gabe17
Kinesis

It's not possible for hollywood to make a successful adaptation of an anime

Started: 2/12/2010 Category: Arts

gabe17

Pro

Hollywood sucks when it comes to making films out of anime, and great anime too
Kinesis

Con

I agree that pretty much all anime adaptations presented so far have been quite poor; especially the recent Dragonball movie (shudders). I might even agree that Hollywood are unlikely to every produce a fully adequate movie anytime in the near future. However, I disagree that it isn't POSSIBLE for them to do so. Unlikely, perhaps, but in the immense range of possible scenarios, there is undoubtedly one or two where they actually made a blistering, well produced Dragonball epic that both pleased fans and drew in new ones.

Furthermore, Pro has not defined 'successful'; Hollywood has made adaptions which made a reasonable amount of money, so they could be successful in that way. They have undoubtedly made adaptions that pleased some fans of the original anime, so it could be considered successful in that way.

Pro has placed a huge burden of proof on himself, saying that it isn't 'possible' for Hollywood to make a successful adaptation, and has effectively tied his hand behind his back by failing to provide a definition for successful.
gabe17

Pro

I'd like to thank my con for particpating in the debate. First off con mentions that I fail eloborate on what success really means when I talk about hollywood making a successful adaptation. Well its completely clear that i mean everything about an anime adaptation. No reason to explain myself there. my oponent mentions that there have been a few adaptations that have been successful when it comes to money. Which ones? Because as far as Im concerned none have been successful when it came to making money. Okay, if you think of the matrix maybe because it did have quite a few elements from "Ghost in the shell". Yet even then it wasnt an "anime adaptation" thus, exclude that as a possibile choice in this debate. Nothing has been successful, money or quality, hollywoods attempts to make anime adaptations have never succeded. They just dont appeal to the fans what so ever. Thus it affects the profit production companies expect to make. the studio that did dragon ball expected to do so well that they planned two sequals. Unfortunatley it sucked so bad and pissed of the fan base that they dropped the idea of two sequals and have resorted to a re-boot of the Dragon ball series (which hopefully this time hollywood doesn't mess up).
Kinesis

Con

Before I begin, let me note that Pro has effectively conceded the debate by not responding to the point that the resolution says it isn't POSSIBLE for Hollywood to make a successful adaptation. This is clearly false, so at this point I'm really only responding to my opponent's arguments out of courtesy.

Also, let me note that Hollywood hasn't created very many adaptations of anime at all: it is simply to soon to tell if they could potentially do a good job on them. Of the few adaptations that have been made, profit was made: Dragonball Evolution made over $57 million worldwide. Profit is an aspect of success.

Pro's entire post seems to hinge entirely on the failure of current adaptations, but he must show much more than that: he must show that any future endeavours in the future will fail as well. He must show that it is IMPOSSIBLE for any future attempts to succeed. Until his does that, the resolution remains negated, and Con wins.
gabe17

Pro

I'll respond to my opponent simply out of amusement. First off, con is not getting my entire argument . despite all I've said con still insists that I dont know what im talking about and that i must elaborate on what i mean by impossible,despite all ive said which pretty much makes it clear that im talking about every aspect of anime adaptations films.Second he mentions what Dragon ball evolution has made, 57 million worlwide now perhaps i would be impressed had i not known the production companies (Fox) expected to make prior to the films theatrical release. 57 million is a far cry from what they had orginally thought it could make which was about 80-90 million. they also anticipate the fans huge negative response to the film. it made 9.35 domestically and 57 worldwide sure they got there money back and a little bit of extra cash buts its pathetic to what they orginally hoped for. And i know con will still insist that or possibly try to prove im wrong by saying that ive contradicted my entire arguement but no, because in the end it didnt make enough to encourage 2 other sequals.I work at a movie theater the Arclight in Hollwood, California and it performed poorly while it wa there finally after a month of only 2-3 people a day showing to see the film we finally got rid of it. However, it did encourage a re-boot which most likley will involve an entirely new cast. I want to be as hopeful Con and i welcome the chance to be proven wrong reagarding hollywood's (sorry) attempts at anime adaptations. Until that day comes i will not change my opinion. and im also a true anime fan, now It is rumored that some production company will attempt a live action naruto film. ill get into that in my final arguement. My oponent has conceded this argument by using dragon ball evolution of all as his model of great anime adaptations. He has failed to present other films as evidence of his opinion. Come on con this has been a really good debate im sure you have other films you want to mention. My arguement stands this hollywood without a doubt cant make a successful anime adaptation. Based on all the films ive seen so far i believe truly it is impossible. It cant be that hard to please the fans and that is why they will fail in the future they will never try to plese the fans with something good. alright con final round next make it good thankyou for participating
Kinesis

Con

Okay, paste and response round;

'I'll respond to my opponent simply out of amusement'

--> Well good for you. I'm not really interested in the motive, as long as you don't forfeit.

