AOP
Gibby97

Jimmy Carter: Best President Ever

Gibby97

AOP

Pro

Jimmy Carter:

The only President to not wage war (although I'm sure there were some going on while he was Pres.)

Put up solar panels while he was Pres on the White House to show his support of free energy, which Reagan promptly removed.

Wrote a book about how Israel was stolen from Palestine (even though America was stolen from Indians).

Seems like a great, common sense guy, still alive at 90. Are there any who would disagree with the proposed suggestions and say that Jimmy Carter was a bad person or is?
Gibby97

Con

Jimmy Carter by far is one of the worst Presidents ever. Besides fumbling the Iran Hostage Crisis, in which he made the United States look foolish, Carter caused economic issues galore in the United States. He caused mortgage rate hikes that went fluttering causing many Americans to lose their homes. He is responsible for the gas shortages which caused many to suffer hardships. The only positive coming from Carter is that Ronald Reagan was elected to fix his messes. Ending the Cold War, stabilizing the American economy, and resurrecting America make Reagan a better President than Carter. Oh if he was the best ever, why did he not win his second term?
AOP

Pro

For the fact that he commanded the world"s largest and most lethal military for four years without "dropping one bomb, launching one missile, or firing one shot," if you've ever seen War Inc" Nuff said. War is a BUSINESS. And the military industrial complex CONTRACTS companies who support them, like Blackwater. He was a PEACE President, and America has a war on everything, war on education, war on drugs, war on terror, war on fill in the blank. America has NEVER been in a time of Peace, except under him. You want war, go ahead and make your argument. As far as all you wanna talk about with the economy, that has more to do with resources and corporations and supply and demand than Presidents. Gas shortages were not his fault, there is plenty of oil. It has to do with OIL COMPANIES. Same with mortgages, had to do with BANKS. You can"t blame the government or it"s executive chief for the economic market. And just because he didn't win his second term doesn't mean anything. People in this country don"t have control over who their president is. Just look at how Ron Paul was shown to have ZERO votes in Ohio and lots of people came out and said, "I voted for him." As far as the Iran Hostage Crisis, you didn't really make a point, other than the finger you point, like you did with everything else. If you want to say he"s responsible for something, like mortgage rates or gas shortages, don"t just say he did this or he did that. PROVE IT. Back up what you say. I could say Peter Pan was responsible for Hook losing his hand, but what if it was just karma and the crocodile of fate? I"d have to show you evidence that Peter Pan cut off his hand and fed it to the crocodile, wouldn't I? As far as I see it, you"re not really making any specific allegations, just general ones that are out of a president"s control. Situations arise and we as humans deal with them the best we can. He seems today to be a legit humanitarian with regard to his ACTIONS in my best estimations and because he was the only President to never declare war or act hostile to anyone I consider him to be the best, though I"m sure anyone profiting from the military industrial complex and war companies that sell bombs, you might have a different view, since he didn't put any money into your pocketbook.
Gibby97

Con

You appear to brag that Carter was the only President not engulfed in war. That is not the case as JFK led the United States during the Cold War and dodging the war to the end the world during the Cuban Missile Crisis. There is no other President in our great country's history that would have even matched JFK's success, especially Carter. Carter did a fantastic job of appeasing the Soviet Union during his Presidency and would allow dictatorships to prosper in North Korea, Cuba, and Iraq. And yet it still does not matter about what he did, the man still lost his re election. If the American people were happy with his first four years surely they would have elected him like they did dozens of times before and a few times since.

http://www.sfgate.com...
AOP

Pro

Not bragging. Honestly I wasn"t even born yet. I do agree with you that JFK was also a great president. A lot of people hated JFK too from what I understand, and that could have been due to media bias. From what I understand JFK went against the big military industrial complex for the Cuban Missile Crisis. However he also created the Red Cross from what I understand, a Jesuit-Vatican organization, which, since all the CIA were Knights of Malta at the time, agents of the Vatican, who helped the Nazi"s escape, I don"t necessarily buy all the circumstances surrounding his death. Reagan was a movie star, so just because he lost the debate is arguable. There are too many "Secret Society" connections attached to JFK, a man who claimed to be against those things. He greatly expanded the covert operations he spoke out against through the creation of the Red Cross. There"s a good article you can read about this which I will provide documentation for if you"d like. JFK also was disloyal to his wife.
Gibby97

Con

I understand and completely agree that JFK's personal life was rather controversial. However we are debating if Carter is the greatest President ever not the greatest person. If we are looking at it from a political standpoint, which I believe is the question, there is no question both men I mentioned: Presidents Reagan and Kennedy, are far more superior to Jimmy Carter.
AOP

Pro

Well if we are looking at it from a philosophical point of view, what makes a great president OR great anyone doesn't necessarily mean what the popular vote supports. Look at how Obama got re-elected. People thought they were gonna get free phones and their mortgages were gonna be wiped clean. It was of course a total joke, yet people called him the greatest potentate ever even before he was elected. It was gonna be a real change. But everything he said and promised turned out to be double-speak. So just because Reagan and JFK are looked upon as "great," doesn't mean they were just because the majority thought so. Because not only do people believe what they want to, they believe what they are told (propaganda), because the Truth is difficult to accept. It's like trying to empty the Pacific with a paper cup. There is a huge difference between what people want and what people need.
Gibby97

Con

I do not understand the logic of your argument. You are discussing their lies and potential flaws yet all that matters is their Administration's accomplishments. Lincoln freed the slaves and united a divided nation hence he is highly respected. H.W. Bush about raising taxes yet his administration will be best remembered for the successful Gulf War. As I said before, this argument should be based on successful administrations. Jimmy Carter does not have a successful administration. If you choose to believe it was successful, surely not as successful as Lincoln, Reagan, JFK, or H.W. Bush.
AOP

Pro

Oh please, don"t try to stear this conversation into the arms of George Bush. He was terrible, passed the Patriot Act. That"s what he"ll be remembered as, an ANTI-CONSTITUTIONALIST. Look dude, Carter was a great man and you should show some RESPECT. I challenge you to show the pro side of his presidency. If you had to say something good about him, do it. It is a debate, but if you had to say something good about Carter, what would it be? Because I don't think you've considered, though all people have positive and negative qualities. So what would you say was his positive? You've already expressed his negatives in your opine.
Gibby97

Con

First off you should've been able to read that I mentioned George H.W Bush and the Gulf War not his son George W. Bush. Secondly I cannot give you the positives of the Carter Administration cause frankly there aren't any. Raising the gas tax, the failure that was Iran-Hostage Crisis, and the mortgage issues I do not consider to be positive accomplishments. You could mention the return of the Panama Canal to the Panamanians however I do not consider that to make Carter the Best President ever. Also a question to pose to you as I leave this debate: If Carter was the Best ever, why was he so easily defeated by Ronald Reagan when he ran for a second term? Thank you for participating in this debate and best of luck in the future.
Posted by That1User 2 years ago
That1User
"Are there any who would disagree with the proposed suggestions and say that Jimmy Carter was a bad person or is (not)?" There is a difference between a bad person and a bad president. There is little doubt that Carter is a good person, mainly by promoting human rights, establishing the USD of Education, and the USD of Energy, and by reforming Social Security. He is viewed as a mixed president, however, because of the American economy was stagnating during his term, there were oil shortages, and he unsucessfully dealt with the Iranian Hostage Crisis.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
AOPGibby97Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Only Con had sources.