brian_eggleston
scissorhands7

It's time to rid Dorset's hillsides of gay porn.

brian_eggleston

Pro

Every time I travel through the village of Cerne Abbas in Dorset, England, I am sickened to the pit of my stomach by the sight of an 180ft figure of a sexually aroused man, which has been cut into a nearby hillside and which dominates the landscape for miles around.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...

If the figure were that of a buxom teen lovely fiddling with herself, no doubt the PC brigade would have had the giant image ploughed over years ago, but because it's a gay icon, it receives the full protection of the law.

It's time for decent, hardworking heterosexual men to assert our right to live in an environment free from giant gay chalk porn engravings and to that end I urge you to vote Pro.

scissorhands7

Con

I would like to thank my opponent (for lack of better words) unique debate subject.

1. I negate that anywhere (in the only factual piece of information posted by my opponent) in the article does it mention about the carving being that of a "gay icon"

2. Also the same piece of information posted by my opponent states this:

"He has brought notoriety and tourism to the village of Cerne Abbas; people have travelled from all over the world to see the figure, which is also known as 'The Rude Man'."

Furthermore it goes on to state:
"This is a common Celtic symbol and could date the Giant as far back as 180AD."

My point being that obviously the said carving brings much tourism to what would otherwise be an overlooked village. Additionally the carving is an ancient celtic symbol which preserves the celtic culture. It dates back almost as far as the death of Jesus.

In fact, the statue has also spurred much public debate as to its origin.

Therefore I negate that the statue has anything to do with homosexuality and will continue hold that position until my opponent shows more factual evidence supporting his position.

Additionally I affirm that the statue has much cultural and historical value and should be preserved if only for these prominent values.

I would like to thank my opponent and look forward to his rebuttal.
brian_eggleston

Pro

With thanks to my opponent for taking up this debate, I will admit that my link didn't specifically state that the Cerne Giant is a gay icon. However, the BBC is a highly respectable broadcaster and their website is very popular with timid old ladies who probably have no idea that there is any such thing as "gays" and would be deeply shocked and offended if they learned that some men would actually prefer to suck some filthy, *****-encrusted **** rather than a nice pair of juicy ****, otherwise I'm sure they would have mentioned it.

My opponent then goes on to say that the Cerne Giant "brings much tourism to what would otherwise be an overlooked village". Maybe the villagers want to be overlooked? Maybe they don't want a load of tourists in their Fiat 500's and Jeep Wranglers taking up their parking spaces? Maybe they don't want to have to wait to be served in the village pub while a couple of effeminate men deliberate over whether to have the mushroom quiche or the crayfish salad for lunch?

Yes, the carving may be of Celtic origin, I don't doubt it for a moment. But so what? The Celts also used to sacrifice virgins but we don't continue that practice for the sake of tradition.

Then my opponent wrote: "I negate that the statue has anything to do with homosexuality…"

What? When a heterosexual bloke go walks into a shop in order to buy a DVD and he sees one with a picture of a man with a massive great erection on the front cover, he doesn't think: "Oh, I expect that's a film about ancient fertility symbols…" No, he thinks: "That's gay porn, it's time to move on very quickly now…"

Finally my opponent suggested that the Cerne Giant should be preserved for cultural and historical reasons. That's all very well and good for him – he lives in Pennsylvania. As far as I know, there are no massive gay porn carvings in that particular state. If there were, and had to take long detours in order to avoid 30 ft long penises, he might think differently!
scissorhands7

Con

I thank my opponent for his rebuttal.

1. My opponent conceded that in no factual evidence he has given that the historical carving of a naked male giant was in any meant to be a "gay" symbol. I won't comment on his other remarks regarding this.

2. I cannot give my opinions to a village to that of which I don't belong, but usually (at least for many business owners) tourism is a very positive feature that allows local businesses to thrive. So the inhabitants may not enjoy the extra wait time for their meal, I can assure you that if the tourism were to vanish, so might many of the local pubs and diners.

3. Stonehenge is a symbol of Celtic origin however I doubt you will find many people advocating knocking it down. Simply because it is blocking traffic and because people don't enjoy the site of it.

4. There is a large difference between the image of a naked man on a DVD and one of an ancient carved giant which dates back to times shortly after the Death of Christ.

Destroying an ancient statue simply because it depicts a male sexual assemblage would be the same as destroying many other statues of great historical and cultural values that depict male sexual organs such as:
http://gallery.nen.gov.uk...
http://www.berkshiremuseum.org...
http://imagecache2.allposters.com...

