It's always God's will to heal the sick (Christian)

My argument is for "it is always God's will to heal the sick". I would like to debate with someone who believes in the authority of the Bible and who disagrees with this statement.
The debate will be for 5 rounds (to allow for an in depth debate).
Upon accepting this debate please respond with your first argument against this opening statement.

Thank you

Thank-you Pro for this debate. I have myself doubt the Bible in certain places but as a whole, I believe it is true.

Before we start however, I would like to clarify a few things.

1.) The burden of proof lies upon pro. Pro must prove that God will always, one hundred percent of the time, heal a sick christian.
2.) Defintions:

Christian: "A person who believes in the teachings of Jesus Christ." [1]
Sickness: "Unhealthy condition of body or mind : the state of being sick" [2]

3.) Belief in the Bible. We are assuming that the Bible is true. Therfore any references in the Bible may be used.
4.) God of the Bible. We are referring to the christian God.

So here is the debate: Pro must prove that God will always heal a person who follows the teaching of Christ.

To disprove this, I must present at least one example of where God did not heal a christian to refute this.

However, instead of bringing up an example I would like to go through a logical chain. (Just so that this debate isn't just about one example.)

Point 1. God does all for His glory

Isaiah 43:7 "...everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." NIV [3]

A christian is someone God has called, He has called and created them to glorify Himself.

John Piper said, “God created us for this: to live our lives in a way that makes him look more like the greatness and the beauty and the infinite worth that he really is. This is what it means to be created in the image of God.” [4]

Point 2 Trusting God in Sickness brings God glory

The purpose of man according to the Bible is to glorify God, this is best done by trusting in Him; especially when there is pain. When we trust God even when in pain or sickness, we show God is worth it. That glorifies Him. So it is actually God's will to allow pain and sickness to those who trust Him.

Point 3 Practical Example

The very fact that christians die of sicknesses, especially missionaries, menas that God doesn't always heal. His purpose is to glorigy Himself, that often includes sickness leading to death.

Point 4 Biblical Examples

Are there examples in the Bible that support this? Absolutely. The Apostle Paul

2 Corinthians 12:8–9 "...Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” NIV [5]

It's unclear as to what sickness this excatly was, but what is certain is this. Paul suffered daily due to this thorn in his flesh. Did God heal him? No.

2 Timothy 2:3 "Join with me in suffering, like a good soldier of Christ Jesus." [6]

This is an article by John Piper entitle "Christ and Cancer." [7]

"Before I entered college I hardly gave a thought to cancer and terminal illness. But ever since those college days death by disease has walked beside me all the way. Two of my college acquaintances died of leukemia and cancer of the lymph glands before they were 22. At seminary I watched Jim Morgan, my teacher of systematic theology, shrivel up and die in less than a year of intestinal cancer. He was 36. In my graduate program in Germany my own "doctor-father," Professor Goppelt, died suddenly just before I was finished. He was 62—a massive coronary. Then I came to Bethel, the house of God! And I taught for six years and watched students, teachers, and administrators die of cancer: Sue Port, Paul Greely, Bob Bergerud, Ruth Ludeman, Graydon Held, Chet Lindsay, Mary Ellen Carlson—all Christians, all dead before their three score and ten were up. And now I've come to Bethlehem and Harvey Ring is gone. And you could multiply the list ten-fold."

The resolution has been disproved through two ways: God does what He pleases, that sometimes include the suffering of His followers. Also I have provided examples that show christians get sick and often God never heals them.

Back to Pro.

Thank you Con for joining the debate.

Just to clarify, the title of the debate is "it is always God's will to heal the sick". The reason I put "(Christian)" is not to specify that it has to a sick Christian, but to specify that this debate is about the Christian God.

So the debate is to prove that it is always God's will to heal the sick.

To define:

Will = Strong's dictionary #2307 - will, wish, desire [1]

I will prove that it is always God's will (wish, desire) to heal the sick (any sick).

To do this only two point have to be demonstrated:

1. Is it always God's will to heal the sick? (The title of this debate)

and to prove this even further, the answer to the next question will prove this another way:

2. Did God command believers to heal the sick?

To answer question 1, really only one thing needs to be proved from the Bible, which is:

3. Did the sacrifice of Jesus Christ include the provision and payment for healing?

To answer question 3 we have to turn to Isaiah 53, the scripture about what Jesus did for us:

"Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:4-5 (KJV)

Another version puts it this way:

"Surely our sicknesses he hath borne, And our pains -- he hath carried them, And we -- we have esteemed him plagued, Smitten of God, and afflicted. And he is pierced for our transgressions, Bruised for our iniquities, The chastisement of our peace [is] on him, And by his bruise there is healing to us." Isaiah 53:4-5 (YLT)

In the scripture above we can clearly see that Jesus paid the price for our healing, through the stripes or bruise that He took. Thus proving that it is God's will to heal the sick, since one of the reason He sent Jesus to provide the payment for the healing.

