will1261
EverlastingMoment

James K. Polk is one of the best presidents ever.

EverlastingMoment

will1261

Pro

Find me reasons why James K. Polk is not a good president.
EverlastingMoment

Con

I'm going to start out being very brief.

James K Polk in my mind, was not by any means a 'great' president. His involvement in the Mexican-American war was a bloody one, what he did was presented as very unconstitutional, he had invaded Mexico without any clear reason in order to expand land west. Mexico, who had only received their independence from Spain only some time ago, owned parts of California and New Mexico. The Missouri Compromise had driven Polk's pro-slavery government to expand west below the line, annexing Texas, which had joined as a free state, which Mexico had clearly mentioned earlier to keep their hands off from.

This caused increased levels of tension between the US and Mexico which Polk used for his own advantage of creating a war, he sent Zachary Taylor along with a band of US troops well deep into Mexico's territory in order to provoke a war, which, by the way, had worked perfectly for him, Taylor and his men got ambushed, and Polk got his excuse to run off to congress and prove that Mexico fired the first shot.

How is this in any way a president upholding the constitution? He had used dirty means in order to keep in play with the North, his actions contributed to the eventual invasion of the natives in the North, his invasion of Mexico did not assist the South greatly to stay on par with the Northern states, as only the annexation of Texas brought a change, as there were not many settlers who even moved through the areas at the time. Abraham Lincoln himself criticized Polk's blunt actions and his violation of the constitution. America had only ever battled the Native Americans earlier, and most of the public did not even support before or during, that a war with Mexico should have occurred.

I will leave it to the proposition now to put forward their stance, as I do want to hear your argument during this debate while not putting forward too much early on. Good luck to you.

Sources -Abraham Lincoln's speech regarding the Mexican war -http://www.animatedatlas.com...
will1261

Pro

will1261 forfeited this round.
EverlastingMoment

Con

Since my opponent has not responded and forfeited the round subsequently, I will remain at my current position with my argument until such time as he responds with his.
will1261

Pro

will1261 forfeited this round.
EverlastingMoment

Con

Jesus christ this has taken a long time to fix, and anyways, all points extended. My opponents been offline for a long time and it's pretty likely he isn't coming back.
will1261

Pro

will1261 forfeited this round.
EverlastingMoment

Con

Welp. Extend I guess. meh
Posted by EverlastingMoment 1 year ago
EverlastingMoment
Thank you for the vote, it's really nice having it considering what a brief waste of time this was. >.>
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Looks like you wrote his paper for him.
Posted by fire_wings 1 year ago
fire_wings
@EverlastingMoment, probably, he will not respond to the debate.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
will1261EverlastingMomentTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited multiple rounds in this debate, which is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting. S&G - Tie. Both participants had adequate spelling and grammar. Arguments - Con. Pro failed to present any case affirming the resolution, thus failing to uphold his BOP within this debate. On the flip side, Con presented a case which remained standing unchallenged for the remainder of the debate. For these reasons, Con wins arguments. Sources - Con. Pro failed to utilize sources within this debate, whereas Con did. This is a clear win for Con.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
will1261EverlastingMomentTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con. Con was also the only one who provided an argument, so Con is awarded those points by default.