mostlogical
Cobalt

It's Okay to Fat Shame Women

mostlogical

Pro

I am not a fat shamer. I have created this debate because I seek someone to challenge my view, that it is acceptable to fat shame women.

I am aware that most people do not approve of fat shaming, however my opponent must show why it isn't okay to fat shame women

Structure:

R1 = Acceptance only!
R2 - R4 = Arguments and counter arguments
R5 = Conclusion

Rules

No forfeiting
Also Burden of proof is shared

Good Luck Con!
Cobalt

Con

I accept. Given the fact that we have 5 rounds to debate here, I don't have much to say.

As part of my acceptance, I will offer my thesis. (Note, no arguments are being presented here -- merely my stance.)

Thesis: "Fat shaming" people hurts society, which is inherently bad.

I look forward to my opponent's arguments.
mostlogical

Pro

I'm glad you accepted, as I enjoyed the last debate we had.

I'll make a start. If no-one shamed fat women then more women would, because of feminists and their "fat is beautiful" (fat acceptance) movements, believe that men actually find fat bodies attractive.This would lead to much more women having health problems.

Most men are attracted to women who look healthy, expressing disgust is also natural. Why should a man say nothing i.e. agree with the harmful lies feminists make about what he finds attractive. He might not want to be thought of as one of those sick guys who experience erotic pleasure from feeding a partner, making her so fat she can't wear clothes or go anywhere.

Most women who are fat are this way due to being lazy, overeating and hating men.
They cost Britain nearly £47bn a year (that's more than the war on terrorism). [1] A third of hospitals or more in NHS could go bust as a result [2] which unfairly affects those who chose a healthy lifestyle. Yet feminists continue to want everyone to believe that fat shamers are selfish cowards who like to bully others, even though bullies are never cruel to be kind.

Home cooking was turned into a symbol of drudgery by second-wave feminists. Feminists are no doubt responsible for the obesity epedemic. Fat shamers are not to blame. Women are still generally in favour of feminism which is why this problem persists. If fat women are not shamed we will have fat manniquins etc, and the next generation will not bother to lose weight in order to fit into a smaller dress.

Thanks for reading

sources

[1] http://www.theguardian.com......
[2] http://www.express.co.uk......
Cobalt

Con

Cobalt forfeited this round.
mostlogical

Pro

my arguments stand, here are the links for round 2, I apologise for them not working earlier

source 1 =

http://www.theguardian.com...

source 2 =

http://www.express.co.uk...

Cobalt

Con

First and foremost, I must emphatically apologize to the voters and to my opponent. Missing a round isn't just irresponsible -- it's downright rude. I am sorry for this mistake on my end. The holidays are abuzz and it simply slipped past me.

Fortunately, this is a 5 round debate and I believe I'll be able to adequately defend my position in the remaining time.

The opponent has made multiple claims, so I will attempt to separate these claims into subpoints for the sake of clarity.

1. The absence of fat-shaming leads to more fat women, in turn causing health problems.

This argument is patently false. The crux of the opponent's argument can be seen here: that "fat shaming causes a decrease in obesity." However, research shows that fat shaming actually has the opposite affect. [1]

What follows are the actual impacts of fat shaming.

(a) Women are more likely to eat after being fat shamed. In one study, women were found to eat three times as much as the control group after watching a 'fat shaming' video.

(b) Fat shaming increases the risk of obsesity. In a study of nearly 3,000 people it was found that fat shaming increases the risk of obesity by nearly seven times.

(c) Fat shaming increases the risk of various psychological and physiological disorders, namely: depression, eating disorders, and reduced self esteem.

(d) Obese people are up to 12 times as likely to commit suicide. The increases in obesity due to fat shaming directly implies that fat shaming increases the risk of suicide.

It is clear that the opponent's assumption that "fat shaming" leads to a decrease in weight is not just innacurate -- it's the polar opposite of reality. Fat shaming increases the levels of obesity and only fuels the obesity epidemic.

2. Most men are attracted to healthy looking women, so why should they [men] not fat shame.

The refutation of point (1) clearly addresses this point. Regardless of whether men do or do not prefer 'healthy' women, they do not improve the situation by fat shaming women. Instead, they actually decrease the number of healthy looking women, thus creating a situation counter to their desires.

3. Most fat women are so because they are lazy, they overeat, and they hate men.

While the burden of proof is shared, it is still the debater's obligation to back up the claims that they themselves make. As such, the opponent needs to present evidence proving that women are fat because they are lazy, overeating, men haters. I have presented evidence demonstrating that at least one contributing to obesity is fat shaming.

As for the evidence that the opponent did present, it addressed the health costs of obesity. I must fully agree that obesity has negative economic impacts that adversely affect everyone in society. Because I have demonstrated that fat shaming worsens the obesity epidemic, it is clear that, in order to prevent these increased medical costs, we must stop fat shaming.

4. Feminists are responsible for the obesity epidemic.

Again, the opponent presents an argument that is 100% rhetoric and 0% substantiated. The opponent should present evidence that feminists are responsible for the obesity epidemic. And even if we assume that they have played a role, we are not debating "feminism", but rather "fat shaming". And again, I have demonstrated that fat shaming only serves to increase obesity.

The opponent doesn't present a well-reasoned argument and instead offers an anti-feminism rhetoric, attributing obesity to feminisim and prescribing "fat shaming" as the solution.

