Lolster102
Silly_Billy

It was right for Jeremy Clarkson to be sacked from Top Gear

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 9/10/2016 Category: TV

Lolster102

Pro

It is right that Jeremy Clarkson was sacked from Top Gear. He is a very controversial presenter/entertainer and he has said quite a lot of things in the past that he really should have been sacked for. Whenever somebody like Frankie Boyle makes a slightly offensive joke, he is sacked fro Mock the Week. Why not the same with Clarkson? Because people like him. So? Some people like murdering other people. Just because people like him doesn't mean he should still be allowed. I wish anybody who wishes to come up against me luck in what I believe to be such an obvious matter.
Silly_Billy

Con

Before I put down my stance on this subject, let me first say that even though I do not agree with Clarkson having been fired, that I do feel that he crossed the line more than once. The problem I however is that Clarkson was never convicted of crossing the line and that "crossing the line" is a rather subjective term that frankly can be used to fire anyone from any job simply because someone demands it. In my opinion, there should be no punishment without crime and if a crime was committed, then a verdict should have been reached in a court of law.
Lolster102

Pro

Just remember how many times in the past Clarkson was almost fired from Top Gera. He is basically the Donald Trump of British entertainment. He says the most outrageous stuff but is allowed to stay on Top Gear because people like him. Personally, I think he should have been sacked a long time ago. Remember the fact that he was sacked for punching the producer. Physical abuse! Of course he was going to get sacked. If he had said the same things in an office or simitate, he would have been sacked a long time ago and would possibly be in prison.
Silly_Billy

Con

1: He punched a producer:

Clarkson was on the receiving end of violence throughout his teenage years [1] when corporeal punishment was the norm in British schools [2]. "Exposure to violence is among the most detrimental experiences children can have, impacting how they think, feel and act" [3] "Children who experience violence are more likely to become ensnared in a cycle of violence that leads to future violent behaviour" [3] I can not condone what he did, but I can understand how he came to commit violence considering what he experienced during his formative years and it is easy to blame society but then again, any society that condones violence against children is a society that is asking to be blamed when those children end up violent. The law didn't think it to be serious though because the matter was dropped [4]. Clarkson should have been send to an advanced course in Anger Management instead.

2: He is a controversial presenter:

I came across a page with some of his quotes and as wrong as they were, I had to chuckle. He is one of those people that I love to hate, he's the stereotype ogre that would fart at the queen's banquet and get the laughs, he could walk around Trafalgar square saying "Sieg Heil" and people would look at him endearingly and go "ooh" and "ah" because he is Clarkson. He gets away with it because he is a stereotype of ourselves, he is a mirror to the darker side of society and to take him off the air is to lock away the prejudices that exist within society. Prejudice is a cancer and should not be ignored. A tumor must be treated and Clarkson gives us the opening to treat prejudice. By sprouting prejudice, he is giving us the tool to confront prejudice by showing how ridiculous prejudice is. Condemn Clarkson if you must but society needs him and people like him to say the wrong thing or society will never outgrow the prejudices that it has.

[1] https://goo.gl...
[2] https://goo.gl...
[3] https://goo.gl...
[4] https://goo.gl...
Lolster102

Pro

All of the times Clarkson has done something bad, the BBC have said, "Next time you do something like that, your going to get fired." Do you know what happened the next time? The BBC said that next time he was going to get fired. Even after the whole "slope" scandal, which I still believe was pure racism, he got allowed to continue on with Top Gear. I accept the Falklands War scandal might not have been his fault but the BBC should have have dropped Jeremy from the program. There is an entire Wikipedia page on Top Gear controversies, all of which involve Clarkson.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org...
He is a racist, homophobic, sexist man. Of course it was right for him to be sacked from Top Gear
Silly_Billy

Con

Clarkson is a racist, homophobic, and sexist man in a world that is racist, homophobic, and sexist. To silence him is not going to change that. The only way to change such attitudes is through dialogue and reason, not through oppression that only serves to create the false impression that it is no longer there because you no longer hear it. Sacking him was the wrong thing to do.
Posted by Lolster102 8 months ago
Lolster102
My first debate, please be lenient
Posted by Silly_Billy 8 months ago
Silly_Billy
Limiting a debate to 2000 characters only gives absolutely no room for debating.