studentathletechristian8
Teleroboxer

Jeopardy - The Game Show

studentathletechristian8

Pro

The topic of this discussion regards the game show, "Jeopardy."

The resolution of the debate shall be, "On balance, it is more detrimental than beneficial to require contestants of Jeopardy to answer in the form of a question."

I affirm the mentioned resolution.

I propose that it would be better for contestants simply to respond with the actual answer rather than having to put the response in a question format.

This initial round shall simply serve as a welcome for my opponent to accept and question anything that he or she feels may need clarification. Best of luck. Actual debating will commence in round two.
Teleroboxer

Con

I thank Pro for offering the resolution and humbly enter the debate as Con.

I hereby deny the resolution.

One of three possible statements is true:

(1) On balance, it is more detrimental than beneficial to require contestants of Jeopardy to answer in the form of a question.

(2) On balance, it is more beneficial than detrimental to require contestants of Jeopardy to answer in the form of a question.

(3) On balance, it is neither more beneficial nor more detrimental to require contestants of Jeopardy to answer in the form of a question.

The first statement, word for word, is the proposed resolution, while the second and third are the only logical alternatives. If either the second or third statements are shown to be more convincing than the first, Con shall have won the debate. It is my intention to convince the reader of either the second or third statements.
studentathletechristian8

Pro

I thank Con for accepting this debate.

If contestants were not required to answer in the form of a question, they would not have to worry about phrasing their answers correctly. Instead of taking extra time and stress to decided between the use of "who is," "who are," "what is," and "what are," the contestants would have several extra moments to conjure up a plausible answer and state the response naturally. Thus, the contestants would act more naturally and openly, allowing for a more provocative display of intelligence and discussion among audience and viewers as well. (Besides, the need to create a question is simply superfluous.)
Plus, the extra time used for every response to add the additional words within the "question-answer" would shorten the run-time of the show and allow for more advertisements; thus, allowing more sponsors for Jeopardy and more commercials that can create economic gains by means of marketing or channels for job opportunities.

Teleroboxer

Con

Pro contends that removing the time-consuming and "superfluous" need to phrase answers in the form of questions would allow for "a provocative display of intelligence and discussion." What this supposed provocative display would consist of - other than giving the answers to the questions posed - is unclear.

On Jeopardy, questions have been phrased as answers and answers as questions since 1964. Alex Trebek has been doing it that way since 1984. Changing how things are done would be a pain for them, at best.

Pro further contends that a more intuitive question-answer scheme would save time for more advertising. Obviously, switching the location of "what is" (or some equivalent phrasing) from the answer portion to the question portion would not substantially alter the length of the show.

On the other hand, removing Jeopardy's signature element would certainly hurt brand identity, which would invariably hurt ratings. That means less viewers and less advertising dollars.
studentathletechristian8

Pro

studentathletechristian8 forfeited this round.
Teleroboxer

Con

Since my opponent has opted to forfeit this round, I will take this opportunity to show a funny video:
studentathletechristian8

Pro

Teleroboxer

Con

I assume that my opponent has realized the futility of his position, has perceived the superiority of my intellect, and understandably has fled in sheer terror.
studentathletechristian8

Pro

Teleroboxer

Con

Vote CON.
Posted by belle 6 years ago
belle
that would ruin the irony :(
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
A brilliant songwriter.

What is Joe Perry?

WRONG!!! WHO is Joe Perry?
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
Haha, omg! I love Jeopardy. My dad and I used to always watch it and challenge each other. I love trivia. <3
Vote Placed by Teleroboxer 6 years ago
Teleroboxer
studentathletechristian8TeleroboxerTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 6 years ago
studentathletechristian8
studentathletechristian8TeleroboxerTied