texans14
WilliamsP

Jerry Rice was the best NFL player of all time

texans14
Started: 6/15/2014 Category: Sports

texans14

Pro

Jerry Rice was the greatest player in NFL history. It's not even very close. 208 touchdowns says it right there. He had countless yards after the catch and countless game winning TDs.
WilliamsP

Con

Arguments
"Best" is defined as "of the highest quality, excellence, or standing." My opponent has not proven that Jerry Rice is necessarily better than the other NFL players. He did not even say a word about them. This is a very opinionated debate. It is my opponent's opinion that Jerry Rice is the "greatest player in NFL history." It is my opinion that Barack Obama is a great president. Do you agree? I do not expect you to agree.

I am not a fan of football at all. However, this debate does not require a knowledge of football. I just need to recognize that this is an opinionated, unfounded debate. I just need to recognize that the burden of proof is on my opponent, not me.

Also, I would like to warn texans14. He has been trolling debate.org lately and has ruined one of my debates: http://www.debate.org.... Let's look at another debate where he voted: http://www.debate.org.... His RFD is absolutely horrible and unworthy of this great side, debate.org. I just want him to be aware of the potential consequences of his actions, which will be him being removed from the site.

Works Cited
1. http://dictionary.reference.com...;
texans14

Pro

First of all, I have not been trolling. I have been voting based on what I truly believe in. I truly believe dogs are better than cats. I also believe that homosexuality is not a choice. I did not "ruin" your debate. All I did was vote with what I believe in. Don't go rushing to judgement.
Back to our debate. The only reason my argument was so brief was because I like to start debates short and to the point. The reason I posted the 208 touchdowns is because second place is Emmitt Smith's 175. It's not even close, so you can see why it's a valid argument. Also I think it's arrogant to say that you don't need a knowledge of football to win this debate. Here are Jerry Rice's career statistics.
Games played-303
Games Started-284
Receptions-1541
Yards-22895
Yards per catch-14.8
Yards per game-75.6
Touchdowns-208
Longest play-96 yards
Many of these are NFL records. So you're saying you don't need football knowledge to win this debate. I'd think again.
WilliamsP

Con

Rebuttals
Texans14, I am, in a sense, a veteran of debate.org. You are a freshman. Do not test me. I am warning you.

"I truly believe dogs are better than cats. I also believe that homosexuality is not a choice. I did not "ruin" your debate. All I did was vote with what I believe in. Don't go rushing to judgement." Look, you cannot simply vote for what you believe in. You must analyze the debate and vote for who debated more effectively. In the votes, there is a clear section for "agreed with before the debate" and "agreed with after the debate." Those you can do with whatever you wish. However, the other points are not a game. They are serious matters. The question is not, "Who do you agree with?" The question is, "Who debated better?"

"The reason I posted the 208 touchdowns is because second place is Emmitt Smith's 175. It's not even close, so you can see why it's a valid argument. Also I think it's arrogant to say that you don't need a knowledge of football to win this debate." Career statisftics do not prove anything. They may be support, but they do not prove your case. Perhaps Rice had more touchdowns than any other NFL player, but what about his moves, his style, his speed, and his way of playing? You can provide numbers and fancy statistics if you want, but it will not help you much. The reality is that this debate is opinionated.

Also, my opponent has not provided a source for his statistics. That is a huge mistake. You cannot argue something without sources. Did you make all these numbers up, perhaps? How do I know that these are not fake? It would be recommended that you provide a source.

Look, Texans14, I urge you to listen to reason. I hope you grow and improve on debate.org, but this is not the way to go. I hope you take my advice.
texans14

Pro

http://m.pfref.com...
Here's a link. By the way, I respect the way you operate on this site . However, you haven't actually provided any stats or even other players that would prove me wrong.
You said that career stats do nothing. You aiming at the fact that I'm not right because this is an opinion debate . This doesn't make you right either, and at least I've provided information from a valid source to support my cause. And you say my style of debate is opinionated. Well, it's not as opinionated as what you advised me to do. You told me to talk about his moves and style, which is even more my opinion of whether I liked his moves or not.
Most of all, I hate what you said in your first and last paragraphs. You are a veteran and I'm a rookie. Yes , I'm new to the site, but in no way shape or form am I new to debating. Again don't go rushing to judgement.
WilliamsP

Con

An Apology
I would like to apologize to my opponent if my attacks were a little too harsh. If it seemed that I "rushed to judgement", I am sorry about that as well. If I lose the conduct points in the votes, I shall accept that. I was harsh with my opponent and I admit that fully. However, I just wanted to have a serious, mature debate, and perhaps I overreacted.

My major point in this debate was simply that it is a matter of opinion who the greatest NFL player of all time was. However, "most successful" and "greatest" are not synonyms. Certain football fans have certain preferences, while others have other preferences. Everybody is different. Everybody prefers a different team, a different player, and a different style. My attacks were a little harsh, I apologize again, but I believe that my stance is the right one. I urge the voters to vote fairly.
Posted by WilliamsP 2 years ago
WilliamsP
I fully accept defeat. I may not agree with all the RFD, but I shall endure.
Posted by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
texans, you did great for your first debate. Dont sweat it. 6months does not constitute you as a veteran of the site in any sense. Its still considered a very young age.

one word of advice to keep in mind is not to vote what you believe, but who Debated better, taking into account the 7 point system.
Posted by texans14 2 years ago
texans14
Thank you for apologizing. I accept. And I apologize if that debate I voted on meant a lot to your profile on this site. I may change the way I vote on this site.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
texans14WilliamsPTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con immediately loses conduct points for the personal attacks on Pro. There is no room in debate for such things. I thought that Pro's source was quite good, in that it gave direct proof to back up his claim. However, in order to prove that Jerry Rice was the best, Pro would need to show not only that his stats were amazing, but that he was the best player ever, and that required more than what he gave. So, arguments to Con, for being right in saying that Pro didn't meet his BoP in showing the best (simply great, at best).
Vote Placed by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
texans14WilliamsPTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con has completely derailed this debate, talking about all sorts of things including how Pro has ruined one of his previous debates. This is not only irrelevant but also bad sportsmanship. He also goes on to insult Pro saying that Con knows better since he's been on the site longer. If that were the case, he would not have such an immature and arrogant way of debating. Pro provided valid statistics and Con provided no counter arguments what so ever and tried to win via using his own personal feelings. For this reason Pro gets arguments and Conduct.