear filters even work, as we can either mis-spell words or use asterisks to bypass the filter. I submit that swear filters are both ineffective and redundant, and should not be implemented on sites where discussion of sexual/bodily functions is permitted.
blackkid

Con

I propose that the direct intention of the language should be considered. For instance speaking of bodily fluids may cause offense however they are not necessarily offensive by nature however almost all swear words in general context are meant to cause negative emotional reactions. To that end it could be said that it is far better to filter words that are specifically designed to enrage and defame than it is to filter words that are common in topics or required for discussions.
apb4y

Pro

Swear words aren't always intended to offend. For example, in the following sentences:

"If Global Warming gets any worse, we're fvcked."

vs.

"If Global Warming gets any worse, we're screwed."

Or

"There is nothing wrong a man putting his dick into another man's a$$hole."

vs.

"There is nothing wrong a man putting his penis into another man's anus."

Or

"Cow shiit can be used as fertilizer."

vs.

"Cow dung can be used as fertilizer."

Or

"The recent economy has been a biitch to deal with."

vs.

"The recent economy has been a pain to deal with."

In each of these cases, the swear word is not intended to cause direct offence. It is merely used for emphasis.

Now consider these:

"If a woman gets raped, it's her fault for dressing inappropriately."

vs.

"If a biitch gets raped, it's her fault for dressing like a slvt."

Or

"There is pus coming out of my penis."

vs.

"There is pus coming out of my dick."

Or

"I want to ejaculate on a prostitute's breasts."

vs.

"I wanna jizz on a hooker's tits."

In each of these cases, the offense is caused by the sentiment and not the swear words. In fact, I would say that the swear words often lessen the offensiveness by "crossing the line twice".

http://tvtropes.org...

It is my opinion that, while swear words can definitely be used as direct insults, the context and not the word choice is what ultimately defines how offensive something is.
blackkid

Con

This doesn't remove the inherent volatile nature; for instance "we're f**ked" (profanity) has a stronger emotional connotative value than "this is bad" (statement) which also has weaker emotional connotative value than "we're screwed" (slang). You've not shown that they aren't offensive or vulgar but instead that they can be used in ways that may or may not be "as offensive" (context sensitivity).

The entire idea behind vulgarity (swear words) is emotional and not objective..

"The main purpose of swearing is to express emotions, especially anger and frustration. Swear words are well suited to express emotion as their primary meanings are connotative. The emotional impact of swearing depends on one's experience with a culture and its language conventions. A cognitive psychological framework is used to account for swearing in a variety of contexts and provide a link to impoliteness research. In support of this framework, native and non-native English-speaking college students rated the offensiveness and likelihood of hypothetical scenarios involving taboo words. The ratings demonstrated that appropriateness of swearing is highly contextually variable, dependent on speaker-listener relationship, social-physical context, and particular word used. Additionally, offensiveness ratings were shown to depend on gender (for native speakers) and English experience (for non-native speakers). Collectively these data support the idea that it takes time for speakers to learn where, when, and with whom swearing is appropriate."

(http://www.degruyter.com...)

A second source (http://books.google.com...) helps explain what expletives are and how they work in society. Sadly I'm out of space for the quote I'd like to use.
apb4y

Pro

I limited our posts to 2,000 words because I hate reading walls of text.

Swearing is not the only form of expression regulated by social taboo. For example, how many of us would be comfortable discussing masturbation with total strangers? How appropriate is it to walk into a room full of strangers and announce our political opinions? Or to use words like "rape", "penis" and "ejaculation" in polite conversation? With or without swearing, we frequently break social taboos.

We also frequently discuss emotionally charged subjects. Are these innately less volatile than a single curse word? I'm not convinced. Many people have an equally strong reaction to non-curse, taboo words.

This also doesn't change the fact that swear filters don't actually filter swear words; they just force us to change their spelling to bypass the motherfvcking filter. See what I just did? I slipped "motherfvcking" right into my sentence. Sure, I substituted that "u" for a "v", but everybody knows what I meant. Filtering the swear word did nothing whatsoever.

In conclusion, I maintain that swear filters are both silly and arbitrary, and that we should either eliminate all taboo words/phrases or eliminate none of them, instead of picking and choosing.
blackkid

Con

blackkid forfeited this round.
Posted by apb4y 2 years ago
apb4y
No votes whatsoever? Wow.
Posted by philosurfer 2 years ago
philosurfer
Hello Mate!