To answer question 2 (above); "did God command believers to heal the sick?" We will let the Bible answer for itself through the following scriptures:

"And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give." Matthew 10:7-8

This is when Jesus sent out the twelve. Jesus clearly issued them with the command "heal the sick". So it was the disciples job to heal the sick person using the power and authority that Jesus had given them just a few verses before:

"And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease." Matthew 10:1-2

Also, in the book of Luke we see a similar scenario when Jesus sent out the seventy:

"And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you: And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you." Luke 10:8-9

So we can see that the seventy other followers we commanded to heal all the sick in the city.

Finally, we will look at two scriptures which include some of Jesus' last words on Earth:

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen." Matthew 28:18-20

Here Jesus commands his disciples to teach all nations to observe all things whatsoever that He commanded them. We have already seen that He commanded them to heal the sick, but in-case we are in any doubt, lets look at another example:

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mark 16:15-18

This verse proves that one of the signs that follow those who believe, is that they shall lay their hands on the sick, and they shall recover. So the emphasis is on the believer to minister healing to the sick person.

Going back to the original debate; it is always God's will to heal the sick. By demonstrating the scriptures above, we can answer the questions:

1. Is it always God's will to heal the sick?

Yes, because Isaiah 53:4-5 proves that Jesus paid for the healing (also answers question 3 above).

Yes, because when Jesus sent out His followers on a mission, He told them to preach and heal.

Answering these two questions proves that it is always God's will to heal the sick. Just as it is always God's will that the lost be saved. But there are still people dying without accepting Jesus as Lord, and therefore not being saved. Just because something happened does not mean that it was God's will for it to happen. God desires all the sick healed, just as He desires all the lost to be saved. But He has tasked us with the job of preaching and healing, so if it's not getting done, we don't need to look at God, we need to examine ourselves.

Over to you Con.

debater409 forfeited this round.

During this round I will take some time to lay out other scriptures that prove it is always God's will to heal the sick.

"Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;" Psalm 103:1-3

Here we see that one of the benefits of God is He heals all our diseases

"How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him." Acts 10:38

Here we see that God's was for Jesus of Nazareth to be anointed with the Holy Ghost and Power, so He could go around doing good and healing ALL that were oppressed of the devil, because God was with Him.

God's will is still that the oppressed are set free, and it will be by those anointed the Holy Ghost and Power. God's will is to heal all who are oppressed of the devil. This is possible because God is with the one who has been anointed with the Holy Ghost and Power. If a believer has the Holy Ghost, does not this scripture also become relevant to the believer with regards to God's will?

"Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him." James 5:14-15

God's will is for the sick to call the elders and for the elders to pray the prayer of faith, so that the sick can be saved (or healed) and his sins forgiven.

"Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven." Matthew 6:10

God's will is for His kingdom to come and His will to be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Is there any sickness in heaven?

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." 3 John 1:2

God's will is for us to prosper and be in health, even as our soul prospers.

"When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses." Matthew 8:16-17

God's will is for all the sick to be healed, because Jesus took our infirmities and bare our sicknesses (prophecy from Isaiah 53:4)

Back to you Con

debater409 forfeited this round.

For this round I simply ask you to look at the life of Jesus Christ. It often says that He healed them ALL and He said to the disciples "if you have seen me, you have seen the Father".

debater409 forfeited this round.

I will not add anything on this round

debater409 forfeited this round.
Posted by NoMagic 1 year ago
"I don't think god wants anyone to get sick." What? The story of Noah! He killed nearly all life on the planet, women, children, grandparents, lion cubs, bear cubs, little cut Pandas, you name it, god's killed it.
Posted by Esiar 1 year ago
I don't think God wants anyone to get sick, but he may make them sick for the long-term benefit.
Posted by warren42 1 year ago
So Pro, upon accepting, we would, for the purposes of this debate, accept the Bible as true?
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 1 year ago
I believe in god by the way.
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 1 year ago
I think god does not interfere in life whatsoever. For is so, under what precursor? For its clear that he does not protect the good from evil, or prevent the suffering of the innocent, so why else would he step in?
Vote Placed by NoMagic 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gets conduct points due to Con's forfeitures. Pro gets argument points due to Con's forfeitures. How does Con lose this. Sick people die everyday, therefore it isn't "always" god's will to heal the sick. He actually doesn't seem interested in it at all.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture