AbirHBK
Kc716

Jack Nicholson is the best actor of all time

Kc716

AbirHBK

Pro

The first round will just be to accept the debate and be against(Con) of the fact that Jack Nicholson is the best actor of all time.
Do you accept?
Kc716

Con

I'm gonna let you finish, but Jack Nicholson is not the best actor of all time.
AbirHBK

Pro

I'll tell u why Nicholson is the best actor of all time:
1. He is a versatile actor and has done comedy,serious,psychotic and mind blowing horror and thriller roles (The Shining and One flew over the cuckoos nest)
2. He has voted no.1 by imdb, Rotten tomatoes and actors like Johnny Depp and Harrison Ford who themselves are great actors of all time.
3. The Academy Award Association(AAA) did a survey of seeing who is the best actor of all time. They took 3 years to complete this. First they said that Humphrey Bogart( actor Casablanca) is the greatest actor of all time but then they chose the greatest actor of all time Jack Nicholson as it.
4. He is tied for receiving 3 academy awards with 12 nominations(All time record), BAFTA awards-4(2nd all time record,BAFTA nominations-8(Tied for third all time record), Golden globe-6(All time record, 2nd position 3 awards) and the Golden globe nominations-17(. 2nd all time record).

And if you disagree tell me that in your opinion who is the best actor of all time and don't say that there have been many actors and it is difficult to choose one cause if the AAA can choose it then why can't you?
-Abir Bliss
Kc716

Con

1. Jack Nicholson is a very versatile actor, however that does not make him the greatest actor.
2. I have not seen anything related to imdb and rotten tomatoes which determines that he is the consensus for greatest actor. I have only seen fan based lists which have him ranked as such. I have not seen any comments made by Harrison Ford or Johnny Depp so citations please.
3. The Academy Award Association is not a real thing. It does not exist. Please include a link to this survey.
4. Once again, some of these numbers are not correct please cite.

Now that that is out of the way.

The greatest Actor of all time is Meryl Streep. If you are only considering male actors then it is Daniel Day Lewis.

Here are Meryl Streep's accolades

1. She has received 17 Oscar Nominations, 5 more than Nicholson. (Cite: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...)
3 Oscar Wins, same as Nicholson (http://en.wikipedia.org...)
2 Bafta Award wins, 14 nominations (Id.) Less wins, but more nominations than Nicholson.
2 Emmy Awards, 3 Nominations (Id.) More than Nicholson
8 Golden Globe Wins, 27 Nominations, > than Nicholson
5 Grammy Award Nominations > than Nicholson
2 Screen Actor Guild Awards, 13 Nominations, >than Nicholson
1 Tony Award Nomination. > than Nicholson.
She has been in character pieces and comedies and has won awards for her portrayals in both.
Nicholson cannot stack up to Streep in awards.
Daniel Day Lewis
Daniel Day Lewis' credentials are also extremely good, he has won 3 best actor academy awards. The first male ever
Jack Nicholson has been in 65 movies. http://en.wikipedia.org... and has won 3 Oscars and has been nominated 12 times.
Daniel Day Lewis has been in 19 movies has won 3 Oscars and has been nom. 5 times. wiki. Based on this knowledge. Lewis has won an Oscar 15% of his Roles. Nicholson has 5% wins.
AbirHBK

Pro

The first thing is that I was talking about actors. Second, that awards don't make a great actor their skills and role-difficulty do and Daniel Day-Lewis has won only 3 Oscars and has got 5 nominations. that on imdb and on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org...)
Also, Johnny Depp on Jack Nicholson-" He(Jack Nicholson) can not be compared with me as I am nowhere as good an actor as him."
Harrison Ford-" Jack Torrance( Jack Nicholson's name in The shining ) is the greatest actor ever!
There is a thing as the AAA and if you don't know about it how can you say it doesn't exist
Now I hope everyone is convinced that Jack Nicholson is the greatest actor on Earth due to his Versatility, Role difficulty and his skills and fan following. The things you wrote were a total waste.
I rest my case and hopefully you all vote for me.
Thank you all.
Kc716

