theantianarchy
cheekyhobo

Jimi Hendrix is the Best Guitar player ever.

Started: 3/13/2008 Category: Arts

theantianarchy

Pro

Lady or gentleman, I thank you for your time in debating this topic with me.

My first point will be talent. Jimi Hendrix is the one who virtually remade rock and roll. No one has ever come close to his level save Eddie Van Halen. Still Jimi can make you truly feel like how he wants you to feel.

My second point: Death makes the artist a legend. Hendrix is dead. And countless other legends are dead. This makes this magnificent artist a Legend.

My third point is popularity. Everyone knows Jimi Hendrix's name. If you don't, you've been living under a rock for the past thirty years and need to get out more. Hundreds of thousands of people have gone to his huge concerts because of his popularity. The music industry continues to benefit from Jimi's name and style.

Sorry, but if you disagree with me, you are a complete fool.
cheekyhobo

Con

I will make this short and sweet.

1) Hendrix wasn't good, it was the drugs he took that made him good. Rather than him having talent, the drugs were his talent. Don't get me wrong, he was still amazing.

2) One word. Santana.
theantianarchy

Pro

I am sorry cheekyhobo, but you are wrong. The kind of music that he played was called acid rock, however you cannot write songs when you are impaired by the drugs. You have not addressed my other points about popularity. Santana is good, but he is not known and feared across the world as Jimi was. The guitarist and brains behind The Who, Pete Townshend and Eric Clapton formed an aquaintence out of the feeling of being threatened by the popularity and sheer skill of Hendrix. If you listen to Hendrix's music, you can hear the technicality and skill of his awesome ability. The solos that he does are mind blowing as it is, but he does many variations of style that I have yet to see santana pull off; including playing with only his right hand (he was a lefty) and playing with his mouth. Jimi did do drugs, in fact, that is the reason he died, but he still was the man to beat when it came to his shredding skill. Really nobody comes close to playing as well as he does. If you would like to go to the following site you will learn more about the late Jimi Hendrix: http://philbrodieband.com...
You will find that Carlos Santana is nowhere to be found.
I anticipate your closing argument. I do hereby close by urging all who read this to vote Affirmative on this argument. Thank you.
cheekyhobo

Con

"The kind of music that he played was called acid rock, however you cannot write songs when you are impaired by the drugs. You have not addressed my other points about popularity. Santana is good, but he is not known and feared across the world as Jimi was." If someone demands authority by scaring people then that person is essentially horrible at what he or she does. It is because of this that Santana is better than Hendrix and will always be that way.
Posted by Nayrb 4 years ago
Nayrb
You have to see Hendrix alongside Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis or Stravinsky. He emerged in a popular context and was hungry for success and yes he 'played with his teeth' but there was a very rare talent he had that genuinely fought its way to the top. Being first to synthesize so many influences and then to take all things bravely forward requires genius. The drug movement was part of his time.
Such shouldn't define his work and legacy. His tunes are timeless. That is what he was aiming for I argue.
Posted by Kate_Krunk 7 years ago
Kate_Krunk
saying that "Jimi Hendrix is the Best Guitar player ever" is just an opion. not a fact.
Posted by theantianarchy 8 years ago
theantianarchy
there is no proof saying that the beatles wrote songs under the influence of drugs. unless you find an article in which one was there witnessing them writing while on drugs this argument is over. the beatles were geniuses when it came to producing music. Paul McCartney continues to come out with fun little ditties. Furthermore, i think there should be another word for drugs. maybe shinkers. No I am not on drugs(in case you're wondering) I'm just good at naming things XD. debate on, guys
Posted by behindblueeyes 9 years ago
behindblueeyes
I mean writing "on" drugs, as in under the influence of drugs.
Posted by theantianarchy 9 years ago
theantianarchy
I would like to congratulate the debators on their knowledge of stuff that I know too. It's a cool thing to share knowledge with others. Behindblueeyes, I would just like to say that that is not the reason the beatles were so good. Writing about drugs (you can add to the list if you want to) the only song that comes to mind is Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, which is about LSD. but the beatles had some serious production talent and their songwriting was awesome. BEATLES RULE!!! Debate on, y'all.
Posted by behindblueeyes 9 years ago
behindblueeyes
I really wish this could have been a deeper debate, not just focusing on Jimi/Santana.

...

You can in fact write songs on drugs, that's why the Beatles were so "good"
Posted by JasonMc 9 years ago
JasonMc
Ya, all of his newer stuff is way less complex compared to some of his older work with Ozzy, Book of Shadows / Pride and Glory, etc when he was more inspired by Al Dimeola and John McGloughlin and dabbled in Mahavistic jazz scales and phrasing techniques that are way beyond the amature level.
I think his sound back during the end of his first run with Ozzy and the beginning of his solo career was one of the best mixes of melody, speed, versatility, and technicality in modern music. The only other player that I feel comes close is Stevie Ray Vaughn. I guess I'd say the two are neck and neck in my book.

I read an Ozzy quote once about how he compares all guitar players to Randy Rhodes, stating that "Most guitar players use their guitars as an extension of their penis, but Randy was an extension of his guitar." Like many extremely talented guitarists, such as James Hetfield, Mike McCready ans Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam, etc, I think this statement applies to Zakk earlier in his career. Sadly, now that he's much older, it seems the latter is more applicable. It makes me wonder if these guitarists just lost their passion after they became successful.
Posted by theantianarchy 9 years ago
theantianarchy
JasonMc, you are correct on nearly all of your points and I applaud your knowledge of the musical world. However, Zakk Wylde is quite melodic in his work, but his solos consist mainly of scales and arpeggios played at high speed that even some ametuer guitarist could play if slowed down a bit. He rocks, but he is simple. I am not attacking any of the points that you made, but only pointing out what I have observed myself. Debate on, Bro.
Posted by JasonMc 9 years ago
JasonMc
No doubt Jimi was great, but it's impossible to say that any one player is or was the best ever. There are too many factors that come into play here. First you have genre to consider. In terms of a rock guitarist, Jimi was better than jazz guitarist Al Dimeola, but Al's technical ability and speed blow Jimi out of the water.

This brings us to another aspect, which is the balance between technical ability and melody. Obviously, Jimi was a very melodic player. To say that he was the best melodic player is highly debatable, considering so many other players with comparable abilities such as Slash or Jimmy Page. As far as technical ability is concerned, Hendrix is pretty low on the totem pole, especially since he couldn't read music and knew little about music theory.

When it comes to originality, Jimi may very well be the best. There are some names that come to mind, such as Tom Morrelo, that I would even begin to compare to Jimi concerning originality since Jimi preceded so many.

If I had to pick the best overall guitarist ever, I'd pick Zakk Wylde, though he's reverted to some c*ck rocker stage as of late. He's very melodic in much of his music, always technical, lightning fast, and extremely versatile.
Posted by theantianarchy 9 years ago
theantianarchy
dang, I should have made this more than two rounds. I need to explain myself. theLwerd, I'll consider your challenge.
Vote Placed by cjjavier3 9 years ago
cjjavier3
theantianarchycheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by PhillyEgls20 9 years ago
PhillyEgls20
theantianarchycheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by The_brick 9 years ago
The_brick
theantianarchycheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by theantianarchy 9 years ago
theantianarchy
theantianarchycheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by sadolite 9 years ago
sadolite
theantianarchycheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by Cye 9 years ago
Cye
theantianarchycheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 9 years ago
GaryBacon
theantianarchycheekyhoboTied