Katelyn6913
Maedis

Jersey Shore on MTV should be cancelled

Katelyn6913

Pro

Jersey Shore is a disgrace not only to the state of NJ, and to Italian Americans but to the entire population. This show conveys the message that getting drunk, acting sleazy, and being irresponsible is okay. More than half of the characters on the show don't even live in NJ yet because the show is sometimes shot at the Jersey show those that live in NJ are being stereotyped because of these characters. These characters aren't just stupid teens with no care in the world either many of them are in their late 20's nearing 30 and they all have yet to grow up and behave appropriately in public. In real life the Jersey shore is not a place to get drunk and sloppy it also is a place for families to day trip to, but after this show I'm sure there is a new crowd at the shore, just people who want to imitate the Jersey Shore characters and drink, tan, and do whatever else these characters do. Although the show gets good ratings I don't think it belongs on the air, it is a false advertisement of NJ and of Italian Americans.
Maedis

Con

Thank you for presenting this argument. I look forward to our debate.

As a resident of New Jersey myself, I believe Jersey Shore should not be cancelled for the following reasons:

It helps our economy and generates tourism

Jersey Shore is one of the most popular shows on MTV. As such, it draws a large amount of viewers each week. These viewers will then be exposed to the advertisements on the MTV channel. This in turn helps MTV channel's profits as well as any advertisers who seek to increase business. [1]

Furthermore, since Jersey Shore's premiere, venues at the shore have reported a tremendous increase in earnings. Tourists from around the United States have actually traveled to visit what has become one of their favorite landmarks. Tony Rivoli, owner of the cast's favorite resturant, Rivoli's, stated, "It’s been phenomenal! We now get people coming here from all over the country and all over the world." [2]

In an economy that's struggling, New Jersey cannot afford a show to get cancelled that helps its businesses.

It is purely entertainment

My opponent presumes falsely that "I'm sure there is a new crowd at the shore, just people who want to imitate the Jersey shore characters." There is no data presented to support that this is true, or that this is actually happening. As a frequent visitor of the shore myself, I can attest that there is no increase of orange shirtless teenagers than their already was prior to the show's airing. This is not enough to support a cancellation.

If my opponent's argument was logical, then any show on TV depicting negative attributes should be cancelled because viewers may imitate their behavior. If teenagers will imitate Snookie, what stops them from going one step farther and imitating a serial killer on CSI or a manipulator on Survivor? The fact of the matter is that viewers realize the difference between entertainment television and reality. Jersey Shore's list of unethical characters do not actually encourage poor behavior any more than any show already does.

Furthermore, modern psychology states that morality is formed during early childhood. Therefore, Jersey Shore does not contribute to any further breakdown in morality than what has already existed. [3]

Pro's Errors

My opponent fails to provide statistical or reasonable evidence to support his claim. There is also evidence of a degree of ignorance by the statement, "and do whatever else these characters do." I speculate that pro has not actually viewed Jersey Shore enough to develop a strong argument on his position.

Thank you. I look forward to your response.

1) http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com...
2) http://www.wetpaint.com...
3) http://www.schuelers.com...;
Katelyn6913

Pro

Katelyn6913 forfeited this round.
Maedis

Con

My opponent has forfeited the last round. I am sad. :(
Katelyn6913

Pro

Katelyn6913 forfeited this round.
Maedis

Con

Maedis forfeited this round.
Katelyn6913

Pro

Katelyn6913 forfeited this round.
Maedis

Con

Maedis forfeited this round.
Katelyn6913

Pro

Katelyn6913 forfeited this round.
Maedis

Con

Maedis forfeited this round.