wsurin7
Motherlover6969

Jesus is God!

wsurin7

Pro

Jesus is God according to the Bible. John 14:6-11King James Version (KJV)

"6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake." Anyone who is willing to disprove this from the Bible only!
Motherlover6969

Con

What this scripture means is that god is in jesus because he manually put him inside of marry to give a prophet to the world jesus is not god but god is in jesus, thats what it means by the father the son and the holy spirit
wsurin7

Pro

Thank you for your acceptance to this debate con./motherlover. Since you did not use the Bible to disprove this claim and you used only your opinion, in a sense breaking the rules established in the first round, the only thing I need to tell you is what it really means from three biblical scholars. Here is what John 14:6-11 means: "4-7. whither I go ye know . . . Thomas saith, Lord, we know not whither thou guest . . .
Jesus saith, I am the way, &c.--By saying this, He meant rather to draw out their inquiries and
reply to them. Christ is "THE WAY" to the Father--"no man cometh unto the Father but by Me";
He is "THE TRUTH" of all we find in the Father when we get to Him, "For in Him dwelleth all
the fulness of the Godhead bodily" (Col 2:9), and He is all "THE LIFE" that shall ever flow to us
and bless us from the Godhead thus approached and thus manifested in Him--"this is the true
God and eternal life" (1Jo 5:20).7. from henceforth--now, or from this time, understand.
8-12. The substance of this passage is that the Son is the ordained and perfect manifestation
of the Father, that His own word for this ought to His disciples to be enough; that if any doubts
remained His works ought to remove them (see on Joh 10:37); but yet that these works of His
were designed merely to aid weak faith, and would be repeated, nay exceeded, by His disciples,
in virtue of the power He would confer on them after His departure. His miracles the apostles
wrought, though wholly in His name and by His power, and the "greater" works--not in degree
but in kind--were the conversion of thousands in a day, by His Spirit accompanying them."---(Commentary, Critical, and Explanatory on the Whole Bible; Jamieson; Fausset; and Brown; John 14:6-12) Clearly from this interpretation we see that Jesus is God. Your opinion and interpretation of this text is not enough to disprove this claim (Jesus is God) hence why I said please disprove it from the Bible only. According to these scholars up above in this section Jesus is God! Now I have another verse here which I would like for you to interpret what it means and possibly give another verse to disprove that Jesus is God. Here is the verse:John 20:28-29King James Version (KJV)

"28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." Now you can interpret the text and tell me what it means. Also if you can please show another text disproving the claim I just posted up above in this section only since you did not disprove John 14:6-11!
Motherlover6969

Con

Motherlover6969 forfeited this round.
wsurin7

Pro

wsurin7 forfeited this round.
Motherlover6969

Con

Motherlover6969 forfeited this round.
wsurin7

Pro

wsurin7 forfeited this round.
Motherlover6969

Con

Motherlover6969 forfeited this round.
Posted by THsea 1 year ago
THsea
I think blade-of-truth or magicisntreal could win this. I mean, this is an interpretation, most of the books in the new testament do not explicitly say that. Most (if you read it without presuppositions) of the books imply that they are separate entities. Of the gospels, John is the only one that really states that Jesus is god. Heck, the trinity isn't really explicitly stated in the bible, it comes from later theological thinking.

I'd be willing to take this on next week. I just don't have the time with school work... It would be fun though! If either of you want to take it on, feel free to send me a message and we can discuss the information. I'm sure either of you could present the information much better than I could.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
Omg I was about to rip this to shreds before seeing the "according to the Bible" part... I'd really like to debate this logically, and based solely on what the Bible gives us to work with, but don't see a way around it.

Essentially, my argument would be that Jesus isn't *all* God, but merely a part of him. Since a part =/= a whole, he can't logically be God. Rather, he's just a part of God, the physical manifestation of God if you will. Obviously Jesus was not the omnipotent, omnipresent God since he was bound to the limitations of the human body and mind.
Posted by MagicAintReal 1 year ago
MagicAintReal
There might be two problems here.
1. Without an explicit definition of god, it's hard to pretend "father" means "god"
2. If there's no difference between Jesus and god, then how is there a human form and non-human form? Aren't their forms different enough to negate the equality Jesus is God?

This needs definitions for god.
Posted by Phenenas 1 year ago
Phenenas
So...are you arguing on the assumption that the Bible contains only truth? Because there's no question that Jesus is God in the Bible. Whether or not the Bible is right about it, however, could be debated.