Kylar
masterdrave

Jesus died on a cross (pro) or stake (con)

Kylar

Kylar

Pro

Hey it's your friend Kylar :). I have a debate that I want to do that I think both myself and Con will enjoy and learn a lot on. This debate is on whether Jesus died on a cross, or a stake, as the Jehovah's Witnesses would tell you. Not to be rude to Jehovah's Witnesses, as you are Christians same as I am, but I would willingly refute you by saying that Jesus died on a cross, and it was the traditional latin lowercase t shape that we all know. I want a good civil debate on this, and lets have a good debate :).
Good luck to Con :)!
Kylar

Pro

Greetings and thank you for accepting this debate :). I will begin this debate with the following arguments as to why Jesus died on a cross as opposed to a stake.
Jesus died on a cross and not a stake, In particular

the Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus died on a stake, not a cross.1 It really does not matter on which one Jesus died. The issue is whether or not He shed His blood for our sins.

The Greek word used in many Bibles which is translated into "cross" is the Greek word "stauros" which means, "an upright stake, esp. a pointed one, a cross."2 If a stake were used, instead of a cross, then Jesus' hands would have been placed above His head with a nail driven through His wrists. Since the wrists would most likely overlap, only one nail is needed through both wrists. However, John 20:25 says,

"The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe."

Notice the use of the word nails (plural) in reference to hands (plural). It makes far more sense to say that Jesus was crucified on a cross with outstretched hands and one nail in each hand placed above each other on a stake. That is why it says " . . . in his hands the print of the nails . . . "

Therefore, it is most logical to state that Jesus died on a cross with outstretched arms.

One last thing, the Jehovah's Witnesses will say that the cross is a pagan symbol, but that is meaningless. The cross was one of the Roman Empire's methods of execution. It would be like saying that the electric chair is a pagan symbol. It isn't. It is just a means of execution.

Source: https://carm.org...
Thank you again for this debae :), and I can't wait for your arguments

masterdrave

Con

masterdrave forfeited this round.
Kylar

Pro

Thank you my opponett for this debate, and I will let the forfeiture pass :).
Here are my arguments from a reputable source as to why Jesus died on a cross, and not a stake

THE GREEK:

The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology says this about the Greek stauros:

Corresponding to the vb. (stauroo) which was more common, stauros can mean a stake which was sometimes pointed on which an executed criminal was publicly displayed in shame as a further punishment. It could be used for hanging (so probably Diod. Sic., 2, 18, 2), impaling, or strangulation. stauros could also be an instrument of torture, perhaps in the sense of the Lat. patibulum, a crossbeam laid on the shoulders. Finally it could be an instrument of execution in the form of a vertical stake and a crossbeam of the same length forming a cross in the narrower sense of the term. It took the form either of a T (Lat. crux commissa) or of a + (crux immissa). (Vol. 1, page 391)

The Greek word xylon can mean "wood, a piece of wood, or anything made of wood," and can refer to a cross as well, as pointed out in Vine's Expository Dictionary, Vol. 4, p. 153.
Source: http://www.freeminds.org...
thank you again for this debate :)

masterdrave

Con

masterdrave forfeited this round.
Kylar

Pro

Thank you again for this debate and I have no hard feelings about the forefiture :).
Now for my Round IV arguments
http://commontruth.com...
I encourage you to read this my friend :), and you will find there is proof Jesus Christ died on a cross rather than a stake.
Thanks again for the debate :)
masterdrave

Con

masterdrave forfeited this round.
Kylar

Pro

Thank you for the debate. I have made my views clear, vote pro!
masterdrave

Con

masterdrave forfeited this round.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
Lexus, he said "I need votes on this debate!" Which could mean he needs people to vote on it. Also, it's completely normal to ask people for votes if someone forfeits all the rounds, I wouldn't say that's poor conduct at all.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
@animeasiangirl, so? Why wouldn't he be found in other books, real or not?
Posted by animeasiangirl 2 years ago
animeasiangirl
@Gabe1e2-Jesus does exist. I read a book about ancient civilization biographies and it mentions Jesus as a real person. I also believe in Jesus too. Really though he was in a book that wasn't the Bible.
Posted by 400spartans 2 years ago
400spartans
@Gabe1e2

He was actually found, but has been confirmed to just be a person.
Posted by Proving_a_Negative 2 years ago
Proving_a_Negative
lol Gabe1e2. My sides hurt a little.
Posted by Gabe1e2 2 years ago
Gabe1e2
Jesus never died. Something that doesn't exist can't die.
Posted by TBR 2 years ago
TBR
@Longline - I don't think you read my comment. When scrolling by, I read the question, and didn't care. Thought about the question for a second, and though again. That is a interesting topic.
Posted by ulorp 2 years ago
ulorp
Very interesting topic, I'm not a JW myself but I am super interested in seeing how this goes. Best of luck to you!

@Longline Why are you attacking TBR? TBR clearly cares about this debate and did not say anything offensive. He even hopes that the OP finds someone who wants to debate him. Get off his case. :P
Posted by Longline 2 years ago
Longline
now you are part of those who care, because you will indeed see other comments, and you will want to say your mind, so yes you care.
Posted by Longline 2 years ago
Longline
TBR: you dont care one bit, why bother posting comment here then? why not just keep on scrooling?
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
KylarmasterdraveTied
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
KylarmasterdraveTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
KylarmasterdraveTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
KylarmasterdraveTied
Reasons for voting decision: Unfortunate.
Vote Placed by Lexus 2 years ago
Lexus
KylarmasterdraveTied
Reasons for voting decision: I give arguments to pro because he was the only one to make any. But I give con conduct because pro was asking for me to vote on his side in pm, which is a big no-no...
Vote Placed by The-Voice-of-Truth 2 years ago
The-Voice-of-Truth
KylarmasterdraveTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.