So far in the debate:

1. I have successfully negated my opponent's views that the picture of "rude man" is a gay icon.
2. I have successfully shown the carvings historical and cultural value
3. I have successfully shown the impact the carving has on local businesses

Since no clear proposition was stated I can only assume that I have successfully negated my opponents implied proposition.
Posted by vilverinelink 1 year ago
vilverinelink
Mr V of the million masks is exactly right and I completely agree with him art is something to be preserved no matter what it is its part of what makes us human and for anyone to want to remove it is simply engourgable whether it be because of their own insecurities or because of their phobias whatever the reason might be I'm standing on the side of human history I'm standing on the side of justice I'm standing with my mask held high
Posted by Zerosmelt 8 years ago
Zerosmelt
-Cleaner-
r1-Pro. The figure of a sexually aroused man is in Cerne Abbas. If it were female it would be removed. Therefore it is biased not to remove the figure. Therefore it should be removed.
Fails to address 1. How exactly this is gay and therefore how it is biased. 2. Why a similar female statue should be removed in the first place. An IS does not make an OUGHT. If your conclusion is that this figure *should* be removed your arguments rests upon the justification that a similar female statue *should* be removed.
r1-Con presents many good arguments why the statue should not be removed.
r2-Pro successfully refutes only one of Con's points.
r2-Con addresses all contentions.

Conduct -> Tie (Pro +1 for humor, Con +1 for etiquette)
Spll/Grm -> Tie
Arguments -> Con
Sources -> Con
Posted by joshandr30 8 years ago
joshandr30
LM!!!!! Are you calling brian a TROLL????????? Because I believe he is winning as we speak.
Posted by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
I'd say
Conduct: Pro: Both sides were fine as far as courtesy goes, but I enjoyed brian's comedic style, and I suppose this is the spot to reward it.
S/G: Con: Less mistakes as far as grammar goes.
Convincing: Con: Was able to effectively refute all points, leaving really no reason to support pro. Best Point was the contention that other famous works would need to be censored if we accepted pro.
Reliable Sources: Con: Better usage of examples in other situations where there are naked men in art.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
Wow. Is it just me, or did some people who voted in favor of the contender change votes. As much as it pains me to say this, it looks like the trolls win. :(
Posted by joshandr30 8 years ago
joshandr30
Do you really take yourself that seriously LM. CWO. *v
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
CLEANERS VOTER REPORTING FOR DUTY!

Conduct: This goes back to my first round policy which I've talked about in other debates. Not having much fof an argument in the first round is bad conduct to me. This goes to CON.

Spelling and Grammar: I see some misuse of the question mark by PRO in the second round. Accidental or not, it is still bad grammar. This vote goes to CON.

Convincing: Regardless of PRO's comedy routine, CON won the actual debate fair and square.

This point caught my eye the most:
"1. My opponent conceded that in no factual evidence he has given that the historical carving of a naked male giant was in any meant to be a "gay" symbol. I won't comment on his other remarks regarding this." as proving whether or not it was a gay symbol is a means of affirming/negating the resolution. CON wins this vote.

Reliable sources: CON made great use of sources in R2 when it came to tearing down the argument that statues should be destroyed because they depict mail genitals.

Yours truly,

The coach potato of the cleaners.
Posted by scissorhands7 8 years ago
scissorhands7
While I dont doubt that Brian is funny (actually i think he's hilarious), however it'd be nice if people would actually vote based on who debated the subject the best.
Posted by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
Scissorhands,
unfortunately for you, people vote for reasons other than who conducted the better debate or who is even right.
I am currently suffering the same thing (I believe) on a couple of my recent debates.
Brian is (im)famous for being able to win debates he shouldn't.
Posted by scissorhands7 8 years ago
scissorhands7
I still have no clue how I'm losing this debate.
Vote Placed by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
brian_egglestonscissorhands7Tied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
brian_egglestonscissorhands7Tied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
brian_egglestonscissorhands7Tied
Vote Placed by Zerosmelt 8 years ago
Zerosmelt
brian_egglestonscissorhands7Tied
Vote Placed by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
brian_egglestonscissorhands7Tied
Vote Placed by valexin 8 years ago
valexin
brian_egglestonscissorhands7Tied
Vote Placed by Sweatingjojo 8 years ago
Sweatingjojo
brian_egglestonscissorhands7Tied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
brian_egglestonscissorhands7Tied
Vote Placed by jesus_lovesu 8 years ago
jesus_lovesu
brian_egglestonscissorhands7Tied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 8 years ago
Labrat228
brian_egglestonscissorhands7Tied