PowerPikachu21
josephrocks

It's reasonable to believe in magic

josephrocks has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

PowerPikachu21

Con

Recently I've been seeing advertisements about magic on this site. So I decided to make this debate, to see if anyone would defend the notion that magic exists.

Definitions:

Magic; the use of means (such as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces

https://www.merriam-webster.com...

Exist; to have real being whether material or spiritual, in this world

https://www.merriam-webster.com...

Rules:

1) The Burden of Proof will be mainly on Pro to show magic likely exists, but I'll also bring a few arguments that show it probably doesn't.
2) We won't be arguing whether magic exists in media (like video games or TV), but whether it exists in this world. Also, science doesn't count as magic.
3) It's preferred to have sources alongside your arguments, but they can and will be open to critique by the opposing side.

(If there's anything you'd like added to this debate, say so in the comments.)
I'm arguing that magic doesn't, or at least can't be shown to, exist in this world.
josephrocks

Pro

I except your challenge, so be prepared to lose.
PowerPikachu21

Con

I will try to use physics to support why magic probably can't exist. Here are a few ways magic isn't able to exist:

Argument:

1) Matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed. Here's a source, http://www.physicscentral.com... .

For example, when you eat an apple, it goes through several physical and chemical changes through your body, but the mass and energy contained in the apple still exists. The energy goes into your body, and whatever's left goes in the toilet. You can't create matter, it has to come from somewhere. There also hasn't been any way to remove mass from existence either.

2) We haven't seen real magic.

Ever been to a magic show? It seems like they're really turning doves into swans and making things disappear, but in reality, they're tricks. For example, when they use smoke, they use it to hide coming out/in trap doors. They also use mirrors and various other tools.

You should check out the Masked Magician, who exposes many magic tricks. Here's a video where he shows how to survive a spike trap: https://www.youtube.com...

Counter Arguments:

These are some arguments I'd expect from a magic defender, and the fallacies they contain:

You couldn't do it because you don't believe it'll work.

This is an Appeal to Faith argument; it's not true unless you believe it to be. But the thing is, if you fail a spell, you might have even a little doubt it's possible. I used to believe magic existed when I tried looking up spells, but I later gave up on that, seeing as nothingwa shappening. It's impossible to have 0 doubt, especially when you've tried to shoot a fireball 5 times and not even a spark. If we're going off of faith brings magic, magic's practically impossible to achieve.

You aren't a real wizard.

This is a No True Scottsman fallacy; suggesting people who tried haven't tried enough or just weren't competent. Why not show me exactly how it's done?

I can do magic!

Then I'd proceed to ask for video evidence. Again, they're open to critique.

God did [thing].

You can't really prove that. And anything about how the universe was created is speculation.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. So why should I believe magic exists?
Posted by PowerPikachu21 1 week ago
PowerPikachu21
And he's gone!