It's not the guns, it's the people
Debate Rounds (3)
If one wanted to be technical, one could say that neither guns nor people kill people - it's the bullets that kill. But let's not get bogged down in semantics - people with guns kill people - far more effectively than people with knives, baseball bats, cars, glasses or footballs. In fact, almost 70% of all murders in the US are committed with firearms, with all other weapons together making up the remaining 30%. 
If we compare countries with similar demographics, the US has 3 times as many gun deaths per head of population as Canada, 10 times Australia, and 40 times the UK. Unsurprisingly, these numbers fairly closely parallel the number of guns owned per person. 
More guns = more deaths.
50 people in a room; no guns. No one dies.
Concerning Chicago: This is a huge topic and cannot possibly be addressed in a couple of dozen words. However, immediately after Chicago banned handguns in 1982, there was a 25% drop in gun murders. After the Supreme Court overturned Chicago's ban in 2010, the numbers again rose significantly. Additionally, most of the guns that come into Chicago are from out of state or from parts of Illinois where gun control laws are not so strict. All this points to is the need for a national, regulated gun control policy.
Very few murders are committed with motor vehicles. In contrast, very few deaths by gunshot are accidental. Cars serve vital social and economic functions. The most common purpose of a gun is to kill or threaten to kill something or someone.
The first is that the number of guns doesn't change the number of deaths. He has provided no proof of this, nor has he addressed the figures I provided that prove that throughout the developed western world, the countries with more guns have more deaths. It's self-evident.
His second argument is that if they didn't have guns, people would find some other way to kill each other - he suggests knives as the most likely candidate. Consider this:
9/4/2014 Murrysville, PA. Knife attack. 22 injured, 0 fatalities.
9/4/2013 Cypress, TX. Knife attack. 14 injured, 0 fatalities.
12/14/2012 Newtown, CT. Firearm attack. 26 fatalities, 0 survivors.
This proves that it IS the guns that makes the difference. It is extremely difficult to remove deranged or simply evil people from society (before it is too late), but we can limit the weapons available for their use.
I wish to thank Pro for an enjoyable debate.
No votes have been placed for this debate.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.