Rodrack
SANTORUM2012

It should not be acceptable for a woman to be promiscuous

Rodrack

Rodrack

Con

My proposed debate is based on the social paradigm that women shouldn't indulge in casual or frecuent sex, and those who do be frowned upon by society. I will be arguing CON, which means I will defend women having the right to practice sex freely without being discriminated or condenmed.

First round is for acceptance.
SANTORUM2012

Pro

Challenge Accepted!
Rodrack

Con

Thank you for accepting my challenge, I hope it's an enlightening debate.

To clarify what i am debating against, I will introduce an unofficial but popular term that describes my case perfectly: "Slut shaming" is defined as the act of making a woman feel guilty or inferior for engaging in sexual behaviors that violate traditional expectations. [1]

Observe:

In its declaration of sexual rights, the World Health Organization (the public health branch of the United Nations) states:

Sexual rights embrace human rights that are already recognized in national laws, international human rights documents and other consensus documents. These include the right of all persons, free of coercion, discrimination and violence, to:

the highest attainable standard of health in relation to sexuality, including access to sexual and reproductive health care services;
seek, receive and impart information in relation to sexuality;
sexuality education;
respect for bodily integrity;
choice of partner;
decide to be sexually active or not;
consensual sexual relations;
consensual marriage;
decide whether or not, and when to have children; and
pursue a satisfying, safe and pleasurable sexual life. [2]
.

Let us examine some particular points, like "right to decide to be sexually active or not", "right to consensual sexual relations", and the "right to pursue a satisfying safe and pleasurable sexual life". The declaration grants every human being, including women, the right to live a sex life as they desire, as long as it does not violate other people's rights. This means that if a woman finds it sexually satifying and pleasurable to lead a promiscous life style, she should be allowed to do so without any form of discrimination or social disproval, for she is only excerting the sexual rights mentioned above.

Please note that I am not advocating for a society that encourages promiscuity, less one that promotes unprotected sex or other unsafe sexual practices. I am in favor of sex education (in fact, the delcaration states that as a right). My debate only rises from the common conception that a promiscuity in women is something rejectable and that deserves social criticism (whereas promiscuity in men is usually admired and even encouraged.) Virgin praising is yet another factor that contributes to this culture. It is usually desirable for a woman to be a virgin, and virgins are well seen by society. Why should a woman who choses to have sex automatically be relegated to a lower social category? Why should sexually active men prefer virgins over sexually active women? It is unfair, and should not be accepted under any circumstance.

This phenomenum causes many social illnesses, like rape culture, victim blaming, sexual bullying and objectification, based on the belief that a woman who choses to live an active sex life is not worthy of respect, and just represents a source of pleasure for men. Not only are women judged on their sex lives, but also on the clothes they wear, the places they visit, or the partners they engage with. This constitutes an essential violation of human rights, for no person should be discrimintaed on the basis of gender [3]. Women should be allowed to chose how they dress, what places to visit and how many times they have sex without being frowned upon or objectified. Girls should not be taught to be chaste and careful just to avoid rape, instead, men should be thought rape is as unthinkable as cannibalism, and not justified in any way by a girls appearence or behavior. Women should not be told to dress conservative in order to "get respect", respect should be inherent, and men should be expected to respect any woman, regardless of her looks.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

[2] http://www.un.org...

[3] http://www.upsettingrapeculture.com...

SANTORUM2012

Pro

My opponent…

“The declaration grants every human being, including women, the right to live a sex life as they desire, as long as it does not violate other people's rights.”

Sex is not just a physical thing as my opponent tries to dumb it down to be, it also has psychological and emotional effect on people (mainly women). You stated that you were pro sex-education and the main point of sex education is abstinence and sexual awareness so what is expected of the sexual education teacher to teach? Sex is just fine no matter what age? Only protected sex is okay? Abstinence is the best way of preventing pregnancy unless you feel differently? The main reason society looks down on or even rejects promiscuity is because many are taught abstinence from a young age and they are taught abstinence from a young age to help women from being thrown into a situation they never planned to be in.

