brian_eggleston
OMGJustinBieber

It's time Mattel released a Barbie and Kim gift set

brian_eggleston

brian_eggleston

Pro

A few years ago I bought my young niece a Barbie gift set. It cost over $100, but as the salesman explained, the price I paid was fair because it was a special "Divorced Barbie" gift set and the Barbie doll came complete with Ken's house, Ken's car and all Ken's money.

Now it appears that these estranged plastic partners have settled their differences and are, once again, all loved-up.

http://shop.mattel.com...

Of course, this is all just clever marketing on the part of their manufacturer, Mattel, who are cynically attempting to drum up extra sales and are, in the process, reinforcing the stereotypical notions of heterosexual romance that little girls are expected to conform to as they grow up. In so doing, Mattel is ignoring the fact that many females develop lesbian tendencies through puberty and beyond.

That's why I propose that Mattel should release a Barbie and Kim gift set and modify their website to include a page similar to this:

http://www.debate.org...

This way, the indoctrination of young girls with stereotypical sexual preferences will begin to be broken down so that, by time a girl becomes an adult, should she develop any physical attraction to another woman, she won't feel that she needs to be ashamed about it, or to hide any same-sex affair, but rather be open about her sexual plurality enough to invite her boyfriend to join her and her gorgeous, bi-sexual girlfriend in a steamy, three-in-the-bed sex romp.

Yes please…I mean, thank you.
OMGJustinBieber

Con

An entertaining debate topic.

Let's first look at Barbie. Barbie has a long history with Ken, and there is nothing in this heterosexual relationship that is inherently hetero-sexist. Pro suggests that the relationship is wrong, and that Barbie's sexual preferences should be opened up a little. This argument is not about homosexuality. The character of Barbie has been heterosexual since 1961, and the introduction of a lesbian partner for Barbie is nothing short of political pandering as it will have no effect on how lesbian relationships are viewed.

Moreover, one can believe there is nothing wrong with homosexuality while not supporting a change in Barbie's lifestyle. There are gay dolls, and one even came out in 2002 named "Andy Mills" [1]. If a toy is gay or straight, it should generally be considered that from the outset. Many in the homosexual and heterosexual community would be offended by the notion that sexuality can change on a whim, and that is exactly what the company would be doing. There would be an enormous uproar in the gay community, and rightfully so, if Andy Mills dropped his flamboyant attire and found a girlfriend. Regardless, most kids don't know about homosexuality or even what it means to be heterosexual when they're 4 or 5 and playing with dolls, so it is unlikely that they could even recognize Andy Mills as a homosexual.

Lastly, I believe Pro is implying that there is something wrong with the Barbie-Ken relationship that needs change. I would like to question this assumption a little further, since I believe simply the absence of a homosexual relationship does not imply homophobia whatsoever. Kids are barely sexual, if at all sexual, when playing with Barbies. The reality is that people have a variety of sexual tastes. What's next, Barbie's transsexual lover "Ty?" Let kids be kids. Don't make Barbie into a political figure by changing her sexuality after 50 years with Ken. It would be perfectly acceptable to create a new gay (or bi) doll, as has been done, but don't break up a long-lasting relationship between two plastic lovers.

[1] http://www.queerty.com...
brian_eggleston

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and for pointing out that "Barbie has been heterosexual since 1961."

Well, that may or may not be so. The 1960's were less enlightened times and Barbie may have felt obliged to supress her lesbian tendencies in or order to conform to the conservative views on sexuality that were prevalent at the time.

These days, however, high-profile female celebrities such as Paris Hilton, Sarah Bulloch, Scarlet Johannson, Britney Spears, Madonna, Christina Aguilera, Miley Cyrus, Sarah Silverman, Jessica Biel and Angelina Jolie queue up to be photographed snogging other women.

http://www.ranker.com...

Therefore, it would be natural for a high-profile female doll, such as Barbie, not only to be open about her lesbian tendencies, but to flaunt her bi-sexuality by arranging to be photographed with Cindy, nude, prhaps having her back doors smashed in with the end of a crayon.

Moving on, it's news to me, as I am sure it will be to most people, that there is a supposedly male homosexual doll called Andy Mills. Check the photograph of him – does he look like Justin Bieber wearing a suit to you? Or is that just me? Anyway, Justin Bieber isn't gay and there's nothing about the Andy Mills doll that is gay: he doesn't have a moustache and he's not wearing a leather cap or anything like that so he can't be gay.

