GarretKadeDupre
ValentineLocke

Jack Sparrow is more evil than Davy Jones in Pirates of the Carribean

GarretKadeDupre

GarretKadeDupre

Pro

Opening arguments will be posted in the 2nd round; this round is for acceptance.
ValentineLocke

Con

Let the games begin, my friend!
GarretKadeDupre

Pro

Jack Sparrow lies constantly, is blatantly dishonest in business deals, and abandons his friends on multiple occasions. Davy Jones is honest and treats his crew members fairly.

Jack Sparrow has no problem condemning his innocent friend to a lifetime of slavery:

Davy Jones: "I wonder, Sparrow, can you live with this? Can you condemn an innocent man - a friend-uh - to a lifetime of servitude, in your name while you roam free?"
Jack Sparrow: "Yep! I'm good with it." (1)

Shortly afterward, in the same movie, Sparrow deceives 4 other men in a business deal in Tortuga. He convinces them to join his crew, holding back the fact that he is going to hand them over to Davy Jones to be enslaved for 100 years.

When the Kraken attacks the Black Pearl for the first time, Sparrow abandons his entire crew by taking the single remaining longboat and heading for land. (2)

(1) www.imsdb.com/scripts/Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-Dead-Man's-Chest.html
(2) http://pirates.wikia.com...
ValentineLocke

Con

Davy Jones is ruthless, even if he is honest, because he has a system and he feels betrayed and hurt. Davy Jones treats his crew members like regular people, but he forces them to become part of the crew, either that or death.
DAVY JONES: Do you not fear death?
CHAPLAIN: I'll take my chances, Sir.
DAVY JONES: To the depths..
[the chaplain's throat is slit, two crew members throw his body overboard]
Ah, ha-ha-ha...!
[unidentified crewman] Cold blooded - !
DAVY JONES: Life is cruel. Why should the afterlife be any *different*? I offer you a choice. Join my crew, and postpone the judgment. One hundred years before the mast. Will ye serve? (1)
Then it is explained how Tia Dalma had broken his heart, so in turn he would be as ruthless as he could to every ship he came across. (2)

(1) http://www.imsdb.com...'s-Chest.html
(2) http://disney.wikia.com...
GarretKadeDupre

Pro

Davy Jones feels hurt because he is in love with the woman who betrayed him. (1) Jack Sparrow never demonstrated true love, and his relationship with Elizabeth Swann revolved only around lust. He attempted to have sex with her, even though she was engaged to another man, by trying to get her drunk:

[Jack offers Elizabeth a drink from his bottle]
Jack Sparrow: "You know... Lizzy... I *am*... captain of a ship. And *being* captain of a ship, I could in fact perform a... marriage. Right here. Right on this deck. Right... *now*!"

Con incorrectly claims that Davy Jones "forces [people] to become part of [his] crew". He offers them a choice:

Davy Jones: "I offer you a choice. Join my crew, and postpone the judgment. One hundred years before the mast. Will ye serve? (2)
Of their own free will, people choose to serve:

Helmsman: "I - I will, serve." (2)

(1) http://pirates.wikia.com...
(2) [same source as citation #1 in my argument of round 2]
ValentineLocke

Con

The reason I had stated that was because Davy Jones had said, as an excerpt of what GarretKadeDupre wrote, "...and POSTPONE the judgement", meaning either way he will be killed.
Now he may be hurt because he WAS in love with Calypso, but instead of becoming sorry for himself, he took his Kraken and decided to destroy any ship in view, because then he would have more souls to carry with him. Finally, whenever Cutler Beckett had taken his heart, he ordered Jones to attack any pirate ship and bring him the survivors, but instead of doing that, Davy Jones had destroyed the ships to smithereens and left no survivors. He may be sweet on the inside and be hurt, but he let his hurt and anger get the better of him and destroyed any man he came across. He also killed Lord Beckett's, right-hand man, as I would call it, Mercer. He protected Mercer from a cannonball blast after Calypso was released, but then he took Mercer's weakness to his advantage and killed Mercer for the key to the chest.
GarretKadeDupre

Pro

That's not true. If someone chooses to serve Davy Jones, he won't be killed!

"he let his hurt and anger get the better of him and destroyed any man he came across."

Again, not true. He didn't destroy every man he came across!

"He also killed Lord Beckett's, right-hand man, as I would call it, Mercer."

That is a good thing! Mercer is an evil character who once killed a man just because of a message he was bringing to the king. Davy Jones did a good deed by killing Mercer.

I digress. Thanks for this debate, Con, I enjoyed it :)

Vote Pro! Thank you everyone.
ValentineLocke

Con

Well, with the dialogue about Jack trying to marry Elizabeth, she in turn shackled him to the ship, and that is when he understood that his actions were wrong and he faced the Kraken with dignity instead of calling out to his crew. At that point he also went back with the last longboat and rescued the last of his crew.

The point is, either way, that he stilled killed Mercer, whether he was evil or not, instead of releasing him to be captured by the whirlpool, he suffocated him, instead of just taking the key.

I had a magnificent time debating with you, GarretKadeDupre!

Vote for Davy Jones being more evil, or Con! Your choice!
Posted by babyy 4 years ago
babyy
Hello dear, my name is Ester, i came across your profile now.So I decided to stop by an let you know that I really want to have a good friendship with you. Beside i have something special i want to discuses with you, but I find it difficult to express myself here, since it's a public site. I will be very happy, If you can get back to me, through my e-mail iD(esteredmond(at )ymail.c o m)
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 4 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
Oh and like I said previously, we can pretend the 4th movie never existed for the purposes of this debate :)
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 4 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
That's fine with me!
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
I mean, it would be no bigger to just wiki the first one, but it would still be 3 movies worth of bad behavior to 2 lol.
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 4 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
Maikuru, you should really see the 1st one. It's a good movie and it helps the 2nd one make more sense. The 4th movie absolutely sucked because it was a different producer. It was extremely disappointing.

It would actually be alright if you had only seen the first 3... I'm fine with only using information from those 3 movies.
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
Davy Jones wasnt in either the first or the fourth movie though..... he was only in the second and third ones.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Shame. I never saw the 1st or 4th movies. Otherwise, I'd be interested.
Posted by GarretKadeDupre 4 years ago
GarretKadeDupre
The entire series.
Posted by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
Are you only referring to the actions Sparrow takes in two movies Davy Jones was in or throughout the entire series?
Vote Placed by Cobo 4 years ago
Cobo
GarretKadeDupreValentineLockeTied
Reasons for voting decision: While I agree with Con, I had to give points Pro for successfully running a weird case. But I would have liked either side to look not at Jack actions, but why he did these things and the outcomes from the actions.