AbandonedSpring
Fiscal

It would be beneficial to the nation (USA) to remove the electoral college system.

AbandonedSpring

AbandonedSpring

Pro

Hello. In this debate, I must prove that the electoral is hurting the American body. As Con, you must prove that the electoral is beneficial.

Thanks, and good luck!
Fiscal

Con

Getting rid of the electoral college system.... Unconstitutional.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

To begin, I'd like to state that constitutionality is not an issue when we talk about congress passing a bill. That is a controversial statement to say the least! But allow me to explain.

The only branch that decides constitutionality is the judicial branch. If congress got together and abolished the electoral college, and the president vetoes the bill. In this instance, congress would draft the amendment, the president would look at the amendment, and the states would vote and do all of their things. The supreme court is not involved in this process. If the amendment ratifies, then it becomes constitutional, and therefore it cannot possibly be unconstitutional if it is part of the constitution.

Also, the 12th amendment was not a part of the bill of rights. Any amendment can be changed by another amendment. This is clearly laid out in the constitution. Just look at the prohibition amendment, which was later invalidated by another amendment. If something is stated in the constitution, it can be changed. Things can be added, and things can be removed.

The constitution protects our basic rights. If an American rights is putting our own representative in power, then pecan pie is another party voting for us? The person you elect into the electoral college is not required to vote for the party you voted him in to vote for. If you vote a republican representative, he is not required to vote republican.

Also, the electoral college allows for the loser to win. In fact, this has happened recently. Al Gore v. Bush for the presidency. Gore had won the popular vote in America, but because of the electoral college, he lost. Is this a democratic government? Is it even a republican form of government? No, it's not. Because of the electoral college, our votes are virtually worthless.

Getting rid of a government system is not unconstitutional if it uses the constitution to get rid of it. http://www.law.cornell.edu...

Ammenment 12 is after all an amendment, which can easily be changed. This would not be the first time an amendment was changed by another amendment.

Thanks
Fiscal

Con

Basically what you are saying is that Bush should of lost to Gore etc. I know if we abolished the electoral college system, my home state would not have a say. It is a must. Every state needs to contribute to the union.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Do you understand basic democracy? I do not wish to establish a republic, which is what you are thinking. I am thinking of pure democracy. My vote is equal to your vote, therefor our state has no voice. Only the people have the power- true popular sovereignty. You home state should not have a say. No state should have a stay. The constitution was not established to protect the state from the federal government, but the people from the federal government.

Thanks
Fiscal

Con

Fiscal forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Flipbook 2 years ago
Flipbook
AbandonedSpringFiscalTied
Reasons for voting decision: Wow. Sorry, I would've accepted this if i cared enough.