Nevertheless, I'd wager that Action Man takes every opportunity he gets to kick Andy Mills' immaculately-coiffured head in. By the way, I couldn't help noticing that the Andy Mills doll retails at $179.00! Not $1.79, or even $17.99, no $179.00 - one hundred and seventy nine dollars – for a bit of plastic and a few fragments of cloth! Jesus Christ on a fvcking bike! The words "fools"; "money"; "soon" and "parted" come to mind!

Back on topic, since only girls play with dolls, there's no need for a male homosexual doll, which is why nobody's ever heard of the Andy Mills doll.

Now, I am not suggesting that little girls who play with dolls are conscious of the sexual implications of their heterosexual Barbie and Ken roleplaying. Typically, four year old girls in school playgrounds are not overhead saying things like: "Ooh, have you seen that video by Rick Astley? He's so hot. I tell you, by the end of the song I was practically frothing at the gash."

However, because little girls are bombarded with heterosexual role models through fairy stories, children's TV programmes and toys such as Barbie and Ken, it would be reasonable to implant the idea in their minds that it doesn't always have to be ‘boyfriend and girlfriend', sometimes it can be ‘girlfriend and girlfriend' (or even ‘girlfriend and girlfriend her boyfriend') by producing a Barbie and Kim gift set alongside the existing Barbie and Ken gift set.

OMGJustinBieber

Con

My opponent makes a number of interesting points using a wit that I can not hope to match.

Would it be the end of the world if Mattel introduced a lesbian partner for Barbie? Of course not. I'm simply arguing that it's improper and somewhat ridiculous after 50 years with Ken. The burden of proof is on Pro to say why, and he essentially responds that there is no harm to exposing children to a lesbian partner of Barbie and can help break down hetero-normative assumptions.

Fair enough, but Pro has already conceded that little children who play with dolls hardly make judgments about sexuality. So who is benefitting? Most likely, it would be gay rights activists who are jumping at any opportunity to promote the legitimacy of homosexual relationships. On the other hand, it would offend a certain amount of pro-family rights organizations and Barbie fans who view it rightfully as political pandering. It's hardly homophobic to consider the prospect of Barbie cheating on her 50 year partner bad.

This is actually an important point that I'm surprised I didn't think of earlier. While there is widespread tolerance of homosexual relationships, cheating - regardless of sex, is generally looked down upon. Especially after 50 years together, the idea of Barbie cheating with anybody is not something that should be taken kindly to. If we want our dolls to present good, moral guidelines to children this is something we should reject.

Lastly, I would like to reiterate the notion that it's not entirely clear what Barbie's gay lover would be. Pro seems to imply that it would be experimental in the tradition of Britney and Madonna, and this is probably not the image that serious gay rights movements even want to promote. I personally have nothing against lesbians "experimenting" but remember that Mattel is a company that's target audience is families with children. Would it be totally awesome if Barbie had an drug-fueled orgy with Ken and 2 cheerleaders? Of course. Would it really be a smart move for Mattel to create a doll that would both serve as Barbie's lesbian experiment and cheat on her 50 year partner? I would say no. Once we remove our own attitudes about how freakin' awesome lesbian sex is and look at it from the perspective of Mattel and society, the view becomes clear that this coupling is not desirable.
Posted by XimenBao 6 years ago
XimenBao
Hah. You had me. I thought you were serious until the end.
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 6 years ago
joshuaXlawyer
how about no lol
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 6 years ago
quarterexchange
brian_egglestonOMGJustinBieberTied
Reasons for voting decision: the vote bomb was eliminated so my counter is removed
Vote Placed by Yorble 6 years ago
Yorble
brian_egglestonOMGJustinBieberTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con lost me on the second round.
Vote Placed by Raisor 6 years ago
Raisor
brian_egglestonOMGJustinBieberTied
Reasons for voting decision: Biebs lost me in the final round.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
brian_egglestonOMGJustinBieberTied
Reasons for voting decision: "Therefore, it would be natural for a high-profile female doll, such as Barbie, not only to be open about her lesbian tendencies, but to flaunt her bi-sexuality by arranging to be photographed with Cindy, nude, prhaps having her back doors smashed in with the end of a crayon." - how is this doll not made. 1 pt to Brian, amusing as always. Valiant effort by the Bieber.