Orose_Khan
masterdrave

J. R. R Tolkien is a better writer than J. K Rowling.

Orose_Khan

Pro

J R R Tolkien is a better writer than J K Rowling.

Hi folks, I will be arguing that Tolkien is a better writer than Rowling.
Side note: This is my first debate on this site but it is not my first debate.

No rebuttals will be made in the first and second round.

The first round will be for the purpose of accepting the challenge

In the second round, you will list your substantives and elaborate on your 1st one. You may divide your other substantives among your 2 subsequent rounds.

Sources should be cited

Wikipedia is considered a reliable source

On to the actual debate.

Good luck mate.
masterdrave

Con

I'm BAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.
Orose_Khan

Pro

Ok, assuming you're actually going to debate, let's get this "party' started.

My substantives are:
1) Tolkien did not intend for his work to be a commercial success.
2) Tolkien was more creative.
3) Tolkien had a bigger impact on fantasy.

My first point, "Tolkien did not intend for his work to be a commercial success" is a critical argument of mine.

Some background info:
Tolkien was a university professor who wanted to be recognised for his academic work. The commercial success of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books caught him mostly unawares and he regarded many of his fans with distaste. (http://mentalfloss.com...)

My argument:
The fact that Tolkien had such a large impact on the Fantasy Genre without even trying is testament to his writing ability. I assume that since Rowling was in dire straits when she got Harry Potter started, she therefore intended for it to be a commercial success. Yes, I do not deny that she achieved her goal there. However, Tolkien did it all without trying. Had he put in more effort into his work, I do believe that he would be an even more prolific writer and more famous than he is now.

His books are currently rated as the top 2 of all-time best-sellers (https://en.wikipedia.org...). And he is still being published (The Silmarillion and other works were published posthumously). He is also regarded by many to be the "Father of Fantasy".

If you find my argument lacking, let me put it this way: If you were to do a piece of homework without putting much effort in it, you would probably get a lower grade than if you had tried your hardest.

Therefore, the fact that Tolkien left such a lasting impact on the Fantasy genre without the intention of doing so does much to display his brilliance and I am proud to uphold his legacy.
masterdrave

Con

masterdrave forfeited this round.
Orose_Khan

Pro

Orose_Khan forfeited this round.
masterdrave

Con

masterdrave forfeited this round.
Orose_Khan

Pro

Orose_Khan forfeited this round.
masterdrave

Con

Posing the statement as "Tolkien is a better writer" is a poor choice of words. This suggests that we are looking solely at each author's prose, but reading your argument I can see that is not the case. What I think you mean is that "Tolkien is a better creator." This would make more sense.

That being said, here we go...

My substantives are:
1) Rowling has done other novels, not just the Harry Potter series. I know Tolkien did novels other than the LOTR series but they were still officially in the same universe. Rowling is more versatile.
2) Harry Potter sold more. i.e Audience respect.
3) You say Tolkien had a bigger impact on fantasy, but Rowling had a bigger impact on literature.

What their intentions for profit were or weren't doesn't matter. This has nothing to do with being a better "writer". Writers write, who cares what they're after. We're talking about their product after all.

Saying that Tolkien didn't "try" is completely moronic. What do you think a writer's job is?

You fool.

You coward.

You pathetic fuckboy cunt-crunching brainless ape.

I will arse rape you.

Kill yourself.

I win.