Antonio_Gonzalez
cmaboy1126

Joing the military after high school is a wrong move

Antonio_Gonzalez

Con

Do you think it's right to join the military after high school? or should you go to college first?
cmaboy1126

Pro

I'm not sure which side it says I am on, and I am new to this website, but I will be debating that joining the military after high school is not a wrong move. I am an Air Force ROTC candidate. There are ways to be in the military and still go to college at the same time.

1. Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)
This option allows for a candidate officer to attend college at one of very many colleges and universities on a full scholarship in the US while also training with a branch.

2. Strategic Sealift Officer Program
At any of the maritime schools across the United States, is the SSOP. They are a division of the Navy Merchant Marines and is just like ROTC.

3. United States Service Academies
Any of the five military academies of the US is a way to be guaranteed commission into the military as an officer right after graduation. These schools are among the most prestigious in the world. Currently, there is West Point (Army), Annapolis (Navy), Colorado Springs (Air Force), King's Point (Merchant Marine), and New London (Coast Guard).

Even without these, there are high school graduates who may not be able to afford college, and may join the military as Active Reserve, Reserve, or National Guard and attend college at the same time. Even active duty servicemen are able to get college credits through overseas classes. Therefore, joining the military after high school is not a wrong move.
Antonio_Gonzalez

Con

Those points you made are excellent ones, but unfortunately for me, i'm being forced to do at least 2 years in college, then join the military if I so choose.
cmaboy1126

Pro

cmaboy1126 forfeited this round.
Antonio_Gonzalez

Con

If I was to do at least 2 years in college, then after those two years, enlist, would i enter the military with a higher rank?
cmaboy1126

Pro

No, if you just enlist, you start from the bottom, but there's nothing wrong with that. If you're going to a JC or Community College, I recommend applying for a transfer to one of the academies.
Posted by Antonio_Gonzalez 3 years ago
Antonio_Gonzalez
I think this debate is a great one, and all the points made by cmaboy1126 very helpful and true.