In reality, the evidence shows that fat shaming worsens obesity. My link [1] contains 12 studies that each explore different ways that fat shaming negatively affects a person's physical and emotional health.

It is no doubt of paramount importance that we find a way to decrease obesity, but it is clear this is not the way. As such, vote Con.

1 - http://authoritynutrition.com...;[contains 12 studies]
mostlogical

Pro

1. Absence of fat shaming leads to more fat women

Strangely your source link does not open when clicked however when copy and pasted: http://authoritynutrition.com... can be read. Lets look at the research you refer to which only proves that comfort eating exists, and fails to prove that fat shaming leads to more fat women.

"In a study of 93 women, exposure to weight stigmatizing information made overweight women, but not normal weight women, eat more calories and feel less in control of their eating"

Fat shaming only affects people's eating behaviour if they are overweight. Women were not born fat, therefore fat shaming is not the reason why women are fat. The actual reason for obesity as said in round 2 is feminism. If the research you have provided is accurate, I can conclude that fat shaming cannot possibly lead to more women being fat, because fat shaming only affects women who are already fat. It can reduce the number of fat people though.

I admit there will be women who after being fat shamed will think "I'm fat, that's just who I am, there's nothing I can do about it". They may gain more weight but should we feel pity and give them a card saying how beautiful they are? My answer is no. Obesity should never be accepted. If nothing is said, more women will believe what fat feminists say and become fat like them presumably so the fat women feel better about themselves. Men

The women who give up on their health often have tried many different diets and blame men for putting pressure on them to go on yoyo diets, meaning fat shaming does work. The only reason why they are still fat is because feminists deny all responsibility for their weight and health. They try everything accept going to the doctor, eating less, eating healthy food, sleeping well and excercising. There is no excuse for not doing any of these things. Nobody force fed them, they did it to themself.

Here is another snippet from your source:

"Some believe that making overweight people feel ashamed of their weight or eating habits actually helps motivate them to lose weight"

Believe it or not, there are two types of motivation: positive (enjoyment and pleasure), and negative (pain and pressure). We all prefer the positive type of motivation but that can't always motivate us, sometimes we do need negative motivation. Imagine someone who never gets to that low point in their life or acknowledges a problem, they will never change, something has to trigger them to do something. Also the research you have shown does not even show the number of healthy women who will not go down the same unhealthy path as a result of knowing fat women being shamed and learning what men do find attractive.

Men should not stop fat shaming women because of what biased studies say. Appealing to the other sex is a motivator. By accepting obesity, people will be demotivated to be healthy and not respect other people's opinions, and then eat themselves to an early grave.

Fat feminists hide behind those who are fat because of a medical condition saying no-one knows if they have one. If most women were fat because of a medical condition then it wouldn't be okay to fat shame but this isn't the case.

"Obesity is usually the result of overeating, but in a small percentage of people excess weight gain is a symptom of another disease." [1]

We should reduce the cost of obesity, and be able to express our anger in a polite way.

The feminist movement known as 'fat acceptance' is making women proud to be fat. Most overweight women tend to be lazy, lack energy, have self-esteem issues and lack responsibility. Yet they say men should not judge a woman by her body and should simply find fat beautiful. [2] Men do not need to be told what they find attractive, this behaviour is not acceptable. The only way to stop this is to fat shame.

sources:
[1] http://www.webmd.com...
[2] http://www.returnofkings.com...
Cobalt

Con

Cobalt forfeited this round.
mostlogical

Pro

People become fat mostly as a result of being lazy, overeating and adopting a negative belief such as feminism. Feminists push for fat acceptance to spread hate which causes more people to seek comfort in food and many to be proud of being fat and living an unhealthy lifestyle. Accepting their lie that obese women are attractive is a mistake, obese parents usually have unhealthy children. If men do not voice their opinion more women will become fat, especially if we end up having manniquins in their size (which they want to feel better about theirself) so the next generation have no aspiration to fit into a smaller dress or look pretty.

Fat shaming women does not increase the number of obese women, but it can deter healthy women from being unhealthy.

Although fat feminists may put on more weight having been fat shamed, this is because of their negative attitude towards men and not because a small minority of men fat shame. The few men who do fat shame have a right to be angry and disgusted, as obesity costs Britain £47bn a year and does not just damage the health of those who overeat e.g. we may lose the NHS.

Negative motivation is necessary, it can help someone to realize their problem and do something about it like seek professional advice when they are not motivated by enjoyment or pleasure. Allowing fat feminists to believe they are attractive only stops women doing something about their health problem.

Fat shamers (or someone who fat shames once) are not cowards or bullies, they are being cruel to be kind! It is important to be able to share our opinions when they affect us. We need to stop obesity by tackling feminism therefore it is okay to fat shame women.

Thanks for debating this topic with me
Cobalt

Con

Cobalt forfeited this round.
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
Sure. Set it up, but I'll be using semantics.
Posted by mostlogical 1 year ago
mostlogical
it doesn't seem like anyone has a single argument against fat shaming women, Rami I'll accept the challenge but will have to be after boxing day if that's okay?
Posted by Rami 1 year ago
Rami
Hey, I'd take this debate, but the resolution has to be exactly the same.
Posted by mostlogical 1 year ago
mostlogical
sorry I copied and pasted the links and they don't work properly, I'll post them on the next round
Posted by Rockozer 1 year ago
Rockozer
Lol. I agree you should be able to fat shame. Men are constantly me emasculated by society, so why not make fun of women.