“Virgin praising is yet another factor that contributes to this culture. It is usually desirable for a woman to be a virgin, and virgins are well seen by society.”

Again, a big point teachers make in sexual health classes is the fact abstinence is the best choice until marriage. If a young girl commits herself for whatever reason (religion, personal, familial) to avoiding sexual activity and stays true to her commitment then it is obvious why praise is necessary.

“Girls should not be taught to be chaste and careful just to avoid rape, instead, men should be thought rape is as unthinkable as cannibalism, and not justified in any way by a girl’s appearance or behavior.”

The concept of girls being cautious is, I feel, often misunderstood. This advice is not given to victim-blame but to prevent girls from being put in this situation.

Example: If a car thief was on the loose you would not tell car owners to leave the keys in the car and the door unlocked simply because it is not their fault that their car could be stolen and the car thief should know better. You tell girls to use caution not to communicate to men that it is okay to rape but to prevent a woman from falling victim.

My arguments

First of all I would like to clarify that promiscuity in both males and females is wrong but for the sake of this debate I will argue how and why it is wrong in females.

Unexpected Pregnancy

One major social issue our society deals with is abortion. While some are pro-life and some are pro-choice I think it is clear we can all agree that abortion should be at least the last resort. The most effective way to prevent abortions is not getting pregnant and the most effective way to not get pregnant is abstinence.

Effects of Unexpected Pregnancy

The majority of the women who get pregnant before they are married will not end up getting married. This of course leads a huge burden on the mother having to deal with. According to the U.S Census Bureau %27.3 of single parents live in poverty. Also, the effects of children growing up without a parent can be drastic…

Drinking problems.Teenagers living in single-parent households are more likely to abuse alcohol and at an earlier age compared to children reared in two-parent households

Suicidal Tendencies.In a study of 146 adolescent friends of 26 adolescent suicide victims, teens living in single-parent families are not only more likely to commit suicide but also more likely to suffer from psychological disorders, when compared to teens living in intact families.

Disturbing news:Children of never-married mothers are more than twice as likely to have been treated for an emotional or behavioral problem.

Expelled:Nationally, 15.3 percent of children living with a never-married mother and 10.7 percent of children living with a divorced mother have been expelled or suspended from school, compared to only 4.4 percent of children living with both biological parents.

College odds:Children from disrupted families are 20 percent more unlikely to attend college than kids from intact, two-parent families.

Criminal Behavior:The children of single teenage mothers are more at risk for later criminal behavior. In the case of a teenage mother, the absence of a father also increases the risk of harshness from the mother.Seventy-two percent of adolescent murderers grew up without fathers. Sixty percent of America's rapists grew up the same way.

As you can see promiscuity can lead to unwanted pregnancy which leads on to abortions and fatherless kids which carries out to more drastic measures such as the statistics mentioned above.

Spread of STD’s

Another result from promiscuity is the spread of STD’s. Often enough promiscuous women having unprotected sex will contract an STD. The woman could have it without knowing which is putting potential future partners at risk.

Sad but true...

A woman who is sexually promiscuous is more likely to be raped then a woman who is not. I am not saying that all rape victims are promiscuous or victim blaming in any way but a woman who dresses sexually provocative is more likely to be targeted by a rapist. Although it is not the victims fault in any way, women should make sure to be away and use protective measures to reduce the chance of falling victim to predators.

I have proved that promiscuity leads to terrible things such as unexpected pregnancy, STD’s, and even rape. It is obvious that in today’s society men and women are held at double standards but I feel it is fair to say promiscuity is harmful regardless of your gender.

I look forward to my opponents rebuttal :)

http://www.policymic.com...

http://www.photius.com...

Rodrack

Con

I want to thank my opponent for providing such interesting arguments to our debate.

