THE_OPINIONATOR
vardas0antras

Johnny Cash was a better artist than Elvis Pressly

vardas0antras
Started: 12/18/2010 Category: Arts

THE_OPINIONATOR

Pro

Johnny Cash was a better artist than Elvis Pressly. The taker of this debate must start his argument in the next roun, and he/she may not vote for themselves. Good luck to whoever accepts this debate
vardas0antras

Con

I'll begin as asked in the next round. Incidentally the word round is misspelled "roun".
THE_OPINIONATOR

Pro

Born:February 26, 1932 in Kingsland, Arkansas
Name: J.R Cash (Johnny Cash was his stage name)

Johnny Cash was an ordinary man with a passion for music. His family worked in the fields of Dyess, Arkansas. When in 1950 he left Dyess, Arkansas for Pontiac, Michigan. His time in Michigan was short lived when he decided to join the U.S Air Force. This is where his music career started to take off. Johnny started a group called the Landsberg Barbarians. This gave him a chance to play live shows.

I will state and explain my contentions in the next round an have my summary and rebuttals in the last round.

Good luck to my opponent! I thank you for this wonderful opportunity to debate this topic.
vardas0antras

Con

This round is basically a waste since my opponent has not yet attempted to fulfill his burden of proof. What is his burden of proof? Here's a list:
1. Prove that someone can be a better artist (That is how can a human be better than another human ?).
2. Prove that art can be measured (not the same thing as in nr.1)
3. Prove that you're measuring art correctly.
4. Prove that when measured Johny Cash and not Elvis is the better artist.
5. Prove that alternative ways of approaching the whole thing is likely to be erroneous.
6. Finally I imagine you'll be (if fulfilling your burdens) providing many links and comparisons. That is if you prove that one can measure art and the way to measure it, you'll have the burden of measuring and comparing the best and the worst of both artist. Incidentally there may be something I'm not thinking of but this is probably what you'll end up doing.

Definitions:

Better:
"of superior quality or excellence: a better coat; a better speech."
Art:
"the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance."

Dictionary.com

Thank you and I hope you too will enjoy this debate !
THE_OPINIONATOR

Pro

1. Music- The music Johnny Cash wrote and played sounded like no other. "Ring of fire" was written with Mexican trumpets in the background this gave the song a very distinguished sound. "Walk the Line" opening melody is played backwards on the guitar, and the sound is unforgettable. Johnny Cash was the only artist to be in the writers, country and rock hall of fames. He has recorded more than 1,500 songs and they can be found on about 500 albums, counting only American and European releases he has placed 48 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 Pop charts, about the same number as the Rolling Stones and the Beach Boys. He is one of the very few people in the history of music to sell more than 50 million records.
http://www.sing365.com...

2.Image- During his long career Johnny Cash was seen as a rebel, and a man who spoke for those who couldn't speak. "Bitter Tears: Ballads of the American Indian" was an album about the troubles of native Americans. Johnny also played his music at many Prisons. In the 1970s he earned the name "Man in Black" because he usually performed in all black. He also got his outlaw image in the 1960s when he drank and did drugs very heavily. He continued to struggle with drugs all of his life but never used as much as before.

3. Long Career- Johnny Cash had a longer career (1955–2003) than Elvis Presley (1954–77). Elvis indeed was more popular than Johnny, but popularity doesn't always mean you are better.

I ask that you vote PRO because Johnny Cash had more success in his longer career and recorded better songs than Elvis.
vardas0antras

Con

"I ask that you vote PRO because Johnny Cash had more success in his longer career and recorded better songs than Elvis." And because you didn't fulfill the many burdens you had which are listed in round two.

I don't have anything to do I mean, look:
Burdens Of Proof:
1. Not even mentioned.
2. Not even mentioned.
3. Not even mentioned though he did measure art.
4. Mentioned but incorrectly plus he ignored his first three burdens.
5. Not even mentioned
6. No comparison has been made hence no case has been made either.

For fun Ill present a case for Elvis Presley (Its Presley and not Pressly)

"Elvis Presley (January 8, 1935 – August 16, 1977) is the king of rock 'n' roll.
Presley brought a sense of showmanship, of being the center stage in a way that the big bands and 40's singers never did. And he brought sex on stage, with his pelvic gyrations and dance steps that shocked and titillated youngsters while horrifying their parents. (Rock hasn't lost that aspect either, though the cutting edge has splintered into punk, industrial, metal, and various other genres that continue to excite the audience and horrify their parents to this day)"
http://www.askdavetaylor.com...

