Masterdebatr91
Rational_Thinker9119

Jim Carrey is better than Adam Sander

Rational_Thinker9119

Masterdebatr91

Pro

In this debate I will be affirming the resolution.
Resolved: Jim Carrey is better than Adam Sander
This is a debate for entertainment, so at least pretend to have fun!

RULES OF THIS DEBATE:
  • One video or link must be posted every round that i related to the topic!
  • No being a meany hole jerk face to eachother!
  • No other rules!

Contention #1: Jim Carrey is overall more successful!

As you can see, on this link thingy....

http://www.the-movie-times.com...

Jim Carrey makes much more money and everyone loves him more! Some awesome movies he has been in are.....

Liar, Liar

The Cable Guy

Ace Ventura

The Mask

Dumb and Dumber

The Truman Show

Adam Sandler has no chance in competeing with Jim Carrey!

I look foward to my opponents response!

Rational_Thinker9119

Con

"Contention #1: Jim Carrey is overall more successful!" - Masterdebatr91

I am willing to concede this point.

However, 2pac's net worth was $40,000,000 [1], and Justin Bieber has a net worth of $110,000,000 [2].

It is self-evident that 2 Pac is better than Justin Bieber, even though the case can be made that Justin Bieber is more successful. The point of this is to show that having more money does not necessarily indicate that one is better. In this case particularly; it cannot even get off of the ground as a plausibility argument.

The rest of Pro's argument consisted of:

(i) Bare assertions that Jim Carrey is better and that everyone loves him more

(ii) Lists of Jim Carrey movies

The above cannot be said to effect the resolution. Not much can as "better" is subjective, but I'll give it a go!

What gives Adam Sandler the edge?

I cannot seem to recall any memorable quotes from Jim Carrey.... I believe that Adam Sandler wins because he has more memorable quotes. This gives him a legitimate edge over the "success" argument from Pro due to content:

Billy Madison

"Stop looking at me Swan"

"He called the sh*t poop!"

"Shampoo is better, I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better, I leave the hair silky and smooth! Oh, really, fool?!"

Happy Gilmor

"The price is wrong, bitch"

The Wedding Singer

"But is all was bullsh*t, it was a goddamn joke! And when I think of you Linda...I hope you F*ckin' choke!"

Waterboy

"Viki Valencourt showed me her boobies and I liked them too!"

Little Nicky

"Get in the flask!"

Having more memorable quotes is stronger then who has more money when determining who the better comedic actor is. For this reason, the resolution has been negated.

Masterdebatr91

Pro

I will begin by attacking my opponents case then move on to prvoing that Jim Carrey is overall.

My oponents first argument:

My response to this:

This argument is based completely on my opponents opinion. My argument was based on a poll or a vote. The overall vote was for Jim Carrey. Not necessarily because he makes more money, but because he is funnier and an overall better actor. If I were to ask one thousand little Justin bieber girl fans, who do you like more Justin bieber or tu pac…the mojarity vote would be to like Justin bieber. So your argument is completely invalid because it is based on your opinion.

There af quotes that Jim Carrey says that makes him great and memorable to every age group.

Ace Ventura (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective):
"All righty then."The Mask (The Mask):
"Hold on, Sugar! Daddy's got a sweet tooth tonight!"

Lloyd Christmas (Dumb and Dumber):
"I'm talkin' about a place where the beer flows like wine, where the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talkin' about Aspen."

The Riddler (Batman Forever):
"Riddle me this, and riddle me that: who is afraid of the big, black bat?"

Fletcher Reede (Liar, Liar):
"Here it goes: I sped. I followed too closely. I ran a stop sign. I almost hit a Chevy. I sped some more. I failed to yield at a crosswalk. I changed lanes at an intersection. I changed lanes without signaling while running a red light and SPEEDING!"

Chip Douglas (The Cable Guy):
"Come on Stevie, time to leavey, It's the fun bus man!"

Fletcher Reede (Liar, Liar):
"I hold *myself* in contempt! Why should you be any different?"

The Riddler (Batman Forever):
"Tell the fat lady she's on in five."

With this being said.... I urge a pro ballot!

Rational_Thinker9119

Con

I think my opponent for this debate. However, I am going to show why his entire case fails.

Response To My Opponent's Arguments

"This argument is based completely on my opponents opinion. My argument was based on a poll or a vote. The overall vote was for Jim Carrey."

The problem with Pro's stance here should be self-evident right off of the bat; it is self-refuting. The poll votes were just based on the opinions of the voters. Therefore, if something based on opinion is not valid like Pro is suggesting with regards to my argument, then his argument with regards to the poll is invalid as well as it is based on the voter's opinions.

"Not necessarily because he makes more money, but because he is funnier and an overall better actor."

This would be their opinions though. My opponent rejected my argument about 2 Pac being better than Justin Bieber due to it being based on opinion, thus he has to reject his own argument if he is to stay consistent with his logic. Also, just because there are slightly more opinions in favor for Jim Carrey than Adam Sandler does not mean he is better. This is an Ad Populum [1] logical fallacy.

"If I were to ask one thousand little Justin Bieber girl fans, who do you like more Justin bieber or tu pac…the mojarity vote would be to like Justin bieber."

This would be selective sampling so this point is useless. If I were to ask one thousand people in the hood who was better, the majority vote would be for 2 Pac.

"So your argument is completely invalid because it is based on your opinion."

Actually, Pro's argument here fails because it is self-refuting. If something based on one's opinion is invalid, then the poll argument from Pro is invalid, as it is based on the voter's opinions. Also this is an Ad Populum fallacy anyway, which means it was invalid before further argumentation for it even got into the mix.

Pro then mentions many Jim Carrey quotes. The problem here is that only one of them is actually memorable. Which one? Of course, "alrighty then!". There was more than one memorable quote from Adam Sandler provided by me, therefore the resolution has been negated as Pro's last round was self-refuting, and just did not cut it as far as the burden of proof is concerned.

[1] http://philosophy.lander.edu...

Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
My bad.
Posted by Rational_Thinker9119 3 years ago
Rational_Thinker9119
"I cannot seem to recall any memorable quotes from Jim Carrey.."

Really??? How about, "Alrighty then!"?"

This is a debate. It does not necessarily matter what is true, but who argues for their position better. Also do not give my opponent ammo please lol
Posted by peterthepoledancingPANDA 3 years ago
peterthepoledancingPANDA
Jim Carrey!!
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos

Really??? How about, "Alrighty then!"?
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
It mattereth not, for Ricky Gervais is better than both.

The Invention of Lying
Ghost Town
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Just saying it... probably going to lose the S&P point for that first round.
Vote Placed by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
Masterdebatr91Rational_Thinker9119Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con dominated this debate. He didn't just show that Adam Sandler is better than Jim Carrey, but he successfully showed the flaws in Pro's reasoning. He substantiated his point with more sources.
Vote Placed by Greematthew 3 years ago
Greematthew
Masterdebatr91Rational_Thinker9119Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The font in the first round was just annoying. Con did a good job of showing that Sandler was better and refuting all of Pro's arguments against him. I like Jim Carrey better myself, but Con did better in this debate.