My opponent stated:

"Sex is not just a physical thing as my opponent tries to dumb it down to be, it also has psychological and emotional effect on people (mainly women). You stated that you were pro sex-education and the main point of sex education is abstinence and sexual awareness so what is expected of the sexual education teacher to teach? Sex is just fine no matter what age? Only protected sex is okay? Abstinence is the best way of preventing pregnancy unless you feel differently? The main reason society looks down on or even rejects promiscuity is because many are taught abstinence from a young age and they are taught abstinence from a young age to help women from being thrown into a situation they never planned to be in."

"Again, a big point teachers make in sexual health classes is the fact abstinence is the best choice until marriage. If a young girl commits herself for whatever reason (religion, personal, familial) to avoiding sexual activity and stays true to her commitment then it is obvious why praise is necessary."

I believe there has been a misunderstanding regarding the terminology. The point of sex-education is not abstinence. The point of sex education is to reduce risk behaviors such as unprotected sex, and equip individuals to make informed decisions about their personal sexual activity. What my opponent is referring to is called abstinence-only sexual education, an obsolete approach that focuses solely on abstinence as a tool to fight unhealthy sex practices. What I am proposing is called comprehensive sex education, which also adds the options of contraceptives, safe sex and non vaginal sex practices. Of course, at first glance, abstinence seems like the better choice, for it is a 100% certain way to avoid pregnancy and STD's. Nevertheless, it has been proven to be very inefficient as an approach to sex education:
  • Abstinence-only sex education has been found to be ineffective in decreasing the HIV risk in the developed world. [1]
  • Abstinence-only sex education has also been found to increase unplanned pregnancy. [2]
  • The concept of no premarital sex is evidently flawed, for it completely neglects the issues for individuals to whom marriage is not valued or desired, not to mention those for whom it's not allowed (specifically LGBT).
  • It distorts information, revealing only the failure rates of contraceptives and not their high success rates and benefits. [3]
  • The whole approach is focused on a compulsory dogma of chastity, rather than an informed decision taking methodology, unsuitable with our free thinking society.
Why should abstinence be regarded as the one and only way to prevent sex related problems? Why not tell teenagers that the average condom has a 98% success rate when used correctly, or that the contraceptive pill has a 99.7% success rate? [4] Why should they be discouraged from practicing non vaginal sexual activities such as anal sex, mutual masturbation or oral sex? If there are efficient ways to practice sex with relative safety, the social paradigm is pointless. The truth is that "slut shaming" is not a matter of public health as much as it is a matter of sexism and socio-religious principle.

My opponent claims:

"The concept of girls being cautious is, I feel, often misunderstood. This advice is not given to victim-blame but to prevent girls from being put in this situation.

Example: If a car thief was on the loose you would not tell car owners to leave the keys in the car and the door unlocked simply because it is not their fault that their car could be stolen and the car thief should know better. You tell girls to use caution not to communicate to men that it is okay to rape but to prevent a woman from falling victim."

My case is not against prevention. It all depends on how the advise is presented. Of course women should not get in strangers' cars or accept beverages handed to them by unknowns. We must accept the fact that sick individuals exist, and they should be handled as the threat they are. We must raise consciousness the same way we would advert a kid against a pedophile. What I find offensive is when females are told they shouldn't dress in a particular way, or that they should build up an image of chastity for themselves in order to reduce the risk of rape. This is almost like endorsing the animalistic instincts of some degenerates, treating them as poor souls tempted by desire instead of the degenerate criminals they are.

