Jesus of Nazareth is the greatest man who ever lived

I am arguing that Jesus Christ of Nazareth is the greatest man who has ever lived. There has never been another person with a greater positive impact on humanity. Please refrain from being deliberately abusive toward or about Jesus.

Looking forward to an interesting discussion! I agree to speak of Jesus, and your beliefs, with respect.

I'd like to start out by saying that I am going to ask that we assume that Jesus existed for the sake of this debate. I want to share why I think Jesus is the greatest person who's ever lived. Let's take a look in short at his life:

One Solitary Life

He was born in an obscure village, the child of a peasant woman. He grew up in still another village, where He worked in a carpenter shop until He was 30. Then for three years He was an itinerant preacher. He never wrote a book. He never held an office. He never had a family or owned a house. He didn't go to college. He never traveled more than 200 miles from the place He was born. He did none of the things one usually associates with greatness. He had no credentials but Himself. He was only 33 when public opinion turned against Him. His friends deserted Him. He was turned over to His enemies and went through the mockery of a trial. He was nailed to a cross between two thieves. When He was dying, His executioners gambled for His clothing, the only property He had.. . . on earth. When He was dead, He was laid in a borrowed grave through the pity of a friend. Nineteen centuries have come and gone, and today He is the central figure of the human race, the leader of mankind's progress. All the armies that ever marched, all the navies that ever sailed, all the parliaments that ever sat, all the kings that ever reigned, put together, have not affected the life of man on earth as much as that One Solitary Life. Do You Know Who He Is?

Dr James Allan Francis in "The Real Jesus and Other Sermons"

Let's look at what other great people thought of him:

Napoleon Bonaparte

"What a conqueror!--a conqueror who controls humanity at will, and wins to himself not only one nation, but the whole human race. What a marvel! He attach"s to himself the human soul with all its energies. And how? By a miracle which surpasses all others. He claims the love of men--that is to say, the most difficult thing in the world to obtain; that which the wisest of men cannot force from his truest friend, that which no father can compel from his children, no wife from her husband, no brother from his brother--the heart. He claims it ; he requires it absolutely and undividedly, and he obtains it instantly.

George Washington

"I now make it my earnest prayer that God would" most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of the mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion."

Yann Martel, Life of Pi

"I couldn't get Him out of my head. Still can't. I spent three solid days thinking about Him. The more He bothered me, the less I could forget Him. And the more I learned about Him, the less I wanted to leave Him."

--- Mahatma Gandhi,

"Jesus came as near to perfection as possible."

I want this to stand as a mere opening salvo. I intend to specifically mention the things Jesus has influenced in the coming posts.

mabrewer forfeited this round.

Through out human history and cultures, human life has been, and in some places continues to be, exceedingly cheap. Especially when it comes to humanity in it's most vulnerable form. Infanticide seems to be a universal anthropological phenomenon. It has gone on everywhere at some time or other.
Paleolithic and Neolithic people before farming murdered there infants at a rate of anywhere from 15% to 50%. Female babies were over represented.
Archaeologists have found evidence of child sacrifice in mesoamerican precolumbian cultures particularly the Inca.
There is evidence of child sacrifice in Sardinia.
Babylonians sacrificed babies to Ishtar.
Pelasgians would sacrifice every 10th child in times of trouble.
Syrians sacrificed babies to Jupiter and Juno.
In Egypt in the time of 950-720 BCE there was child sacrifice although I'm not sure to what degree.
Carthage was infamous for child sacrifice.
Phoenicians, Canaanites, Moabites and Sepharvites also practiced infanticide.
In both Greece and Rome it was very common to leave babies out in the open to die from hunger and the elements or by drowning. It was an everyday occurrence in Rome.
The Pagans of Europe practiced these same things.
It was practiced in pre-Islamic Arabia, Georgia, Russia, and the Ukraine
In both India and Japan infanticide, especially with girls in India, was practiced until today. In Japan until the Early 20th century. In both those countries Christianity has little to no influence or presence. The British were the only representatives of that ideology and they eventually illegalized it for awhile in the 19th century. Obviously it has resumed.
In China the murder of girl babies was common. It slowed down during communism but then picked up again because of the one child policy. Christianity apparently has never been a major cultural or legal influence in China. Only today is Christianity becoming a major influence.
When Christianity emerged; first Christians practiced rescuing babies who were exposed and would raise them themselves or the church would raise them. When Rome became Christian infanticide gained opprobrium and then was made equal to homicide and ultimately illegalized. The Middle ages in Europe in some places continued in their sick practices but the Church kept fighting. Now the very idea of killing a baby makes the most hardened atheist flinch and he thinks it's common sense that it is morally repugnant. Anywhere Jesus goes this practice from the the pit of hell goes right back where it belongs. You'll noticed that places His sandals have not tread (metaphorically) this horrifying practice is still going on or only stopped recently.
Infanticide largely ceased to exist as we knew it in the Western world and Eastern Europe. Anywhere Christ dwelt the practiced had died. This cannot be argued for any other person or religion. Muhammad improved things in the Hijaz but Islamic success has been very limited. In Jesus' lands it vanished. But recently as people have thrown Jesus out of their homes, lives, and lands this vicious, sick, selfish practice has come back. It now hides behind a sterile euphemism called abortion on demand.
Jesus took a habit embedded in the anthropological nature of man and made it evaporate. We know it was him because as soon as his influence is rejected and anywhere his influence is weak or not present it returns or still exists. Such a man, on this basis alone, would clearly qualify as the greatest human being to ever walk this planet.

