PonyGirl
BigSky

It's better to sleep facing up then sideways

BigSky

PonyGirl

Pro

It's better for health because, when kids are younger they are most likely to sleep sideways and which ends up giving damage to their teeth. Sleeping sideways can make babies and kids have crooked teeth ending up making them wear braces which costs a lot of money.
BigSky

Con

Thank you to my opponent to this unusual, but interesting debate topic.

My opponent's argument that it is harmful to a child's teeth may not be false, but it is not a normally occuring incident. My argument is that sleeping on your side not only isn't bad for you, but it is natural!

Sleeping on your side is natural to the curvature of the human spine, it is even said that laying on your side in the fetal position can relieve stress on your back. Sleeping on your back, while not being completely natural to your spine, is also a pain if you snore! Scientists are unsure why, by sleeping on your back may make your snoring worse. In another case, sleeping on your left side can actaully relieve heartburn.

http://www.fitsugar.com...

Laying on your back may actual induce back pain! While laying on your side is actually beneficial to your lower back.

http://bettersleep.org...

Even if teeth were the risk of sleeping on your side, braces are much cheaper in the end then to have to pay for back problems you may receive for your whole life.

PonyGirl

Pro

On a website, it said something about sleeping up is better for your face if you care about how you look. and since a lot of people care, im just gonna say , sleeping up makes you have less wrinkles that makes you look younger which everbody wants to look younger .
http://www.realself.com... this is the website where i got my info. Even oprah talked on this website and said, ' whats your secret to looking so young?"
BigSky

Con

Thank You for your response.

I won't deny Pro, seeing as how I have no idea whether or not sleeping on your back makes you prettier. I will argue the fact however that having a strong and painless back is more important than having a pretty face and a painful back.

1) Sadly we live in a society that judges the individual on appearance, so while Oprah and other women may sleep on their backs to stay "pretty," I must point out that being pretty will not get you far in life if you have back problems.

2) A strong back means a healthy back, and having one gives the individual endless oppurtunities in life. Most physical labor requires stregth of body and mind. Being pretty with a weak back won't help you in the labor field. Being able to defend yourself in a mugging requires some strength, and having a pretty face may sadly make you a traget when you're alone on a street.

My opponent makes an interesting point when she says that sleeping on your back makes you look young, but with a bad back, you certainly won't feel young.

Thank You

PonyGirl

Pro

It is good to have a better back which means a healthy back. But it's good for a lot of people to sleep up because they're are some people who will criticize a person for how they look because they have wrinkles. Like ar school, a teenager wodnt want to get bullied because of how they look because they sleep sideways. They would want to look good so that they look like the bulky and won't get bullied anymore about how their face looks. No one ever got bullied for having a bad back, because people slouch all the time so a bully wouldn't mind. And wouldn't tease people for having a bad back. I agree that having a healthy back is good. But it's better not to get bullied because of how your face looks.
BigSky

Con

My opponent does make another interesting point.

If sleeping on your back will keep you from getting bullied at school because it will make you less ugly, then by all means please sleep on your back! I certainly woudn't want you to get bullied because other students thought you look ugly. On the other hand, I think that if someone is so worried about their looks and getting bullied that that is their problem, not how they look. You shouldn't care how you look! It's the people teasing you should change not you!

From a Christian perspective, I would advise that you just turn the other cheek. It doesn't matter what they think about you, they probably aren't worthy of your attention.

Now back to the issue.

While sleeping on your back may make you look pretty, it certainly isn't worth any back problems you might receive in return for your good looks. Like I said before, when you are sleeping on your side, you are actually sleeping along with the curvature in your spine. It's natural.

I never thought I would be able to put out this message in a debate about which position is better to sleep in, but don't worry about what people think about how you look, they really aren't worth your time. You will have your treasure in heaven, and that is what matters the most.

Thank You
Posted by makhdoom5 4 years ago
makhdoom5
i dont think. it make retain tour prettiness.
where is medical evidence.
what is the mechanism.
they say its theory.
and has been confirm.
but its also doctor opinion no medical evidence.
Posted by makhdoom5 4 years ago
makhdoom5
indeed. sleeping on back its cause the gases in you stomach to rush toward your LES ( least esophageal sphincter) and make it weak. which i also had problem.
but now i am rid of it by changing my habits.
more if you sleep on back its really cause your neck problem. if you dont use pillow than not.
other wise the left or right side give you height to reach in line with the pillow.
well you know better than me i have suffer a lot.
and sleeping on belly is worse. it cause problem to health man.
its baddest.
and devil sleep in belly.
sorry if you atheist than devil is not your subject.
Posted by makhdoom5 4 years ago
makhdoom5
i was having heart burn for more than 9 years.
and this goes worse when you sleep on back.
indeed its best you sleep on your right side. but when you have heart burn or acid reflux than you must sleep on left side.
our prophet said on sleeping right side is best. but when you have stomach disorder or same heart burn than sleep on left.
Posted by PonyGirl 4 years ago
PonyGirl
Aw.. Thanks. :) :p
Posted by BigSky 4 years ago
BigSky
lol not really, you made some good arguments :)
Posted by PonyGirl 4 years ago
PonyGirl
Oh my god. You are professional. :) I shouldve chose anither easier topic. :)
Vote Placed by tulle 4 years ago
tulle
PonyGirlBigSkyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's assertions were not backed up by sources, while Con's were. Pro admits that having a better back is important, and claims children will get bullied if their appearance suffers due to not sleeping on their back. However, the source re: appearance was not about children (and children don't have wrinkles...). So it doesn't follow that a child will suffer socially from sleeping on his/her side. Anyway, Con's points that the curvature of your spine makes sleeping on your side more comfortable, and has a less damaging effect on your spine wins the argument.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
PonyGirlBigSkyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Countering qopel because I have no idea why the f*ck hes countering a legit vote by more points then the original vote even allocated
Vote Placed by qopel 4 years ago
qopel
PonyGirlBigSkyTied
Reasons for voting decision: CVB
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 4 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
PonyGirlBigSkyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con simply stayed on topic and rebutted Pro's points adequately.