Con

Dear potential voter,
I know what your thinking. What kind of person debates a topic that clearly is personal opinion. I agree. However, with a devil may care grin, I am ready to eviscerate opponents closing, like a slap chop.
Slap 1: Opponent says "that awards don't make a great actor[,] their skills and role difficulties do." Ok, but if that's how you feel, why did a majority of your argument consist of a list of awards Nicholson has won? Can we discard that information?
Slap 2: I asked for citations of opponents argument that he was basing off of quotes and other people. None were supplied, instead he placed quotation marks around what he was saying. Neither quote as provided exists.
Slap 3: There IS a thing called AAA, however, it is the American Automobile Association. There is also an Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, however, it was not referenced by opponent.
Final Slap: I am going to be quite frank here. Opponent is disrespecting me and this website and any person who has the unfortunate luck to read our writings. If opponent wanted to discuss why he personally felt that Nicholson was the best, that would be great. However, he didn't. Plagiarism is lazy and rampant on the internet and he is continuing that scary trend.
Now onto my closing: Lewis has had more difficult and more varied roles than Nicholson; therefore he has greater skills than Nicholson and is a better actor.
Lewis has played: Abraham Lincoln, one of histories most famous presidents; A gay man in an interracial relationship; A gentleman with cerebral palsy who could only use his left foot; a white adopted Indian during the French Indian War; a wrongfully convicted IRA prisoner; the lead in the film adaptation of the age of innocence; A gang leader in 1800's NYC; and finally, an Oil tycoon in the 1920's. This work is more difficult and varied than Nicholson and based on opponents logic, this makes Lewis a better actor.
Vote 4 me, because I actually made an effort.
Posted by kmcbrair 3 years ago
kmcbrair
He is undoubtedly a very good actor, but Oscars, etc. all amount to a popularity contest. (When is the last time John Q. Citizen cast an Oscar vote? What?! Never?!) Mentioned here is Daniel Day Lewis, who has done an incredible range of roles, and IMHO, roles that Jack Nicholson could not have done. Can you see Jack Nicholson as Christy Brown? Or the prissy, tightly-wound Cecil Vyse? LOL! How about Ben Kingsley? From the a picture-perfect Ghandi to a nerve-wracking psychotic Don Logan in Sexy Beast, aces all around, but they were roles well-served by Nicholson's absence. Love Jack Nicholson, but greatest actor? Not even close.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
@Oromagi: I suggest refining your RFD. Perhaps post the current one here, as it is a funny joke. The problem with it as an actual vote, is con did not cite the brilliance that is Chuck Norris, he used Meryl Streep whose beard is far inferior; he then used Meryl Streep's mustache (Daniel Day Lewis).
Posted by MilkyChocolate 3 years ago
MilkyChocolate
Awards don't make a good actor; his skills do. Look at Ryan Gosling or DiCaprio. Sure, Nicholson may be quite good, but there's even better ones who don't get the credit they deserve.
Vote Placed by rajun 3 years ago
rajun
AbirHBKKc716Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con has done it here as pro fails to impress me on the fact that nicholas is the best one out their...
Vote Placed by Oromagi 3 years ago
Oromagi
AbirHBKKc716Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Subjective arguments are silly and Chuck Norris was clearly the finest actor of all time. Pro sets up a loss by making a highly subjective and narrow claim. Con only needed to show that another actor might qualify for best, Meryl Streep, for instance to win and did so admirably. Debate to con
Vote Placed by MrJosh 3 years ago
MrJosh
AbirHBKKc716Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct because of the slapping; arguments because CON gave reasoning behind his arguments; sources because they were given.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
AbirHBKKc716Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: I admit this is a pity point, since con was clearly evil. Insisting on slapping his opponent after the opponent could no longer respond. ARGUMENT: As con pointed out, pro tried one tactic, then dismissed the evidence provided by it when such was used to support any other actor. Con played pro's games, and provided not one, but two actors who were objectively better by the standards of this debate. SOURCES: Con made his argument easy to follow, by giving proper evidence with his information (links). Pro barely made a wiki of an attempt to follow suit.