brian_eggleston
askbob

It's time to crackdown on misleading theme park advertisements

brian_eggleston

Pro

"Come and visit {insert name of theme park here}" they say "there's fun for all the family".

Is there? Is there really? Well yes, there are rides and parades and shows and stuff for the kids, I've seen those. And true, there are shops and tearooms and flower gardens and stuff for the mums and aunties, fair enough, I've seen those as well. But that's not "all the family" is it? What about the dads and uncles, eh? Aren't they part of the family? Of course they are! But have the theme parks laid something on for them as well? No they flipping well haven't.

Honestly, it's true. They've got sod all for the average bloke in those places. I went to one and asked a member of staff where the pub was but he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. In fact, it was only after I had searched the whole park that I discovered that there was…NO PUB! Not one. Not a single pub. Not even one WTHOUT strippers on! Well, as you can imagine, I felt distinctly short-changed (and very sober as well).

Ladies and gentlemen, these theme parks advertise attractions for all the family and that's simply not the case. It's false advertising and it's time the authorities cracked down on it – and cracked down on it HARD.

askbob

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for such an elegant debate.

Now my opponent seems upset about a recent experience he has had at a local theme park. Apparently the theme park lacked alcohol.

My opponent's main premise is that theme park's give misleading advertisements when they say "fun for all the family" because they do not provide beer and strippers that perhaps provide "fun" for the men.

It is unfortunate to see that my opponent does not comprehend fully what a typical family is.

As my opponent fails to understand, a woman is the definition of a family. For an advertisement to be not considered false, it must be mostly true.

As is obvious, women are the typical family.

Example: http://answers.yahoo.com...
http://news.bbc.co.uk...

A study, which was just released, finds that wives have more power than their husbands in making decisions and dominating discussions.

"The study at least suggests that the marriage is a place where women can exert some power," said lead author David Vogel, a psychologist at Iowa State University (ISU). "Whether or not it's because of changing societal roles, we don't know."

http://newsmine.org...

Wife power could signal a harmonious couple. "There's been research that suggests that's a marker of a healthy marriage—that men accept influence from their wives," Murphy said.

The study, published in the April issue of the Journal of Counseling Psychology, was funded by the National Institute of Mental Health along with ISU.

http://query.nytimes.com...

As should be obvious Women obviously dominate all aspects of a family and thus are the decision makers.

While my opponent may have the false notion that he chose to go to the said theme park, it was really his wife's choice. Therefore these advertisements are not misleading to the real decision makers, women.

I'd like to thank my opponent for this debate and look forward to his next argument.
brian_eggleston

Pro

Many thanks to my opponent for taking up this debate - I must admit, I hadn't expected this novel, if perilous, line of defence!

You see, my opponent's argument rests on his assertion that the woman of the house is the dominant member of the family. Sadly, this treacherous fallacy is gaining common currency because hard-line feminist extremists are exploiting the type of weak-minded husbands my opponent referred to in his response and, with all due respect, I should like to say the following to him: to perpetuate this myth is a damnable outrage, sir!

Certainly, it would be foolish to allow ourselves be deceived as to the true nature of the radical feminist agenda. To quote writer Jilly Cooper:

"The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness...can be trained to do most things."

http://www.ureader.de...

The truth is that leading women's rights campaigners are hell-bent on the destruction of the family. On page 67 of her book Women and the New Rage, Margaret Sanger wrote:

"The most merciful thing a large family can do to one of its infant members is to kill it."

No, it's time reject the misguided principles of radical feminism and reclaim holiday activities for the people that usually pay for them, that is to say: the man of the house. Yes, we should fight for our right to live in a world free from anti-men theme park propaganda.

After all, theme parks evolved from the medieval funfairs and carnivals of Europe – events that have hundreds of years of pedigree and tradition, none of which would have been complete without the drunken debauchery that kept the men amused while the womenfolk took the children to the merry-go-round, coconut shy and donkey derby. In the good old days, the missus would be waiting for the little ones at the bottom of the helter-skelter while dad would be in the beer tent cheering on the strippers. Now that's what I call a great day out for all the family.

http://www.nfa.dept.shef.ac.uk...

The tame, sanitised, wholesome attractions offered by contemporary theme parks are all very well and good for the wife and kids, but dads and uncles deserve a fair crack of the whip as well, and theme parks that discriminate against blokes but don't disclose that fact in their advertising material should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

askbob

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for his excellent response, and thank him for his complements. This has been a hilarious subject to debate and I hope the readers are satisfied in reading it.

