RepublicanMan
Benshapiro

It's okay for non-blacks to say 'nigger'.

RepublicanMan

Con

First round is acceptance.

Rules:

1) Clear, concise arguments (with organization).

2) No trolling, no pointless arguments, etc.

3) No bias.

4) No blogposts or Wiki articles.

I wish luck to my opponent.
Benshapiro

Pro

I want to clarify my position. In certain circumstances, using the word "nigger " is appropriate by somebody is not black. That being said, I do find the word to be extremely derogatory and shouldn't be used by anyone.

Context: in court cases, it's important to deliver crucial evidence within the full context. If a non-black person committed a racist hate crime, and the person committing the crime used the word "nigger" on tape, it is important to NOT censor this to convey to the jury the full context, hate, and audacity of the person saying it. His behavior wasn't okay, but hearing the word said from a non-black person was acceptable in this context. Hateful words should never be softened when people should take full responsibility for them and be condemned for it.

Definition: in this debate, you've used the word to convey that it is something non-blacks should say but you've used the full word as part of clarification. In this circumstance and non-black person is justified for this kind of usage.
RepublicanMan

Con

First round was meant for acceptance but okay.

[1] The word 'nigger' is a racial slur, and in no given environment should it ever be used. Not even blacks should be using the word. The word 'nigger' is not really even (according to the original word) a race-based word. The word should actually just mean people of inferiority or "lesser" humans. The blacks were kept as slaves with this hard ball slur as well as the Irish slaves of Europe.

[2] In any professional environment, slurs should never be used, as they convey unprofessionalism and also convey little compassion or care for other humans. When you seek employment, no one will hire you if you use such words. If the usage of the word is frequent, that becomes a bit of a problem. A big issue is also when people tend to use the word as a term of endearment. The word is a vulgar, obscene and oppressive term, not a kid-friendly term for 'friend' or 'acquaintance'. The term is defined as such:

"ger
G2;nigər/
nounoffensive
a contemptuous term for a black or dark-skinned person.

[3] When a non-black person uses the word, it implies that they are putting themselves above the person they are speaking too; if the person is black, this makes things much worse! When blacks are called 'niggers' it is commonly another way for the user of the word to call them: worthless, trashy, inferior or disgraceful, all of which are insulting or derogatory (just as the word itself).

Conclusion of First Argument

To conclude, 'nigger' is not an okay word to use for anyone, but non-blacks saying it implies supremacy and puts the person above them.
Benshapiro

Pro

My apologies for missing the acceptance round. Since my arguments don't contradict the arguments you've brought forth I extend my arguments.

Context: A white prosecutor can read the "N" word from a manuscript of a racist person commiting a hate crime against a black person. By not softening the "N" word and actually saying it, the jury can be more appalled and the judge can sentence the offender for a longer sentence. In this context, it is okay for a non-black person (the prosecutor) to say the "N" word because it's for the greater good.

Definitional: When defining what not to say, it is okay to say the word. In this debate you've used the "N" word to define the word you were talking about. The same could apply to a live debate in which a non-black person would have to use the full "N" word to define the word that we shouldn't use.
RepublicanMan

Con

RepublicanMan forfeited this round.
Benshapiro

Pro

My arguments remain unrefruted.

Vote pro.
Posted by Dishoungh 2 years ago
Dishoungh
You guys are basically agreeing on the same conclusion which is "it shouldn't be used by anyone."
Posted by Dishoungh 2 years ago
Dishoungh
Posted by Dishoungh 2 years ago
Dishoungh
Posted by DeeAnn 2 years ago
DeeAnn
Well never before have I seen people so casually use that word... Lol isn't this against the ToS?
Posted by DeeAnn 2 years ago
DeeAnn
Posted by RepublicanMan 2 years ago
RepublicanMan
Adam, that is exactly my point.
Posted by RepublicanMan 2 years ago
RepublicanMan
Adam, that is exactly my point.
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
It's never okay to say that word.
Posted by RepublicanMan 2 years ago
RepublicanMan
The question is basically asking:

Is the word nigger okay to use if you are NOT black.

And I am taking the Con side, obviously meaning I am against non-blacks (and generally anyone really), using the word.
Posted by loganegnor 2 years ago
loganegnor
Would you care to clarify the resolution? When you say "It's okay..." do you mean that people don't take offense, or rather that it should be okay to say "nigger"?