brian_eggleston
Mutineer

It"s time to crackdown on cash-point cretins

Mutineer

brian_eggleston

Pro

We've all been there on Saturday night, standing patiently in line to withdraw some beer vouchers from the hole in the wall while some mental defective stares blankly at the screen, occasionally pressing buttons, seemingly at random.

Jesus Christ on a fvcking bike, what is wrong with these morons? I mean, what's so difficult about withdrawing cash from an ATM? I say it's about time the banks got tough with these cash machine menaces.

This is my idea: when users take too long between pressing buttons, say over 5 seconds, certain messages should flash up. To begin with, the messages should be gently encouraging prompts, such as:

"Hurry up!" and "Come on, come on, other people want to use this machine as well you know."

Then if the delays continue, a more forthright message should flash up:

"You seem to be taking an extraordinarily long time completing your transaction, what's wrong with you? Are you monged out of your head on drugs or are you just a complete fvcking retard? Press either:

A - Sorry, I spent all day on lying on the couch in my underwear eating cold pizza and smoking crack and I'm not thinking straight, just give me a second while I get my fvcking sh!t together dude.'

Or:

B - Actually, as it happens, I do have profound learning difficulties, thank you very much, and consequently my responses may be somewhat protracted compared to those of so-called 'normal people' but I can assure you I'm doing my best."

The machine should then either allow 20 seconds for the transaction to completed in the case of the first response, or 30 seconds in the case of the second response, and if this time elapses without the cash being withdrawn the following message should appear:

"Right, that's it, you were warned, you were FVCKING warned. Clearly you don't give a flying FVCK about our valued customers waiting behind you, so we're keeping your card to teach you a lesson. You can have it back when you can prove to us that you are fit person to use a bank card and not before. Now FVCK OFF out of everybody's way."

This would send the message to those inconsiderate people that unnecessarily delaying other cash-point users is not acceptable such behaviour will not be tolerated.

Mutineer

Con

Under the following link (http://www.debate.org...) most voters will be delighted to see that since it says "No use of profanities or swear words." under Codes of conduct I will automatically be winning the conduct vote if I were to not use any profanities in my debate.

As for sources, personal anecdote is hardly a valid source.

I shall now rebut your round one argument.

"We I've all been there on Saturday night, standing patiently in line to withdraw some beer vouchers from the hole in the wall while some mental[sic he misses the -ly]
defective stares blankly at the screen, occasionally pressing buttons, seemingly at random."

As you can see, this is a pointless introduction to his debate, merely meant to hook you in to assume you've experienced the same anecdote that he has and then to use this as valid objective evidence.

"what is wrong with these morons?" They are 'mentally defective' as you say. This is by no fault of their own.

"I mean, what's so difficult about withdrawing cash from an ATM?" Well, clearly the difficulty isn't there for you only for the 'mentally defective'.

"I say it's about time the banks got tough with these cash machine menaces 'mentally defective individuals." Baseless opinion.

"
This is my idea: when users take too long over five seconds between pressing buttons, say over 5 seconds, certain messages should would flash up. To begin with, the messages should would be gently encouraging prompts, such as:

"Hurry up!" (In what way is this a 'gently encouraging prompt'?) and "Come on, come on, other people want to use this machine as well you know." What if there's no one behind them?

Then if the delays continues, a more forthright message should would flash up:

"You seem to be taking an extraordinarily long time completing your transaction, what's wrong with you? Are you monged out of your head on drugs or are you just a complete fvcking retard? Press either:" Totally irrelevant, rude and unnecessary.

A - Sorry, I spent all day on lying on the couch in my underwear eating cold pizza and smoking crack and I'm not thinking straight, just give me a 20 seconds while I get my fvcking sh!t together dude." Again, totally unnecessary additions.

"Or:"

B - Actually, as it happens, I do have profound learning difficulties, thank you very much, and consequently my responses may be somewhat protracted compared to those of so-called 'normal people' but I can assure you I'm doing my best." How do you ensure people in the predicament of A will not pick B?

"The machine should" ustifications given...None.

You are suggesting taking cards and forcing people to 'prove themselves' without giving the card back with which to prove themselves.

brian_eggleston

Pro

With many thanks to Mutineer for accepting this debate, I apologise for any offense the use of my course language may have caused genteel old ladies, the Amish and other people of a particularly prudish disposition but it was, sadly, necessary in order to emphasise the gravity of the problem faced by frustrated ATM users on a daily basis.

Regarding my opponent's remarks, I should like to respond as follows:

Rather than being grammatically incorrect, "a mental defective" is a shorthand way of saying "a person with learning difficulties". It may not be very formal but, in real life, people waiting in line for a cashpoint are more likely to say "I wish that mental defective would hurry up and get their cash, they're wasting my valuable drinking time," than they are to say "I wish that person with learning difficulties would expedite their transaction and withdraw their funds without any further delay because this is time I could be spending more profitably consuming alcoholic beverages in a nearby hostelry."

Moving on, naturally, I believe that, as a society, we be should be tolerant of all people with disabilities and that imbeciles ought to be treated with the dignity and respect they deserve. Having said that, however, it is very irresponsible of banks to issue cards to people who are unable of using them properly, and it is also highly negligent of the lunatics' carers to allow them out unsupervised.

Of course, the bank messages I proposed are not what you would expect to read on an ATM, they are designed to have impact, and the use of slang words and strong language reinforces the point the banks are trying to make - and let's not forget that many of these time-wasters are drug addicts who only understand the language of "the street".

With this in mind, it is only right, just as a bank customer has to justify his responsibility to repay a loan, that a bank cardholder should have to prove his ability to use it without unduly inconveniencing other customers.

In conclusion, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs and I believe that now is time for the banks to get tough with cashpoint cretins.

Mutineer

Con

Mutineer forfeited this round.
Posted by UniversalEmulator 4 years ago
UniversalEmulator
Lol... Bit drastic don't you think?
Posted by brian_eggleston 4 years ago
brian_eggleston
And for "unable" please read "incapable". Yes, sorry, I've just come home from the pub!
Posted by brian_eggleston 4 years ago
brian_eggleston
Whoops! For "course", please read "coarse".
Posted by Kinesis 4 years ago
Kinesis
There's just no con case here. I can't even imagine how anyone would argue against this.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
brian_egglestonMutineerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro went a wee trifle over the line on the profanity, and would have lost conduct if Con had not forfeited. Pro offered opinion, actually just a hate rant, without supporting evidence or reasoning as to why a bank insulting customers would make the world a better place. In particular, there was no argument this would speed up lines rather than slow them down.