My opponent has essentially conceded this debate by offering no rebuttal to my main point by either logic or factual evidence (short of personal objections). Furthermore many of his sources actually support my main point that females dominate the decision making process of the family.

As I have stated these advertisements are not false in anyway for the current situation. That situation being that women as of today have more say than men in the decision making process of the family. Essentially women are the family. Since women make the decisions (or have the most say in making them), it is not at all inaccurate to advertise saying it is fun for all the family.

This is similar as to many other advertisements. They pick a target audience (generally the one that makes the decisions) and advertises. When a family decision is made, advertisers seek to gain the approval of the woman.
http://findarticles.com...

As is shown in this article it is proven that women make more of the decisions. Who then should advertisers target? Certainly not men.

This fact should become obvious to everyone including my opponent when this fact is released.

Women now have more control over the REMOTE CONTROL (meant to be underlined) than do men. Yes, I said it. Women now have more control over what is watched on tv. http://foodconsumer.org...

Working women are also weighing in with theme-park owners. They have their own money to spend, and like to spend it having fun. "That translates into increased buying power and leisure time, and spending more on leisure," says NormaLynn Cutler, president of Cutler Enterprises of Santa Monica, California, which designs marketing and advertising for parks. "Women are less likely to go with the flow. Instead they strike out on their own to choose the park the family attends."
Women typically take the lead in planning family leisure travel.
http://findarticles.com...

As should be obvious women to all voters women make the decisions and therefore theme parks and ads are catered the needs of and desires of women. Because women are the dominant members of a family, women essentially are the family.

Furthermore "fun for the whole family" is an opinionated statement. It obviously is not misleading because family's frequent amusement parks to be amused. If the statement was false then the amusement parks in question woudl shut down due to lack of participation and the ads would be removed.

I'd like to thank my opponent for this excellent debate and I will enforce my TOS as explained in the Debate.org Forum under the thread "New TOS"
Posted by Dumbchic 6 years ago
Dumbchic
I liked the other guy's argument better.
Posted by askbob 8 years ago
askbob
Tally:

Con = 5 points by the users: PoeJoe (2) and KRFournier (3)
Pro = 2 points by the users: PoeJoe (1) and KRFournier (1)

Note: KRFournier, I did not include your point awarded for grammar because you did not provide valid reasoning for that point. If you post another comment explaining why grammar was awarded to Pro I will gladly include your point. I do not disagree with your opinions however due to my TOS i must request a reason for this measure. Also I allowed your conduct point because you implied the debate was funny and awarded conduct points to Pro for making it so. This is completely valid reasoning.

I only desire explanation for the spelling and grammar vote.

Thank You
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
Conduct - PRO - Two reasons. First, PRO had a sense of humor. Second, CON introduced new arguments in his closing argument.

English - TIE - No major errors on both sides.

Argument - TIE - I am torn because I should ignore the new arguments introduced in CON's closing statement. Had the debate ended at 1 1/2 rounds, I probably would have done a tie. And so I compromise...

Sources - CON - ...I give CON the sources vote as a less-valuable version of the argument vote. As for my real opinion on the mater of sources, I believe it is a tie.

That makes: PRO+1 and CON+2
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
Another fun-to-read debate. I gave most convincing argument to Con, since his argument was not really refuted. I awarded conduct and grammar to Pro. Sources seemed to be a tie to me.

Disneyland + Alcohol = Fun for the whole family until dad gets arrested for dry humping Minnie.
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
Oh man. After CON's R1, I'm just anxious for PRO's rebuttal.
Posted by askbob 8 years ago
askbob
slayer = fail
Posted by slayer54321 8 years ago
slayer54321
That's terrible, truly terrible
How will we live without amusement parks with fun for the WHOLE family??? (sarcasm, plus you're not funny and maybe you just need to find other ways of having fun besides pubs)
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
Oh yeah, and Sea-World is owned by Anheuser Busch. You can get alchohol there (even free samples, I think).
Posted by Harlan 8 years ago
Harlan
You're debates are hillarious to read, but I would never accept one because the only to refute it usually is to ruin the joke, by analyzing the resolution seriously.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
brian_egglestonaskbobTied
Vote Placed by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
brian_egglestonaskbobTied
Vote Placed by askbob 6 years ago
askbob
brian_egglestonaskbobTied
Vote Placed by DiablosChaosBroker 8 years ago
DiablosChaosBroker
brian_egglestonaskbobTied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 8 years ago
Labrat228
brian_egglestonaskbobTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
brian_egglestonaskbobTied
Vote Placed by Xera 8 years ago
Xera
brian_egglestonaskbobTied
Vote Placed by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
brian_egglestonaskbobTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
brian_egglestonaskbobTied