CX_DX_PFunstuff
InsertNameHere

January PF topic

CX_DX_PFunstuff

Con

First debate on debate.org... hopefully a quick one-- just let me know; i will go con on R: President Obama's plan for increasing troops in Afghanistan is in the United States' best interest... Thanks
InsertNameHere

Pro

I'll like to thank my opponent for allowing me to have this opportunity to try out some Devil's Advocacy. I'll be arguing that sending more troops to Afghanistan IS indeed in America's best interest. This could be argued due to several factors.

First off, America is a country that values rights and freedoms and would like to spread these ideals into other nations that may not be as fortunate. One of these freedoms that exists is the right to vote in a democratic system.

de⋅moc⋅ra⋅cy  /dɪˈmɒkrəsi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [di-mok-ruh-see]
–noun, plural -cies. 1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
2. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies.
(http://dictionary.reference.com...)

These such rights in the United States are laid out in the constitution: http://www.archives.gov...

Such rights are non-existant in nations like Afghanistan which was ruled by the Taliban from 1996 to 2001 before being ousted by American forces. http://www.infoplease.com...
Under their regime a strict interpretation of Shari'a Law was implemented into daily Afghan life. This included treating women as second class citizens and denying them rights such as education, harsh penalties such as stoning for petty crimes, and a non-democratic government. Many desperate Afghans tried to flee as refugees to other countries.

It is also commonly believed that The Taliban may have links to another Islamic Extremist group, Al-Qaeda. This group is considered to be a direct threat to America due to previous actions such as 9/11. Targeting such groups as The Taliban could possibly prevent them from re-gaining power and providing support to Al-Qaeda which in the long run will guarantee the safety of America. This can be done by sending more troops to Afghanistan so Obama's decision will ensure for peace in the future.
CX_DX_PFunstuff

Con

CX_DX_PFunstuff forfeited this round.
InsertNameHere

Pro

No need as my opponent's account is no longer active...
CX_DX_PFunstuff

Con

CX_DX_PFunstuff forfeited this round.
InsertNameHere

Pro

Once again, no need...
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Man, I hate ties when it is obvious that you won.
Posted by InsertNameHere 7 years ago
InsertNameHere
Actually, I think I will take it. Devil's Advocacy might be fun. :P
Posted by InsertNameHere 7 years ago
InsertNameHere
Why is it whenever I see a debate I'm interested in accepting the creator always takes the side I want? Gah.