LuciferWept
Sonofcharl

Jesus was a schizophrenic madman

Sonofcharl

LuciferWept

Pro

So, I am proposing that Jesus of Nazareth, commonly called Jesus Christ by the adherents of the religion he is purported to have founded, was a schizophrenic madman.

Rounds:

Round 1: Acceptance and Opening Argument (Very Brief)
Round 2: Argument
Round 3: CounterArgument and Closing.
Sonofcharl

Con

Hello.

Your a bit of a mixed up sort of a person. One minute you believe in a god of sorts and the next minute your claiming to be an atheist.

If you are an atheist and don't believe in the Christian god. Then surely you don't believe the tale of Jesus to be true.

Therefore Jesus must have been a mythical person.

Did the teller of the tale of Jesus, ascribe schizophrenia and madness to him?

I certainly can't remember it being mentioned before.

By the way, I'm definitely an atheist.
LuciferWept

Pro

I was actually hoping to piss of Christians, but this might be more interesting.

You doubt the veracity of Jesus of Nazareth because of the outlandish claims of his magical abilities. This is foolish. Of course there had to be somebody there. Hundreds of early adherents discussed him. Chances are, he was more like a schizophrenic and primitive version of Marx; ranging from claims of divinity and talking about some world in the hereafter (of which he never provided proof) to demands for handouts and more charity (a wandering carpenter who never appeared to be employed seems to be constantly mooching off of people).

One piece of evidence for this is that schizophrenia is not something one is born with, but something that one develops. Jesus did not start his wandering until he was in his thirties (According to most accounts). This can be taken that Jesus developed schizophrenia.

In addition, his lack of fear when faced with the possible punishment of crucifixion comes across as someone who does not grasp the gravity of the situation: a split from reality, which schizophrenia is.
Sonofcharl

Con

LOL.

An idle carpenter who mooches around making outlandish claims and not really doing anything.

Sounds just like my Brother in Law. Seriously.

1. We're both atheists. So I would assume we are in agreement about the whole son of god, immaculate conception thing being a myth.

Sure, Jesus could be based on an actual character. Jesus could have been his real name.

But let's not forget, that it wasn't Jesus who instigated and perpetuated this myth.

Jesus was just an innocent baby when everything kicked off.

I would suggest that Jesus and his family were not the madmen.

But those who coerced and subsequently manipulated them into going along with the nonsense.

I would also suggest that there are obvious comparisons to be made here with the formative years of the Dalai Lama.

And I'm sure no one would suggest that his conditioning caused the onset of a schizophrenic and mad personality.

2. Jesus showed no fear at his execution/crucifixion.

How do we know that?

All we have are the words of those who saw benefit and value in the perpetuation of the Christian myth.

I bet Jesus the poor fall guy, was actually bricking it!
LuciferWept

Pro

Well, if we can discard the gospel account of the crucifixion, I think we can also disregard its account of the virgin birth and, more importantly here, the claims made by Mary.

I propose this alternative:

Jesus espoused his ideology (or some rant that appeared much like what has been recorded) and many of his sycophants and other people who were in lower lower classes (whether due to actual inability to work or just laziness, recall this is an age before any welfare system truly existed) opted to copy his ideology.

Trying this on people throughout the region of Judea and finding that it failed, they invented many stories regarding the supposed "divinity" of their bronze age Marx. These were, of course, impossible and contradictory (see Gospel of Mark's account of how at the moment of crucifixion, the dead in Jerusalem came back and walked around).

Now, I would posit that some of these were based on the insane claims of the Nazarene madman. Granted, a schizophrenic's claims would be scattered and nearly impossible to understand (this bread is my body).

Sonofcharl

Con

Pro. Who claims to be an atheist, gives far to much credence to the tale of Jesus Christ and to the mythology that preceded and succeeded the life of Jesus.

That is assuming that the Jesus of the tale, was actually a real person.

In fact. Pros proposition is based entirely on assumption and also, entirely on their own interpretation of the mythical/fantastic/supernatural events that supposedly occurred during Jesus' lifetime.

Con asserts that, the whole Christian myth was instigated by and perpetuated by others.

Others that saw benefit and value in the creation and perpetuation of the myth.

Others that saw benefit and value in the manipulation of the family of a simple, gullible itinerant carpenter and his equally simple and gullible wife.

If Jesus did exist. He was merely a simple pawn in the political games of clever manipulative people who sought personal wealth and power.

Con would conclude that it is irrational to make assumptions about the mental health of someone, who has been deceased for two thousand years.

Especially if those assumptions are based solely on a mythological text, containing what can only be regarded as fictitious
accounts of fictitious, supernatural events.

There is no rational evidence whatsoever, to suggest that "Jesus was a schizophrenic madman".
Posted by skipsaweirdo 1 year ago
skipsaweirdo
Psychological assessment, having no known exposure to the person in question, is in itself probably based on projection. So the schizophrenic would be the one asserting the diagnosis.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
why
Vote Placed by Coveny 1 year ago
Coveny
LuciferWeptSonofcharlTied
Reasons for voting decision: I find Pro's "hoping to piss of Christians" poor conduct. Neither side took the debate very seriously. Con's claim that jesus never existed is the strongest claim, as Pro went so far as to say that the various accounts of jesus's life (crucifixion, virgin birth) could be discarded. If those parts of the account can be discarded, then it supports the claim that the rest of the account can be discarded as well. No sources, no points for sources.
Vote Placed by PowerPikachu21 1 year ago
PowerPikachu21
LuciferWeptSonofcharlTied
Reasons for voting decision: Jesus was said multiple times by Con (Pro subtly agreed) to not exist, seeing as how both debaters are atheist. Pro makes lots of claims about Jesus "mooching off of people", but never provides any sources, wanting us to do the research on our own. Con points out that all of Pro's arguments are just wild guesses. Seeing as how Pro fails to meet the burden of Jesus being schizophrenic, I have to give Argument points to Con by default. Neither side used sources, so I'll leave that tied.