Jesus Christ loves gays.

Jesus loves all humans
Gays are human
Therefore, Jesus loves gays

It is said directly from the bible, "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." and "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them." Jesus was noted to expose sinful hearts, and was a believer in god and Christianity. Therefore, he was against homosexuality primarily based upon these facts.

First, Jesus died on the cross for our sins. Taking all of man's sins onto himself.

Second, my opponent is blurring the lines between being gay and homosexual deeds. This is seen by using the word homosexuality.

"1. Sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
2. Sexual activity with another of the same sex." [0]

As you can see there is great chasm between the two definitions. Now look at the word gay I used in the topic. [1]

"1. A person whose sexual orientation is to persons of the same sex." [1]

Now which one is it my opponent? The 1st or the second or both?

I have already proven God loves gays in r1. Now an argument could be made that God dislike the homosexual orientation, yet that is a red herring and irrelevant to the debate. A case could also be that God hates sexual activity with a person of the same sex, nevertheless that is also a red herring and off topic.

I conclude that my opponent's entire r1 argument is a red herring and should have no impact upon the resolution. Meanwhile I have proven that God loves gays, a person whose sexual orientation is to persons of the same sex. Thank you for the debate. May gays go to heaven.

My opponent has attempted to trap me by using a logical fallacy. The problem being, that if God dislikes sexual activity with another of the same sex, but does not explicitly say that he doesn't hate homosexuals is not proof that he loves them. In fact, I would put forth that hating an act that is a characteristic of a person is the same as a hatred for that type of person. I will present an example to illustrate this fallacy.

The eighth commandment states 'thou shalt not steal, but nowhere does God say that he hates or condemns thieves. This does not prove that God loves thieves, and in fact, it is implied that he does hate and condemn them.

Another thing I would like to address is the fact that the burden of proof falls upon my opponent to prove that God loves homosexuals. His argument that God loves all, so He loves gays is a fallacy for the same reason his first argument is. It may be said that God loves all, but as you have pointed out the bible is full of double standards, this included.
Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."
This is proof that God hates sinners. Amount these sinners we find homosexuals (or people who perform homosexual acts, as my opponent would appreciate the distinction between two things that are indeed the same).

My opponent has taken the crazy stance that God hates sinners. I rarely use the word crazy, but I think the situation merits the usage of this word. In other words, my opponent claims God hates all humans. This is because we are all sinners. One of the most famous lines Jesus says is

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.[2]

Now if I remember correctly, nobody through a stone, meaning everyone had sinned.

Is this really what the Bible is portrayed as, a book of hate? That Jesus hated all the people who would not throw a stone, because they all sinned. I don't know why my opponent is trying to twist the words of the Lord, but I will do my best to remedy the situation.

The simple answer, no of course God doesn't hate all mankind. [3] I have proven that God loves mankind and shown the discrepancy between a sinner and sin. I have also shown that Jesus loves us despite our sins. Thank you for the debate.

My opponent claims I am the one that is crazy, simply because he is backed into a corner. I will demonstrate this through two of his contradictory quotes.

"First, Jesus died on the cross for our sins. Taking all of man's sins onto himself." -My opponent

"In other words, my opponent claims God hates all humans. This is because we are all sinners.
Now if I remember correctly, nobody through a stone, meaning everyone had sinned." - Also my opponent

If Jesus took all of man's sins onto himself, then how could we all be sinners? My opponent's attempts to equate God hating sinners with God hating everyone is a logical fallacy within itself, but furthermore proves the double standards found within the bible and this is one of the main reasons he fails to prove his point - the bible is rife with double standards.

My opponent contradicted himself within two arguments, one right after another. His argument is therefore null because of the contradiction.

My opponent also failed to address my equating of an act with a person, nor my example of the eighth commandment. I will assume that this is because he knew it was a valid point and he had no rebuttal.

This point alone debunks his 'God loves everyone, therefore God loves homosexuals' point, as does the fact that the bible is littered with double standards which he himself proved through his own contradictory points.

Thank you to anyone following this debate. I want to thank my opponent for a good debate, barring the dramatics in his final argument.
Posted by thedynasty139 2 months ago
@StupidApe, Saying the state of being homosexual is "static" or natural goes against the Bible.

Romans 1:26-27 "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error."

Key phrase here: "natural sexual relations for unnatural ones."
Posted by jesusismywarrior 2 months ago
God finds the act of homosexuals detestable. I have to agree with Stupidape on this one. Hating someone's behavior, isn't equivalent to hating the person itself. God does not hate anyone. He is a loving God. Homosexuality is perceived as a sin by the Lord, but God does not hate sinners. It's ridiculous using Leviticus to condemn anything. Rules in the Bible were always tied to some sort of reasoning. In the case of this gay sex prohibition, a consistent thread in early Judeo-Christian understanding was that semen alone was considered unclean, because sex was ONLY meant to be procreative. In the same passages where gay sex is condemned and punished, so is eating shrimp, crop co-mingling, eating rabbit, wearing linen and wool at the same time, and eating raw meat. So if you"re gonna be a Biblical literalist, you might as well start sewing your own clothes and becoming a vegetarian.
Posted by JcMagic2015 2 months ago
Arguably, the ten commandments would be the worst of the worse. Homosexual acts are not listed on here (adultery, but in general). If he's willing to love all of us regardless of how many of these big 10 we break, why would the others matter?

Is someone who acts on a homosexual urge really worse than murder or adultery for that matter? And how many of us have broken some of the commandments (e.g. stolen something at some point in life).

The whole point of needing Jesus was that NONE of us are good enough on merit alone to get into Heaven. He provided the bridge from us to the pure God.

Rather than Jesus loves or does not love gays, perhaps we could look at it as Jesus loves everyone (and as I_wanna_rawk stated) but hates our sin.
Posted by canis 2 months ago
I did not confuse anything. Just tranlated...
Posted by Stupidape 2 months ago
"Leviticus 20:13 "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."" dynasty

Your confusing homosexual acts with the static state of being gay. Huge difference, saying that being gay is a sin is like saying being red hair or Caucasian is sin.
Posted by canis 2 months ago
The tranlation is " a blood guild"..That could mean anything..The "blood-line" is not continued.
Posted by canis 2 months ago
Nope ..It is not L.20:13..Or anything
Posted by thedynasty139 2 months ago
Leviticus 20:13 "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."
Posted by canis 2 months ago
Like all prophets he was probably gay himself..Always surrounded by men...Hmm.
Posted by BackCommander 2 months ago
Jesus quote "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love"

The sixth of Jesus' commandments was "WHATEVER CAUSES YOU TO SIN, GET RID OF IT."
So if you believe homosexuality is a sin, then no, Jesus doesn't love them.

Your entire argument is based on Jesus loving everyone, forgiveness isn't love, you're getting those two confused.
Vote Placed by JimShady 2 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Stupidape makes a point backed by evidence: since God loves everyone, and everyone is inclusive of homosexuals, then that means he loves homosexuals. TheOneAndOnlySinner fails to prove that God hates them, saying that it is "inferred." Also, it's worthy to note that even though the Bible seems to be full of double standards, it is not. The Bible is open to interpretation. Bible verses were used by both sides, but ultimately, TheOneAndOnlySinner's verses don't PROVE that God hates gay. Once again, he says that they infer that God does. Also, you have full rights to be in this debate, OneAndOnlySinner... however, I think you, being an atheist, can always just say God doesn't exist, therefore he doesn't love anyone. Good job to both of you, but better to Stupidape.