It's pronounced "Rah-Men" noodles, not "Ray-men" noodles.

This will be a short, fun little debate about the correct way to pronounce the following type of noodles:

Living where I do, it's not at all uncommon for one to call this snack "Ray-men", and that really irks me. I understand the opposition's argument that the pronunciation is cultural, but even there it just sounds wrong.

Debate will begin in round two. Round one is for acceptance.

There are no rules which I expect to be kept rigidly, but I would appreciate it if whomever would accept this debate would keep the round light-hearted and entertaining.

There will be 4,000 Characters per round, and each 'speech' will end with 3 to 5 questions that the opponent is expected to answer. Debaters are suggested focus on just 1 argument for the sake of quality of clash.

If there are any questions, they should be asked in the comments prior to acceptance. The Con has no right to further clarify the term, or framework of the round upon acceptance. Any attempt to do so shall be seen as abuse and grounds for a forfeiture of all seven voters. Upon acceptance the Negative shall the use the first round solely for acceptance.

I accept this debate on the basis of cultural dialect and that this is America and I can pronounce words how I want without your fussy verbal oppression. USA #1.

Thanks for accepting, although I wish you have waited until your first speech t

In the Japanese language, there are 71 Hirigana and 71 Katakana[1]. These syllabary make up the sounds which exist in Japanese. Hirigana and Katakana are mirror characters, so there isn't any real distinction between the two except that Hirigana are use to make up native words, while Katana are used to make up foreign words. As the word 'Ramen' is a native word, we will be focusing on the Hirigana primarily in this debate.

Next, let it be established that Japanese vowels always make the same sounds[2]. That is A is pronounced 'ah', I is 'ee', U is 'oo' E is 'eh' and o is 'oh'. Therefore a completely phonetic pronunciation of the Japanese word Ramen is 'rah-men' I would like to leave the kana for Ramen here for reference, but unfortunately DDO doesn't support them. Here's a link to the word, it's towards the bottom of the page so just Ctrl+F and search 'ramen'.

As the field of communication grows, accidentally communication poorly becomes more and more likely "[3] Within an educational setting, the role of sender/receiver and receiver/sender can change regularly and frequently between students, faculty, administrators, administrative staff, technical support staff, and academic advisors. Therefore, as communication increases, simultaneously there is a greater opportunity for the message to be lost in translation due to technical or semantic interference."

With communication already so shaky, it is inexcusable to communicate poorly on purpose. If, for example, I am aware that the word 'bienvenidos', Spanish for 'welcome' is pronounced 'bee-en-veh-nee-dohs' and instead go around saying 'bye-en-ven-nuh-doze' then I am intentionally teaching others to say bienvenidos word incorrectly. If then one who had learned this word incorrectly were try to communicate with a native speaker, the native speaker wouldn't know what they were saying and would not be able to communicate with them. Further, they would be inhibited or even discouraged in further efforts to learn the Spanish language.

Finally, as an underview to preempt any 'is-ought' fallacies, just because something is done a certain way doesn't mean that it's the right way to do it. If a significant portion of people decided to start pronouncng the word 'Micheal' 'Mich-ee-ehl' instead of 'My-kull' that wouldn't mean that Micheal is pronounced 'Mich-ee-ehl'. It would mean that a lot of people where mispronouncing the word. It might become socially acceptable to pronounce Micheal 'Mich-ee-ehl' with so many people doing it, just as it has become acceptable to say 'Ray-Men' instead of 'Rah-Men' -- but it would still be wrong. And the fact that people were saying 'Mich-ee-ehl' instead of 'My-kull' wouldn't mean that Micheal is pronounced 'Mich-ee-ehl.

Alchemind forfeited this round.

Well then.

Alchemind forfeited this round.

:B vote Pro.

Alchemind forfeited this round.
Posted by Finn3322 3 years ago
its like he says ray man noodles wtf wat
Posted by A.WitherspoonVI 3 years ago
Malcom Roddy says Raymen noodles therefore that is how it is meant to be pronounced.
Posted by Oryus 3 years ago
lolwut? Who says ray-men noodles? Poke them vigorously in the sides for being a dummy. :P
Posted by DoctorDeku 3 years ago
If this debate isn't accepted in the next few days, then I'll delete it.
Posted by Controverter 3 years ago
But that's a fact not a debate.
Vote Placed by Misterscruffles 3 years ago