As to my opponent's arguments, they all derive from pregnancy and STD's, let us go deeper:
  • Undesired Pregnancy. I share my opponent's opinion on the disadvantages of this issue. However, I don't see how it's a valid reason to indulge in hatred and discrimination of promiscuous women. As it's already been discussed, there are ways to live an active safe life and avoid pregnancy. It is absurd to condemn someone over the mere possibility of pregnancy. Why should a girl who has successfully avoided pregnancy by the correct use of contraceptives be victim of bigotry in the hands of society? It is not fair. Similarly, there are women who accept the responsibility of their mistakes, and become caring and loving mothers. These brave women shouldn't fall under the judgemental eye of society either. A group can never, ever be judged based on the behavior of some of its individuals, this means all promiscuous females should not be judged on the behalf of their irresponsible peers. So, instead of judging promiscuity, society should put the pressure over irresponsibility. In other words, as long as the woman is not causing the social damages of giving birth to an unwanted child and neglecting him or her, she has no reason to be criticised.
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases. This is even less of a reason to endorse "slut shaming". Again, people who are promiscuous but have taken measures to remain clean have no reason to be frowned upon. Assuming people received the appropriate sex education my case is arguing for, there should be no doubts concerning the risks of sexual acts. If one party decides to engage in a sex act with another party, he or she does it in full understanding of the risk that implies getting infected. Contrarily, if a person unknowingly contracts a disease it is not a problem of promiscuity but of sexual ignorance.

Finally, I will address the portion of the debate where my opponent argues promiscuity is a cause of rape, and should therefore be rejected.

Let me reduce this un-cited argument with an example. It is known that middle and high class citizens are more likely to be targeted by kidnappers. Do we ask them to stop earning money? Do we judge them for having large amounts of money? No, it would be illogical, they make money because they obtain pleasure from it. The same applies to our issue: women should be careful, the same way affluent individuals take safety measures to prevent kidnapping, but they should not be told to give up an active sex life just to prevent rape.

Moreover, this debate is not about promiscuity being right or wrong, or about the pros and cons of abstinence versus promiscuity. This debate is about women having a right to practice sex freely, without being discriminated. It needs to be understood that the mere fact of having frequent and casual sex has no immoral value on its own. It's an issue of the tolerance and acceptance (not necessarily approval) that these women deserve.

[1] Underhill, K; Operario, D, Montgomery, P (2007 Oct 17). Operario, Don. ed. "Abstinence-only programs for HIVinfection prevention in high-income countries"

[2] Kohler, Pamela; Lafferty, William (2008 Apr). "Abstinence-Only and Comprehensive Sex Education and the Initiation of Sexual Activity and Teen Pregnancy". Journal of Adolescent Health

[3] Effective Sex Education, Brigid McKeon, 2006

[4] "Planned Parenthood IUD Birth Control" - Mirena IUD
SANTORUM2012

Pro

I have no response for my opponents argument. points to con for his outstanding rebuttal.
Posted by KaleBevilacqua 3 years ago
KaleBevilacqua
Brilliant job, Rodrack.
Posted by Rodrack 4 years ago
Rodrack
why, thank you very much =)
Posted by SANTORUM2012 4 years ago
SANTORUM2012
Very nice rebuttal!
Posted by Rodrack 4 years ago
Rodrack
You're right, it sounds confusing. Nevertheless, someone has accepted my debate challenge, and I believe she is aware of what we are debating.
Posted by wiploc 4 years ago
wiploc
I recommend you reverse the phrasing: Something like, "Resolved: It's okay for women to be promiscuous." Then you can be pro. People will be less confused.
Vote Placed by qopel 4 years ago
qopel
RodrackSANTORUM2012Tied
Reasons for voting decision: It was an awesome debate until Pro gave up at the end.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
RodrackSANTORUM2012Tied
Reasons for voting decision: !ff. Conduct to PRO for a graceful forfeit. :)
Vote Placed by Numidious 4 years ago
Numidious
RodrackSANTORUM2012Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF gives con the victory, and he would have received my vote anyhow for his argument based on the morality of the thing - it would be very inappropriate for a sex ed teacher to downgrade the value of individuals who have had children very young, and promiscuity does not necessitate unprotected promiscuity.