"Elvis Aaron Presleya (January 8, 1935 – August 16, 1977) was one of the most popular American singers of the 20th century. A cultural icon, he is widely known by the single name Elvis. He is often referred to as the "King of Rock and Roll" or simply "the King"."wikipedia.org

"His music and his personality, fusing the styles of white country and black rhythm and blues, permanently changed the face of American popular culture. His following was immense, and he was a symbol to people the world over of the vitality, rebelliousness, and good humor of his country."
President Jimmy Carter

Elvis is a legend and when it comes to legends there's no good or bad, only personal preference. Incidentally you've to fulfill your burdens or lose like an irresponsible Genghis Khan.

Thank you 'n' rock and roll for ever !!!
THE_OPINIONATOR

Pro

1. "Prove that someone can be a better artist (That is how can a human be better than another human ?)." Johnny Cash was better because A. His career was longer B. When Elvis was still alive Johnny had his own show "The Johnny Cash Show" C. Johnny Cash had more success in his long career

2." Prove that art can be measured (not the same thing as in nr.1)" Yes art can be measured such as quality of the art. Would you Rather pay a million dollars for a drawing by a four year old or a painting by a very famous artist.

4. "Mentioned but incorrectly plus he ignored his first three burdens." You never defined how it should be measured you just said it needed to state how Johnny Cash is measured, and you never stated a specific way of doing so.

5. "Prove that alternative ways of approaching the whole thing is likely to be erroneous." You can judge both arts on music, action, personality and career success

6.Compressions- 1. Longer career Johnny Cash had a longer career (1955�€"2003) than Elvis Presley (1954�€"77).
2. Success- Johnny Cash had more awards, record sales and even had a tv show
3.Personality- Johnny Cash was a simple man and it showed. He was kind to everyone and always put on a good show for all of his fans. He did things that most artist wouldn't do. He played at Folsom Prison, and San Quinton as well. He also during many concerts would turn his back on the crowd. This was something not many artist did due to the flying debre that may have been thrown. Johnny Cash was a regular man just like the rest of us and thats why he was so well liked, because we could relate to him.

"He was friendly with every United States President starting with Richard Nixon. He was closest with Jimmy Carter, who became a very close friend.[49] He stated that he found all of them personally charming, noting that this was probably essential to getting oneself elected."
http://en.wikipedia.org......

Instead of waving his crouch around in women's faces he used his music and personality to capture the harts of fans all around the world

I ask that you vote PRO because Johnny Cash had more success, a better personality, and a longer career.
vardas0antras

Con

1. Not addressed properly. I expected my opponent to go into what art and what an artist is ; instead he said why he thinks Johnny Cash is better. He had to show how can someone be better but instead said why ; there's a difference.
2." Would you Rather pay a million dollars for a drawing by a four year old or a painting by a very famous artist"
If the four year old was my child who aspired to be an artist, I would choose the four year old ; I wouldn't even be thinking about the other artist and hes painting.
3. He dealt with this one in the previous point, erroneously.
4. "you never stated a specific way of doing so" Your burden , your problem.
5. What ? That was irrelevant

The rest is a summary of Johnny Cash career oh and this wasn't even mentioned: "Elvis is a legend and when it comes to legends there's no good or bad, only personal preference."

"You've to fulfill your burdens or lose like an irresponsible Genghis Khan."
Indeed

Thank you,
M
.
Posted by THE_OPINIONATOR 6 years ago
THE_OPINIONATOR
vardas0antras thanks for debating me on this topic, I will debate you any time!
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
@J.Kenyon
Good to know
Posted by J.Kenyon 6 years ago
J.Kenyon
"I'll begin as asked in the next round. Incidentally the word round is misspelled 'roun'."

Incidentally, you left out a comma and the period belongs inside the quotation marks.
Posted by LiquidLiquid 6 years ago
LiquidLiquid
Charlie Feathers murders both of them :)
Posted by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
Thanks guys, fun debate. I like Pro's zeal, but his argument fell to con's simply based on burden of proof. Con lost the conduct vote based on a hint of smugness. Normally, I would never hold this against someone, but pro exhibited no smugness. This is rare in debate, and it gets a point from me. Also, I would go with Cash any day of the week.
Posted by THE_OPINIONATOR 6 years ago
THE_OPINIONATOR
I dont know why my argument came out that way, when I reveiwed it it didnt look as it does now! Well if my hopes where not shurely crushed before they are now!!
Posted by vardas0antras 6 years ago
vardas0antras
Its a honor to debate you :) now please excuse my late responses for I have about 5 other debates, however, be assured that I won't forfeit.
Vote Placed by boomeranghugs 6 years ago
boomeranghugs
THE_OPINIONATORvardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by MikeNovotny 6 years ago
MikeNovotny
THE_OPINIONATORvardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by Awed 6 years ago
Awed
THE_OPINIONATORvardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
THE_OPINIONATORvardas0antrasTied
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
THE_OPINIONATORvardas0antrasTied