Jesus is not the literal Son of God

Jesus was not the literal or "begotten" son of God as preached by the Christian Church.

Using historical, biological, and theological arguments to prove that Jesus was not the Son of God as stated by the Christian Church.

(I do not make this challenge with the intent to offend, as I respect the deeply held beliefs of all individuals, whether I agree with them or not).

I accept. I also assume this is first round acceptance?

The BOP is on you.

--I will show you how Jesus is the literal Son of God.

Thank you for accepting this debate, I know that we will have a spirited discussion.

Why would an immortal, omnipotent Creator need children?

From a biological point of view the purpose of reproduction is to propogate the species ( A divine Creator would not have a gender nor would it create children with the means to recreate, because it lives forever.

Jesus was a male so he had a gender, which is a biological vehicle for reproduction, as anyone who has studied biology will testify to. This means that he had the ability to produce children because he was a normal human.

"Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh; and declared to be the Son of God, with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead." (Romans 1:3-4).

"Ye men of Israel, hear these words, Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know." (Acts 1:22).

Theological proof against the Divine Sonship of jesus.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life" (John 3:16). This is the verse from the Christian Bible that the entire Christiandom hangs it's claim that Jesus (pbuh) is the literal son of God. There are several problems with this statement.

The definition of the word begotten.

begotten past participle of be·get (Verb)

1. (typically of a man, sometimes of a man and a woman) Bring (a child) into existence by the process of reproduction.

(Websters Online Dictionary)

In other words, one would have had to have sex in order to beget someone. The Christian Bible is full of people begetting other people: "Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren" (Matthew 1:2).

Did the God of the Bible have sex?

Jesus is not alone in having the title Son of God.

"That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose" (Genesis 6:2).

"Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them" (Job 1:6).

"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of are we the sons of God" (1 John 3:1-2)

These are just a few of the verses that show that Jesus is not unique in wearing the title of son of God.

Finally, Jesus himself did not believe himself to be the son of God in any special way, but instead saw it in the context of a righteous servant, if the texts of the Gospels are to be believed.

"Jesus answered them; is it not written in you law, I said, ye are gods? If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?" (John 10:34-36). What he was saying was that others in the past were called gods but he is accused of blasphemy for calling himself the son of God, which Jesus found as perplexing.

Jesus refused to be placed in the same catagory of God: "And behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is God; but if thou wilt enter into life keep the commandments" (Matthew 19:16-19).

I await your response.

As I stated in the comments section: What do you mean "literal son"? I dont believe that Jesus was a literal son, I simply believe He was and Is God.

Before we can debate, we must agree on exactly what were debating about.

Do you agree/disagree with Jesus being God?

I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I apologize as well, I will argue that Jesus is not God or the third of the trinity then. Is that acceptable?

Yes thank you. Challenge me to the debate and we will begin!
Posted by Renascor 4 years ago
One vote? Really?
Posted by kohai 4 years ago
Conduct goes to CON because PRO did not define "literal son of God" well and caused confusion amongst Liquidus. However, since PRO argued and CON did not refute, this brings the arguments to PRO. Moreover, after the arguments in PRO's round, it should have became a little bit clearer as to what PRO ment by 'Literal" son of God.
Posted by Liquidus 4 years ago
This argument is being preformed with a different title. If you are interested, let me know.
Posted by Liquidus 4 years ago
When you say not the Son of God, what do you mean. Jesus wasn't literally the Son of God, He was God. Thats the truth.
Posted by medic0506 4 years ago
Sorry but I don't have the time right now.
Vote Placed by kohai 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Please see the comments.