THE_OPINIONATOR
DirtRoadAnthem

Jeff Gordon will win a fith championship

Started: 3/2/2011 Category: Sports

THE_OPINIONATOR

Pro

I assert that Jeff Gordon will win a fith title before he retires from NASCAR. I ask that if you DO NOT watch NASCAR that you do not take this debate. I thank my opponent for choosing this debate and I wish them good luck.
DirtRoadAnthem

Con

Thank you and also good luck to you.
Jeff Gordon will not win a fifth championship. Under the new, and constantly changing points system, drivers need to be consistent, and finish well throughout the season, and this is just to make it into the chase. Jeff Gordon did win this past weekend, but that was his first win in 66 races, which although there are many races each season, 66 is a long time.Wins mean a lot in this sport and if you can't win a race or two in a season, especially when in the chase, your odds of winning a championship are very slim, presumably, unless the other drivers do poorly. Also, because of the amazing young talent that has been coming to NASCAR, from Kasey Kahne, to Carl Edwards, even Trevor Bayne who won this years Daytona 500, NASCAR's younger drivers are proving to be forces to reckoned with and making names for themselves. Jeff Gordon is also 40 years old. Today's NASCAR is definitely becoming a younger mans game. His age, and his dealing with the evolution of NASCAR from when he started to where it is now have to be affecting his performance, especially when recently he stated "Cars have changed, tires have changed, competition has changed," Gordon said. "So when you go through a streak without winning, you think, OK, is it me or what is it?" I feel since the competition level has increased dramatically, and cars and rules have also changed, Jeff Gordon will not win a fifth championship.
http://www.google.com...
THE_OPINIONATOR

Pro

I would first off like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate, now on to my argument.

"Jeff Gordon will not win a fifth championship. Under the new, and constantly changing points system, drivers need to be consistent, and finish well throughout the season, and this is just to make it into the chase." Jeff Gordon is one of the best drivers of the sport with over 600 start and 83 wins to his name. He makes the chase every year and has only missed it once in his whole sprint cup career. My opponent states that Jeff Gordon never wins, although he did just break a 66 win less streak at phoenix(the longest of his career). Jeff Gordon has remained consistent just look at last years stats its all there at NASCAR.com.

" Also, because of the amazing young talent that has been coming to NASCAR, from Kasey Kahne, to Carl Edwards, even Trevor Bayne who won this years Daytona 500, NASCAR's younger drivers are proving to be forces to reckoned with and making names for themselves." You never hear Kasey Kahne or Carl Edwards in the headlines of NASCAR their talent is not amazing as my opponent states. Trevor Bayne's mentor is none other than Jeff Gordon. Trevor has stated that Jeff is an idol to him during the pre-race at Daytona, and that he was honored to draft with him at practice. Jeff may be getting older but he is still very talented and very capable of winning a fifth championship.

"I feel since the competition level has increased dramatically, and cars and rules have also changed, Jeff Gordon will not win a fifth championship." My opponent states that since technology and rules of the sport are changing, Jeff Gordon will not be a factor for the championship. In 2002 Jeff Gordon was paired with Steve Leotard, this was his biggest problem. Steve gets Jeff in the right position to win but ends up making the wrong calls on pit road. Jeff Gordon won last Sunday the second race of the season. In 2009 it wasn't until the first race atTexas April before Jeff got his first win under Steve. Jeff's problems don't like with his age and changing of the sport, but rather the people he is working with. I feel that with the team shift at Hendrick motorsports Jeff will see his fifth championship.

DirtRoadAnthem

Con

As stated by my opponent, "He makes the chase every year and has only missed it once in his whole sprint cup career." This fact may seem very impressive but the modern day chase began in 2004, so that would only be 7 years, making the fact not as impressive as missing it only once in his career, when Jeff Gordon has been racing for more than 20 years. Prior to it becoming the Nextel Cup Series,(now known as the Sprint Cup Series) it was known as the Winston Cup Series, and under this model, there was no such thing as the "Race to the Chase", which is NASCAR's version of the playoffs.

"You never hear Kasey Kahne or Carl Edwards in the headlines of NASCAR their talent is not amazing as my opponent states." My opponents statement hear is also a little off, considering that these two drivers are part of a promotion NASCAR has called the "Gillette Young Guns", which are commercial's by Gillette which promote these drivers and obviously Gillette products. Carl Edwards is known around the NASCAR community for doing back flips after he wins a race. These two, among many other younger drivers including Kyle Bush, Joey Logano, and Denny Hamlin all have proven that NASCAR's talent pool is constantly improving.

"Jeff's problems don't like with his age and changing of the sport, but rather the people he is working with." NASCAR teams are constantly changing. This is a sport very much unlike any other because Crew Chiefs, and pit Crews are constantly changing, and although the team is a factor in the race, the driver is the one out there making the moves to win. The crew gets them to that position, but the driver is the one who finishes it. Also, the changing of the sport is a big psychological factor within the races. Drafting has changed, bump drafting, and over all conduct on the track has changed. Due to increasing safety precautions, NASCAR drivers are losing the ability to bump-draft, which when done correctly can give a driver the necessary push to pass an opponent. NASCAR has recently been trying to control this because when done incorrectly, the driver being bumped can be spun out, and often wind up in a wall. Drafting has also changed, due to the changing of the tracks. Daytona recently got a new makeover, in which drivers, for the first time on this track, were able to run three wide. There was also interesting drafting techniques being used on this track in which drivers were often paired, rather than running in larger group, as per the norm with drafting. This may not seem like drastic changes, but Jeff has often been heard voicing his displeasure with the changing of rules, and drafting measures, which he used to employee when he won those countless times. This is why I feel the changing of the rules of the sport will not allow Jeff to win a fifth championship.
THE_OPINIONATOR

Pro

Jeff Gordon will win a fith championship because he continues to be competitive. There are drivers such as Mark Martin who continues to be competitive in the sport. Jeff Gordons lack of success it due to all of his good engineers being given to Dale Jr. in order to help him win. Jeffs bad finish was due to his right front tire being cut. Jeff Gordon will win a fith championship because his lack of success is not of the change in sport but bad luck. I ask that you vote PRO Jeff Gordon will win a fith championship
DirtRoadAnthem

Con

Dale Jr. has been with Hendrick Motor Sports for about three years now, and Jeff won his last championship in 2001, 7 years prior to Dale Jr. joining the team, so Jeff's run of bad luck and lack of wins cannot be associated with the move. The over whelming talent within NASCAR and the rule changes that have occurred in the sport, and the failure of Jeff to perform well when he needs to are just a few reasons why I feel Jeff will not win his fifth championship. Arguing he has been unlucky, I feel is an argument set on shaky grounds. I have produced rational reasoning as to why Jeff will not win, and not just stated that his competitors have been "lucky".

I would like to thank my opponent for an enjoyable and interesting debate.