wowwhatwhy
Valkrin

It is very rude to refer to Autism as a mental disorder.

Valkrin

wowwhatwhy

Pro

Hinduism is not a mental disorder, Islam is not a mental disorder, Christianity is not a mental disorder, even Scientology is not allowed to be referred to as a mental disorder. Yet Autism and all its sub-sects are demonized by societies across the world as if they are something to be fixed, as if it is an issue to be solved.

I find this very rude and outrageous to do. You are saying that having an imaginary friend who guards you in any situation that you ask for assistance is not lunacy to the point of genuine insanity and emergency disorder of the brain and yet you tell people who happen to rely too heavily on logic and struggle to pick up on emotions and social cues sick in the head?

Adherents of Autism refer to themselves as geniuses but most of the world refers to them as Autistic. The Autistics are very rigid in their routine, have varying obsessions across their religion as it is a very diverse one and one Autistic can never be assumed to share the same outlook as another one. What the Autistics do have in common though, is a shared loathing of socializing and small talk and an avid love for the strange and other-worldly.

Much like Buddhists who make the vow of non-silence many Autistics have made the vow in the womb of their mother and never utter a word in their life. Other Autistics struggle with the notion of tying their own shoelaces or making out with an attractive member of their preferred gender, these are commonly seen as a sins amongst the majority of their following.

However, it is taking it to awhoel new level of 'out of order' when you say that to be an adherent of Autism is to have a mental disorder. Dr. Asperger is one of their many prophets and is the founder of the sub-sect Asperger's Syndrome who choose not to make the vow of silence in the womb but sometimes do so in sexually tense situations because their heart is racing too fast for their brain to cope. Asperger's followers share the common fundamentals of Austism, such as compulsive obsessiveness and unsympathetic verbal abuse on others while never accepting that the self should then also take the verbal abuse back at them.

Crying, whining and screaming are common practices among adherents as means of soothing the mind. Silent meditation should only be done when one is carrying out their obsessively preferred activity, such as taking photos of shoes or masturbating to furry porn.

I support the right of Autism, and its adherent to escape this social stigma of being mentally ill and 'fixable' and instead to be accepted as part of the religious community, as opposed to the psychological one in which they have taken refuge.
Valkrin

Con

I accept this debate. Since opponent made arguments in the first round, I believe I should follow suit. As Pro takes full BoP, I will show that it is NOT very rude to refer to autism as a mental disorder.

RESOLUTION: It is very rude to refer to Autism as a mental disorder.

I. Rudeness is subjective

Rudeness has varying effects based on the people you come into contact with. For example, some might take great offense at people refering to autism as a mental disorder. However, some (like myself) do not. Refer to the next point for why.

Continuing on, this is why the resoultion is negated, with this point alone. As you see, the resoultion is "It is very rude to refer to Autism as a mental disorder." By this resolution, this means that Pro is trying to prove that it is always considered rude. However, it isn't. People have varying opinions and ideas. As such, they have different ideas as to what is rude or not. As such, as long as one person believes that referring to autism as a mental disorder is not rude, the BoP has not been fulfilled by Pro. If Pro stated "It CAN BE very rude to refer to Autism as a mental disorder", he would be able to explain why. However, due to his wording, he implies that no matter in what context it is used, or whoever says it, it is rude, which is untrue, and impossible to prove true.

II. Autism is defined as a "mental condition"

Dictionary definition of autism:
"a mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts." [1]

Another citation states (first result when searching "what is autism" on Google) [2]

"Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and autism are both general terms for a group of complex disorders of brain development."

It's pointless to call something something that it isn't. For example, it's pointless for me to call an apple a banana, even though it's an apple. Simply calling it something different doesn't change what it is. It's not rudeness to refer to autism as such; it's simply calling it what it is. Some may take it as rude, however, not all might. And as long as at least one person in the world (which is at least myself) doesn't believe refering to autism as a mental disorder is "rude", then the resolution is not affirmed, and thus I win this debate.

As such I have made my two arguments clear. Why they are short, they negate the resolution. It's simply impossible to refute point 1.
Thank you for the debate.

As a side note: No, I do not like the misuse of the word autism, and believe that people should treat it more seriously, as insults such as "lol thus guy's got autism" for saying something/being something are completely idiotic. Then again, this is just my opinion, and some would not find this bad.

[1] http://tinyurl.com...
[2] http://www.autismspeaks.org...
wowwhatwhy

Pro

wowwhatwhy forfeited this round.
Valkrin

Con

My opponent has closed their account.
Thank you for the debate, and extend.
wowwhatwhy

Pro

wowwhatwhy forfeited this round.
wowwhatwhy

Pro

wowwhatwhy forfeited this round.
wowwhatwhy

Pro

wowwhatwhy forfeited this round.
Valkrin

Con

I thank opponent for his arguments, but it's sad that he forfeited and closed his account.
I thank him for the debate opportunity, and please vote Con. Thanks :)
Posted by Valkrin 2 years ago
Valkrin
Yep...
Posted by Lulzy 2 years ago
Lulzy
I'm pretty sure the site closed it down. Dude was rude as could possibly be.
Posted by Valkrin 2 years ago
Valkrin
My opponent has closed their account.
Vote Placed by warren42 2 years ago
warren42
wowwhatwhyValkrinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con proved both of his contentions, and everything else went without refutation.
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
wowwhatwhyValkrinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeits