sangdelalune
Sweatingjojo

It is the governments responsibility to help individuals after a natural disastor.

Con Tied Pro

sangdelalune

Con

I am talking about the United States government and how it should not help individuals recover after a natural disastor.
Sweatingjojo

Pro

First off, I'd like to welcome my opponent to debate.org, and I do hope that she sticks around on this rather interesting website.

I'll be keeping what I have to say brief, to ensure that both sides are able to effectively debate.

I have 2 Arguments for why it is the government's responsibility to help individuals after a natural disaster.

1. It is ethical for the people through the government to provide aid to those harmed by a natural disaster. The government taxes its citizens, one of the purposes being to assist those who recently suffered a natural calamity. This is, by extension, the people as a whole aiding those harmed by a natural disaster.
This is ethical because it upholds the golden rule, which is that one ought to act in the way that they would want others to act. If my home were to be destroyed by a tornado this evening, I would most certainly hope that along with private aid and home insurance, the government would be able to lend a helping hand in getting my family a new home to live in. As would any sane person. If a wildfire were to start outside of Baton Rouge Louisiana, proceeding to decimate a part of the city, I would think it right that my tax dollars would go toward helping the people there.

Some people that also find it ethical to help others in need include the Dali Lama, Jesus, Confucius, the Prophet Muhammad, and God (As reported by the Old Testament.)

2. The government should help individuals after a natural disaster because it helps the economy.
The government, by helping people who suffered significant losses in a natural disaster, help the economy in two ways. First, the act of helping is good for the economy because the products purchased and the labor paid for by the government adds to our nation's GDP, which is a key indicator of economic prosperity.
Second, the result of help from the government is that people who otherwise would not have been able to thrive are able to, with the money and resources given to them by the government. By giving people "seed" money and resources, they are better able to make money later on, which in turn helps the economy as a whole.

It is the government's responsibility to help individuals after a natural disaster because it is ethical and it helps the economy.

Thanks to my opponent for creating this debate, and I cannot await her reply.
sangdelalune

Con

sangdelalune forfeited this round.
Sweatingjojo

Pro

Unfortunately my opponent didn't respond. It should be noted that this debate has a 30 minute time limit.

I suppose all of my arguments stand, hopefully she'll be back for the next round.
sangdelalune

Con

sangdelalune forfeited this round.
Sweatingjojo

Pro

Quite possibly one of the world's fastest debates.

Again, this was set to a 30 minute time limit, which makes my opponent's situation unfortunate.

Good Day to you all.
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
sangdelaluneSweatingjojoTied
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
sangdelaluneSweatingjojoTied