mabrewer forfeited this round.

JonathanDJ forfeited this round.

mabrewer forfeited this round.

I'm going to summarize some stuff. My opponent seems to have dropped out on me. Jesus in giving rise to Christianity gave rise to Paul's teaching "Let him who does not work also not eat." In the Greko-Roman world manual labor was considered demeaning and philosophers were known to scold their students and other philosophers for engaging in it. Slaves were left to do all the work. Christianity radically changed societies view of work. When Christianity was still oppressed, Christians would find themselves prosperous people and standing out from others. They would sometimes be treated with distrust because of this and sometimes even persecuted specifically about this. Christianity gave rise to the middle class. The middle class was a vital step in establishing the steps to human freedom.
Modern science is a direct result of Christianity. One of the reasons is where it started. The monks in monasteries are where the first experiments took place. Because Christians believed in the dignity of work they were willing to work with their hands to design experiments the Greeks and the Romans weren't. The Christian belief in a rational and single Creator caused the first scientist to look for rational laws and organization indicating a single mind behind what they observed. Other cultures believed in many gods and chaos and the gods being capricious. Universities are a creation of the Christian world. They were first used primarily for religious instruction. They were created to make education available to the public with out the public having to join a monastery. Later on, Protestantism is why we have literacy. The doctrine of Sola Scriptura lay at the heart of it. You can't stick to the Bible alone if you can't read it. Look, there's allot I haven't even begun to touch on here about how Jesus changed our lives for the better. No one in all of human history has had the impact He has. There is a book for further reading if your interested called "How Christianity Changed The World" by Alvin J. Schmidt . You can by it used at amazon books and the shipping is around 4 dollars.

mabrewer forfeited this round.
Posted by JonathanDJ 2 years ago
Hey John thanks for the vote!!
Posted by JonathanDJ 2 years ago
Thanks for telling me that John, I disagree with Stal on this one. I busted my but on some of those posts and I deserve the tie or win.
Posted by johnlubba 2 years ago
Full Forfiet
Posted by JonathanDJ 2 years ago
Dude, I have no idea what FF means.
Posted by STALIN 2 years ago
Posted by JonathanDJ 2 years ago
The term "Son of Man" was an allusion to Daniel. The Son of Man is a divine figure depicted in the book of Daniel. Jesus was unique among living beings in that He possessed two natures simultaneously. He was fully man and fully God. I am not saying that God became man but rather that God put on humanity. Jesus is God because Scripture teaches that He is God. John 1:1 says "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
Posted by Sukhmeet 2 years ago
Jesus said he was the son of man
Posted by Constantine85 2 years ago
Jesus is not God

He is the son of God
Posted by dtaylor971 2 years ago
The BIble says that God is not man... how can he be both?
Posted by TheBigBambino 2 years ago
Jesus was both God and man.
Vote Placed by johnlubba 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro tried harder and forfeited less