'First off, con is not getting my entire argument'

--> Actually, I think it's you who doesn't understand your own resolution.

' despite all I've said con still insists that I dont know what im talking about and that i must elaborate on what i mean by impossible,despite all ive said which pretty much makes it clear that im talking about every aspect of anime adaptations films'

--> There is no definition in the English language that would allow you to make such a claim. Possible means ' being within the limits of ability, capacity, or realization' [1]. Granted, it's too late to set definitions in stone for the debate, but this is the most commonly used definition of the word, and more importantly, there is no definition that would grant your interpretation.

'Second he mentions what Dragon ball evolution has made, 57 million worlwide now perhaps i would be impressed had i not known the production companies (Fox) expected to make prior to the films theatrical release'

--> Well, fine, (although this point isn't relevant at all to the outcome of the debate). Dragonball didn't make as much money as they'd hoped. It still paid for itself, and made plenty of money on top of that, so in that sense it could be called a success. It was a success as a movie: it made a fair amount of profit. That's all there is to it.

' I want to be as hopeful Con and i welcome the chance to be proven wrong reagarding hollywood's (sorry) attempts at anime adaptations. Until that day comes i will not change my opinion. and im also a true anime fan'

--> Anime has, only recently, become a respectable genre in Western culture. Film producers are still finding their feet in capturing what is great about good anime on the big screen. In Speed Racer, the recent adaptation by the Wachowski Brothers for instance, they did extremely well with the special effects, producing an incredible visual experience. However, they failed to gear the film towards the right target audience, and they failed to capture a lot about the material it's based on. They COULD have gotten it right. They COULD have done it well, and produced an impressive blockbuster. This is demonstrably true, and it's all I need to win this debate, per the resolution.

' My oponent has conceded this argument by using dragon ball evolution of all as his model of great anime adaptations'

--> Pro UTTERLY misunderstands my argument. I did NOT provide Dragonball Evolution as a great anime adaptation (although it did make a fair amount of money). I provided it as an example where they COULD have made a good anime adaptation, which is what I need to negate the resolution. Again, Pro does not seem to understand what his resolution actual IS.

' Based on all the films ive seen so far i believe truly it is impossible'

--> You simply have no real basis for making that claim. The anime adaptation industry (?) is still finding it's feet, it's only just begun. They need to work out how to do them right. Maybe they won't. Maybe they will never manage it. But it's possible that they will. Film critics thought that a respectable movie based on comic book heroes was unlikely to ever happen: then we got the brilliant Dark Knight movie. Should we have given up on ever getting a good comic book adaptation? No, it'll happen eventually. It just needs the right director, and the right vision.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
gabe17

Pro

gabe17 forfeited this round.
Posted by bluesteel 6 years ago
bluesteel
RFD:

Pro never responds to Con's analysis about the meaning of the word possible.

Pro also doesn't even do enough work in this debate to prove that Dragonball Evolution was a bad movie, although I know from having seen it that it sucks big time. But disappointing box office numbers don't prove a movie is bad in and of themselves. Pro could have discussed the awful final fight scene between Goku and Piccolo and the lameness of the Kamehameha attack, although this still would not prove that making a good anime adaptation is impossible.

Pro also could have discussed how some effects don't transfer well from anime to real life movies - the exaggerated attacks, flying really far when they get hit, pretty much all the attacks in Naruto would be pretty lame in a real life movie - shadow clone jutsu, replacement technique (imagine them turning into a tree stump in real life), etc.
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
Wooo I love you.
Posted by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
Oh, look, I made the debate sway in Kinesis' favor. ;D
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
Three hundred and forty seven.
Posted by gabe17 7 years ago
gabe17
Dude i find you really funny how old are you????
Posted by gabe17 7 years ago
gabe17
if anyone's amused here its me kid trust me lol
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
lol, I'm not crying. I'm just amused by you.
Posted by gabe17 7 years ago
gabe17
but hey thats the way things go i guess with this site unfortunatley, 7 points it is for me then other people will voice their opinion about our debate stop crying lol
Posted by gabe17 7 years ago
gabe17
lol Well one, take it easy dude seriously. An two i only casted one vote it should'nt be 7 points??? probably a glitch in my computer who konws dont get butt hurt.
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
Well, if you think the voters of this site will eventually vote me into the winning spot, what's the point of giving yourself all seven points?
Vote Placed by gabe17 6 years ago
gabe17
gabe17KinesisTied
Vote Placed by bluesteel 6 years ago
bluesteel
gabe17KinesisTied
Vote Placed by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
gabe17KinesisTied
Vote Placed by robbiesp 6 years ago
robbiesp
gabe17KinesisTied
Vote Placed by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
gabe17KinesisTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
gabe17KinesisTied